Is it legal to carry while at work in Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeePeeMcGee

Jun 24, 2013
    NOVA
    I work at an office in a rough area of Prince George's County, Maryland. I work behind a desk all day. I have the consent of my boss to bring a firearm to work each day. The owner of the business leases the building. I have no intention to carry outside of the building or off of the property. I will transport the firearm legally to and from work by storing the firearm and magazine separately in my vehicle. Do I have all bases covered? Is this legal?

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    I believe you can if you have it in writing on company letterhead stating it's ok

§ 4-203.
    (b) This section does not prohibit:
    (7) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee:

(i) in the course of employment;

(ii) within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and

(iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    This is not legal advice.

(a) (1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
    (i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;
    (ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;

(b) This section does not prohibit:
    (7) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee:
    (i) in the course of employment;
    (ii) within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and
    (iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment;

ETA: Where is "written permission" written?

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    Define legal. As in will you make it to work and never be harassed by the cops for doing so? Or do you infact mean that are you covered while defending your rights and or property while on the job?

While seemingly an innocuous question they are very different.

While in Maryland it is safer to let them kill you than to actually defend yourself and face the law.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Written permission prohibits owner/supervisor from stating something else after the fact (like the employee was not allowed to carry, or they did it on their own and I did not notice) when the rubber meets the road.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    This is not legal advice.

Better safe than sorry, especially when the boss suddenly says "I didn't say he could do that"

It does say "authorized" and I'm sure you well know verbal authorization is an interesting path to take....

PeePeeMcGee

Jun 24, 2013
    NOVA
    At this point, I have verbal permission. I am 100% positive the owner would give me written permission. Also, FWIW I am a manager in the company and serve in a supervisory role. I plan on open carrying in the office.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    As already stated, if you are a supervisory employee and your is ok with it, GTG. That's how I read it. Although having it in writing not required, I'd probably type up a simple letter of approval and ask the boss/owner sign it, just to CYA.

Good on you, good luck.

PeePeeMcGee

Jun 24, 2013
    NOVA
    Yeah I will most likely draft something on company letterhead and have him sign off.

He suggested something about me possibly getting insurance through the NRA incase, god forbid, I have to use force to defend myself?? Does anyone know anything about the insurance he is referring to??

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Not a legality, but some other things you should look into:
    1) Company policy in regard to firearms.
    2) The corporate insurance policy: what is covered, and what isn't.

PeePeeMcGee

Jun 24, 2013
    NOVA
    Our company policy regarding firearms is completely 2A friendly.Almost all of the managers in our office are avid firearms collectors and outdoorsmen.

Does anyone know anything about the NRA insurance??

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Our company policy regarding firearms is completely 2A friendly.Almost all of the managers in our office are avid firearms collectors and outdoorsmen.

Does anyone know anything about the NRA insurance??

If you are looking for insurance, PM woodstock.

IIRC, he can get you in touch for insurance per se for firearm carriers.

edit: it's in his signature http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    Not to butt in, but if I am understanding this correctly, if I have express written permission to carry a handgun at a place of employment where I work, I may do so? As long as I am on that business property?

For some reason I was under the impression that I would still need a CCW.

PeePeeMcGee

Jun 24, 2013
    NOVA
    From what I understand the answer is Yes--as long as you do not carry the firearm outside the confines of the business building.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Not to butt in, but if I am understanding this correctly, if I have express written permission to carry a handgun at a place of employment where I work, I may do so? As long as I am on that business property?

For some reason I was under the impression that I would still need a CCW.

You only need permission as Nate pointed out earlier in this thread.

The wise choice is to get written permission, so memory lapses do not occur after an incident.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Define legal. As in will you make it to work and never be harassed by the cops for doing so? Or do you infact mean that are you covered while defending your rights and or property while on the job?

While seemingly an innocuous question they are very different.

While in Maryland it is safer to let them kill you than to actually defend yourself and face the law.

That's the advice from Baltimore PD. http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/06/robert-farago/quote-day-baltimore-pd-advice-crime-victims/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom