• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2012
    Sunny Southwest Florida
    I just inherited my Father-in Law's M1 carbine. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been fired in many years, but I intend to shoot it. I haven't taken possession of it yet, but I need suggestions for who to take it to for a safety check. I live near the Bay Bridge, but I'm willing to drive.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Congrats. M1 Carbines are wonderful firearms. I can't help you with who to take it to, but if it was me I'd follow one of the "plenty" of on-line guides, take it down as far as I needed to and clean the be-jesus out of it. Been there - done that. That way you will become familiar with how it works and all its dainty parts.

Here's just one link to a primer. There are many: http://candrsenal.com/disassembly-m1-carbine/

After that, find a local gunsmith to check out the headspace and action if you still feel it needs that attention.

Oh...we DO need to see pics...SOON! :innocent0

Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2012
    Sunny Southwest Florida
    Thanks for the quick replies. I intended to do what j8064 suggested. I've already started reading. Thanks for the new info. Just wondered if anyone was a "carbine guru". I guess they were pretty common at one time, but ammo's getting pretty expensive now (what hasn't?). I only have one picture, but someone tied a piece of yellow poly rope in place of the sling, so I'm embarrassed to post it. Pretty funny that my wife's foot ended up in the pic when she took it.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Thanks for the quick replies. I intended to do what j8064 suggested. I've already started reading. Thanks for the new info. Just wondered if anyone was a "carbine guru". I guess they were pretty common at one time, but ammo's getting pretty expensive now (what hasn't?). I only have one picture, but someone tied a piece of yellow poly rope in place of the sling, so I'm embarrassed to post it. Pretty funny that my wife's foot ended up in the pic when she took it.

We've all seen rope slings...but we've never seen your wife's feet. Post up the pic you have anyway. It's a foot-friendly community. Most folk's eyes here would focus on the rope first anyway...ya. right! :lol2:

Reloading 30 carbine rounds is much more economical than factory ammo. My M1 food is hand loads. Others will chime in with much insight on their M! carbine knowledge.

You're a new member here. Don't be shy. Chime in, share and ask questions. You're among many knowledgable folks.

Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2012
    Sunny Southwest Florida
    Never did a pic before. I'll try. M1.jpg

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Oh my Lord, what is that yellow thing in the pic. LOL. Just kidding, I DID read the post, and just kiddin with ya.

Nice lookin carbine, congrats.

TNT

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Looks like a type two band: that's pretty cool. I can't make out the safety: is it a push button or a little back-and-forth lever?

That sling is really cool: it's probably a special double-secret Underwater Demolition Team accessory. Whatever you do, don't change it.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Threeband said:
    Looks like a type two band: that's pretty cool. I can't make out the safety: is it a push button or a little back-and-forth lever?

That sling is really cool: it's probably a special double-secret Underwater Demolition Team accessory. Whatever you do, don't change it.

I'm not sure there's a front band at all, looks like bare wood at the nose to me. The sling is attached to the sight ears on the front, a type 2 band would have a swivel.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Looking at the picture, I think it may be the push-button type safety.

The sling might have to go in one of those secret SOCOM type museums that are closed to the public. Probably best to downplay it: tell people it's just a piece of old rope.

I'm not sure there's a front band at all, looks like bare wood at the nose to me...

You may be right about that: if so, it's a very rare variant.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    It's a Saginaw. Not sure but it might have followed him home from the South Pacific.

Looking at the picture, I think it may be the push-button type safety.

The sling might have to go in one of those secret SOCOM type museums that are closed to the public. Probably best to downplay it: tell people it's just a piece of old rope.

You may be right about that: if so, it's a very rare variant.

By the looks of the sling (rope), it probably weterskiied back from the Pacific behind the ship. Jus' sayin'.

Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2012
    Sunny Southwest Florida

I'm not sure there's a front band at all, looks like bare wood at the nose to me. The sling is attached to the sight ears on the front, a type 2 band would have a swivel.

I'm still new at this, but I think you both may be wrong. I believe it's a type 1. It's narrow with a vertical screw. Unfortunately the swivel is missing, hence the rope tied to the sight. Just got the gun today. It's pretty rough. Looks like the old marine didn't take care of it all that well. But what the heck, he died on his 95th birthday, and he was my hero.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Doesn't look that rough to me most of the m1s out there have a fair amount of honest wear.

Stock looks odd though, but that might just be the angle.

Doesn't have a bayo but has the upgraded site. Interesting combo.

With a few tweaks it should clean up just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom