• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Wow! I got to go shoot me up some almost trashed 1911's, come up with a great war story and have some old guys write them out....then put said guns, one at a time, spaced some months or years apart on Gunbroker.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Buy the gun, not the story, they tell me, but I think the story (and the gun) is worth about a hundred bucks, on a day that I have that much to spare.

But I always was a romantic.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    And I fail to understand how this would have saved the guys life. Whatever projectile hit this pistol went straight through it. Unless the round hit a ballistic vest after hitting the pistol, this would still cause some serious bleeding.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    And I fail to understand how this would have saved the guys life. Whatever projectile hit this pistol went straight through it. Unless the round hit a ballistic vest after hitting the pistol, this would still cause some serious bleeding.

If the story has any validity, the 1911 would have been in a shoulder holster over the airman's left chest. The angle of the round hitting it from right to left is plausible with the bullet passing across his chest missing it by less than an inch. Probably painful, but not even Purple Heart eligible (unless he was John Kerry).

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Neat story if it was provable.

Reminds me of the time I went into a local shop before I really started collecting and was looking a a ratty Mauser C96 Broomhandle in the display case.

The guy said it was in bad condition because it "was used in a chlorine gas attack in WW1" which caused deep pitting, corrosion and finish loss, and he only wanted the "bargain" price of something around $750-800. I didn't know much at the time, but I knew enough to see through that BS. Especially since it had an import marking on the frame. It was one of the worn out ones imported from China.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    looking at the pictures it is a very odd bullet impact into the firearm, it appears that it would have been coming perpendicular to the bore, nearly parallel to the grip, but when you look at picture 8, 9, and 10 its hard to put them together and see how it was impacted

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama

Aerial gunners wore pretty heavy flak vests on some raids.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    I bet it was flak that hit it. It is only worth something to the family unless the owner won the MOH during the mission it was hit. I'd pay $100 for it tops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom