• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ten75ice

Career Fire Fighter
    Mar 12, 2011
    Falling Waters, WV
    Hey everybody, I'm looking for input on using iron sights on my AR. I am brand new to the AR world, but not rifles in general. I want to be proficient with iron sights before I go to any kind of optic. What distance do you feel I should accurately shoot and sight in for?

My uses for the rifle is purely recreational at this time. Maybe competition later on, and the occasional armageddon scenario!

B.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Hey everybody, I'm looking for input on using iron sights on my AR. I am brand new to the AR world, but not rifles in general. I want to be proficient with iron sights before I go to any kind of optic. What distance do you feel I should accurately shoot and sight in for?

My uses for the rifle is purely recreational at this time. Maybe competition later on, and the occasional armageddon scenario!

B.

You should start with sighting in the rifle at 25 yards, just to get on paper. Once on paper (and reasonably centered) you should then move out to 100 yards. Once you get that figured out start doubling it. So then 200 yards (good zero to have), and 400 yards. Finally, once you are drilling them at 400 yards move out to 600 yards.

It's going to be a while before you move past 400 yards, if accuracy is important to you. You should plan on a different rifle for competing as opposed to just plinking. It would be hard to be competitive without a heavy barrel setup with match sights.

I would also recommend shooting an appleseed event. The simulated 400 yard targets will give you an understanding of how challenging shooting 400 yards really is.

There is a fair amount of work to be done to really shoot well (competition well) at even 100 yards (and I need to take my own advice).

Mark

SungJunKim

R.I.P.
    Dec 25, 2009
    Matech is pretty good and theres a surplus for sale on gunbroker($30-60). Its what we used in the Army

Kchen986

aka "SWAT" =P
    Oct 12, 2008
    50 Yard Zero on 16" AR15

M855%20vs%20M193%2016%20inch%20barrel.jpg

[Credits Molon]

Do a 50 yard zero and you'll be within 2" of your point of aim all the way out to 250 yards.

If you have access to a 25 yard range that allows you to use an AR15, you can do a 50 yard zero with this target. Aim at the green dot, and try to get your shots to end up in the grey bulls eye.

25%20yard%2050%20yard%20zero2.jpg

I've had bad experiences with the Matech. Used it on an USGI rifle, and the retention detent failed, resulting in the BUIS popping up every time I shot the rifle.

...This is all assuming you're setting up a fighting carbine, and not a target rifle.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I agree with everything Mark said. When you shoot at 100 for the first time, try putting up some brown wrapping paper behind the target. If you miss, this way you can see where you are hitting. If you are using small targets without the paper or spotter, it's going to make for a confusing, frustrating session.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Not sure of the differences between the iron sights on an M16A2 and the AR15.
    If you are close to the NG Armory in Hagerstown, stop in and ask someone ther if you can get the "25 Meters zeroing target" for the M16A2.

It will help getting on target and will get you familiar with using and adjusting the sights.

ten75ice

Career Fire Fighter
    Mar 12, 2011
    Falling Waters, WV
    Cool, I could keep just about all my rounds on paper at 100 yds my first time out last weekend. With a standard size rifle target. I will definately zero at 50yds first though, next time out.

Thanks fellas

B.

EurAzn12

Mar 29, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    600ydtarget-1.jpg

That's 600 yards in the x-ring of a standard high power target (6inch x-ring)... AR-15s are very accurate (I've shot my mouse gun out to a 1000... accurately albeit I was using a seriously hot load to keep the 75gr bullet supersonic). I'd recommend sighting in for 200yds, that way you know you're spot on for longer distance and your 50yd zero should be "close." At 600 you're gonna be around 15 MOA higher than your 200yd dope... :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom