• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    Last weekend I had a tree stand incident and wanted to remind everyone to inspect your stands before you use them.

My Summit Viper is approximately 12 years old. On Saturday morning when I stood up to climb down I heard a pop and the platform shifted. The weld at the rear (tree side) for one of the arms broke, but it was still connected at the front and clearly bending under the weight. When my feet were about four or five feet off the ground the arm gave out and snapped completely off. Fortunately, I was close enough to lower myself and drop the last couple of feet. I have often debated whether my next climber would be an open or closed front. This experience permanently sold me on having a closed front. In this instance, I probably would have been okay either way, but I was able to sit on the front bar while I collected myself.

Whether the weld was already cracked when I went up I will never know, but should have. It taught me a lesson and fortunately I was not hurt. I wanted to pass it along to others as a reminder to inspect your stands.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I know guys that only use their climbers and others that will not touch them.

I use my climber so frequently it has never really concerned me. Even with mine breaking I will continue to use my new one in the same fashion...I will just be a little more diligent in checking it out.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I know guys that only use their climbers and others that will not touch them.

I use my climber so frequently it has never really concerned me. Even with mine breaking I will continue to use my new one in the same fashion...I will just be a little more diligent in checking it out.

You've had a good streak of good luck. Make sure you're cell phone is charged and you have a good signal and be sure someone else knows where you might land.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I do all those things. It is extremely rare that I hunt alone. Also, our properties are small enough someone is always close by...within a hundred yards or so.

Good reminder OP.Alot of people check everything except the stand that was fine last year.I have a Warren/Sweat Osage that is probably 20 yrs. old that is da** near bullet proof (very few welds) and I've scrapped a couple newer ones that had fatigued welds (repairable,just my excuse for a new one).

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I prefer to use permanent or semi-permanent ladder stands or others of that type if I am in a tree. Either way, they are solidly in place before I climb them. They are strapped/chained to the tree and braced on the ground. much safer than a climber.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    12 years is a good run.. but majority of climbers need to be replaced between 5-10 years.. good thing it broke close to the ground.

The safety harness has 5years max life. Per new tma.

http://www.tmastands.com/

Yeah, I buy a new safety harness every 3 or 4 years. Don't think I have held onto one more than 5 years. Luckily have never had to replace one due to a fall.

dforeman

Aug 9, 2013
    Yup! A good excuse/close call to uphold the idea of using a safety belt/harness.

I would recommend sending a letter/e-mail to Summit detailing the failure (with maybe a photo). Seeing as how the stand was 12 years old and most likely out of warranty, I doubt they would stand behind their product. You will never know unless you try. But if anything, you will give them a heads up as to a possible failure point for future references.

mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    Use my climbers all the time, no issues to date (knock on wood) but I do replace cables and inspect them after every use. Good friend of mine did have. Ladder stand break and is ow confined to a wheel chair.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    Yup! A good excuse/close call to uphold the idea of using a safety belt/harness.

I would recommend sending a letter/e-mail to Summit detailing the failure (with maybe a photo). Seeing as how the stand was 12 years old and most likely out of warranty, I doubt they would stand behind their product. You will never know unless you try. But if anything, you will give them a heads up as to a possible failure point for future references.

Definitely out of warranty. Current standards 5 years. Stands prior to 2002 (mine for example), were only one year.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I've had the same climber (API) for 14 years. inspect it at the end of every season. feel safer in it than any chain up and even some ladder stands. people tent to leave ladder stands in for years and stuff starts to rust. I can even sleep comfortably in mine.

always have my safety harness attached to the tree. never put it in a dryer or leave it in the sun. heat and UV damage is what ruins them the most. some will wear in time from friction against the tree bark. many manufacturer time limits are used to CYA and increase sales.

most of the accidents involving injury or death are because they don't have a safety harness on. wear it!

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I hate climbers worse then hang ons. I bought a summit viper and used it exectly one time before I sold it on craigslist. Ladder stand for me or some hang ons as long as I set them up and have lifelines.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I've had the same climber (API) for 14 years. inspect it at the end of every season. feel safer in it than any chain up and even some ladder stands. people tent to leave ladder stands in for years and stuff starts to rust. I can even sleep comfortably in mine.

always have my safety harness attached to the tree. never put it in a dryer or leave it in the sun. heat and UV damage is what ruins them the most. some will wear in time from friction against the tree bark. many manufacturer time limits are used to CYA and increase sales.

most of the accidents involving injury or death are because they don't have a safety harness on. wear it!

I have 4 ladder stands at the farm and they have been there for 10 minimum to 15 years and they are solid as a rock. I do replace my ratchet straps about every 2 years, but, the stands never leave the farm and never come in out of the weather. The only modification I do to them is install the foot platform backwards, so, that it is sticking out as "trip hazard" the way the factory instruction show, that's just stupid, and I upgrade the bolts with stainless steel and add washers where the factory doesn't but should. I have my ladder stands so secured that they might actually be holding the Oak trees up. I will dance in my ladder stands, but, I won't even consider leaving the ground in a climber.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I have 4 ladder stands at the farm and they have been there for 10 minimum to 15 years and they are solid as a rock. I do replace my ratchet straps about every 2 years, but, the stands never leave the farm and never come in out of the weather. The only modification I do to them is install the foot platform backwards, so, that it is sticking out as "trip hazard" the way the factory instruction show, that's just stupid, and I upgrade the bolts with stainless steel and add washers where the factory doesn't but should. I have my ladder stands so secured that they might actually be holding the Oak trees up. I will dance in my ladder stands, but, I won't even consider leaving the ground in a climber.

you are smart but far from the norm. I have no problem getting in one if what you do was done - swap for better hardware and strap maintenance. it's all in what one is comfortable with. now there are a couple types of tree that cause me concern with a climber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom