• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    Expanding on the title, I am moving into a single family house in Howard county that does not have a dryer and does not have a 220v outlet for one. There are still 3 slots open in the breaker box and the basement is unfinished so the 75' of wire won't be a problem to run safely. I am more than comfortable doing this myself but wanted to make sure to check if there was any permitting involved.

Thanks in advance!

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    A permit is required. I believe in Howard county a homeowner can pull their own electrical permit.

CronusTRD

Creeper
    Mar 1, 2007
    I don't think HoCo charges a permit fee for 1 outlet. I think the fee kicks in at 10 or more, but that might be for 110v only, but a Master Electrician has to pull it. Homeowner cannot.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    There are still 3 slots open in the breaker box and the basement is unfinished so the 75' of wire won't be a problem to run safely. I am more than comfortable doing this myself . . .

If this true I simply don't understand the question? :rolleyes:

CronusTRD

Creeper
    Mar 1, 2007
    You should delete this thread and start a new one asking what to do about the 1 slot left in your breaker box.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    While I agree with the underlying consensus on DIY, you also need to check a few things first to be sure it is safe to add this load. Just because there are "open" breaker spaces doesn't mean the panel can support the added line, it probably can but you should be sure. Try and find out what you service and panel are rated for, (200 amps?) and then make sure their aren't any added loads like multiple electric ranges/heat pumps/hot-tubs etc. Their may be a reason they didn't have an electric dryer outlet installed.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Not that this directly answers your question, but Howard County wanted me to pay $150 for a plumbing permit and $150 for an electrical permit to have plumbers install the flex hose natural gas line and connector to the outside and an electrician to attach a ground wire to the exterior pipe and run it into the breaker box. The electrician charged me $150 for the service and told me that no permit was needed. He was wrong.

I waited for the violation notice to arrive and then gave the head of the permitting department a call to let him know how I felt about having to pay $300 in permit fees for a $1,500 job (which I thought was insane for the job, but it was the lowest quote I received). Pretty crazy to have to have an electrical inspector come by to check out the ground wire. My point was that the plumbing inspector that does these inspections should be able to verify the ground wire placement.

End of the day, they changed their policy and I didn't need to pay for the electrical permit. He also told me that he was getting mock ups from the various meter and breaker box manufacturers to train the plumbing inspectors to do the ground wire inspection. Sometimes, you actually speak to somebody intelligent and reasonable in government. Animal control, not so much.

With that said, I am guessing you would legally need to pull a permit for a 220v line, but that is just a guess.

Kind of crazy that they make it virtually impossible for a homeowner to "legally" work on his/her own house nowadays.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Not that this directly answers your question, but Howard County wanted me to pay $150 for a plumbing permit and $150 for an electrical permit to have plumbers install the flex hose natural gas line and connector to the outside and an electrician to attach a ground wire to the exterior pipe and run it into the breaker box. The electrician charged me $150 for the service and told me that no permit was needed. He was wrong.

I waited for the violation notice to arrive and then gave the head of the permitting department a call to let him know how I felt about having to pay $300 in permit fees for a $1,500 job (which I thought was insane for the job, but it was the lowest quote I received). Pretty crazy to have to have an electrical inspector come by to check out the ground wire. My point was that the plumbing inspector that does these inspections should be able to verify the ground wire placement.

End of the day, they changed their policy and I didn't need to pay for the electrical permit. He also told me that he was getting mock ups from the various meter and breaker box manufacturers to train the plumbing inspectors to do the ground wire inspection. Sometimes, you actually speak to somebody intelligent and reasonable in government. Animal control, not so much.

With that said, I am guessing you would legally need to pull a permit for a 220v line, but that is just a guess.

Kind of crazy that they make it virtually impossible for a homeowner to "legally" work on his/her own house nowadays.

As any commercial electrician can tell you... It is even crazier what some home owners have put together when working a DIY connection. Too many house fires and death traps are what caused the counties to enact ordinances to prohibit Johnny home owner from dangerous DYI tragedies. Yes, some of us know that a 220 requires proper amperage wiring, breaker boxes, ground etc... But that does not stop the fools from trying to use the old brown two wire TV extention cords to do the job and laying the wires directly on the wood floor joist.

You should see some of the set ups in the city... Try a whole house wired with an orange fifty foot power tool extention cord, tied into the electric meter box on the house next door. AND for added fun, the cord was draped across the steel chain link fence between the houses. AND there is more... That fence was connected to the fences in ten back yards in either direction in the alley.

Yes, people really ARE that stupid. Proof can be found by googling "POTUS 2008 to present". :sad20:

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    As any commercial electrician can tell you... It is even crazier what some home owners have put together when working a DIY connection. Too many house fires and death traps are what caused the counties to enact ordinances to prohibit Johnny home owner from dangerous DYI tragedies. Yes, some of us know that a 220 requires proper amperage wiring, breaker boxes, ground etc... But that does not stop the fools from trying to use the old brown two wire TV extention cords to do the job and laying the wires directly on the wood floor joist.

You should see some of the set ups in the city... Try a whole house wired with an orange fifty foot power tool extention cord, tied into the electric meter box on the house next door. AND for added fun, the cord was draped across the steel chain link fence between the houses. AND there is more... That fence was connected to the fences in ten back yards in either direction in the alley.

Yes, people really ARE that stupid. Proof can be found by googling "POTUS 2008 to present". :sad20:

I'm a retired Master Electrician and still a Maryland State Authorized Electrical Inspector. This man speaks the truth! I too have seen many, many "harry homeowner" hack jobs. Just because you own a screwdriver does NOT mean you know what you are doing with it. Some folks do and some folks clearly don't!

As to the OP's question yes, you need a permit. Some jurisdictions will allow a homeowner to take a test and then get a permit themselves to do work in their own homes and some allow a Master Electrician to perform "Minor Installations" without a permit, None allow a homeowner do anything more than change a light bulb without a permit. The system is set up to ensure the safety of you and your family as well as the next family that might live in your home.

fnfalsar48

Feb 27, 2011
    Virginia
    If it's really about the safety of you and others....then why don't you need a permit to work on your car?? brakes, steering etc.

ERIC S NOEL

Jun 14, 2010
    huntingtown Md
    Run the wire,mount the box,buy the breaker and panel connector. Than hire the local electrician to hook it up. The 2 Hr minimum charge will be worth it. Just check to see if the contractor has a trip fee that thing can get pricey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom