• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pk64f100

Cold Dead hands
    Aug 24, 2013
    Carroll Co Md
    I am looking for a good inexpensive air gun to practice shooting in my back yard and basement. Can anyone recommend a make & model? With the price of ammo and time to get to the range it would be nice to practice more since I travel for work it is hard to get to the range anymore. Thank you

7A38

Sep 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    I am looking for a good inexpensive air gun to practice shooting in my back yard and basement. Can anyone recommend a make & model? With the price of ammo and time to get to the range it would be nice to practice more since I travel for work it is hard to get to the range anymore. Thank you

Pistol or rifle?

7A38

pk64f100

Cold Dead hands
    Aug 24, 2013
    Carroll Co Md
    Pump action pellet type rifle

I had yrs ago a air rifle I could break open one or two times if I remember and it was pretty nice shooting pellet gun. I would prefer a rifle that did not need CO2 cartridges but would think about it. Thanks

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Practice with a replica of your real firearm. PyramidAir and AirSplat both have replicas of most mainstream handguns, AR-style firearms, and yes, even long guns. Many have the same weight and feel of the real deal.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I just got a Stoeger X3 for my son. I wish I would have spent a little more and bought a more powerful model, so check out the X20 or X50. Inexpensive is relative, so I don't know what you are looking to spend. The X3 is very quiet and accurate. Single shot, pellet only.
    http://usa.stoegerairguns.com

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I would get one of the Nitro Piston rifles, not a springer.

If you are shooting in the basement, you don't need a lot of FPS, the less the better, actually.

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    I didnt think about it but I have heard that about the cmp. Maybe i'll order one now so I'll have it by the time its warm enough to shoot.

Won't take nearly that long for a CMP Model 853. Get the surplus guns that were used at Camp Perry and then refurbished to like-new performance (NOT appearance).

For $115 each these cannot be beat. Our Club uses these for our youth group.

Bravo

Bravo
    Feb 18, 2013
    Howard County
    Ok, if you want a pump action pellet rifle that's quiet ,accurate but not too powerful, the Daisy 953 is an accurate ,cheap target rifle around $100.( single pump) If you want more power in a pump pellet rifle, Crosman 2100, (around $75) or Daisy 880. ( around $45)(Multi pumps that are cheap and easy to scope, and accurate. ) Benjamin 397 even more powerful (and louder) but not practical to scope. I don't fancy target air rifles because of their low power output, pffffft. Unless you are only shooting at 10 yard paper targets, joy.

If you are new to pellet guns, be fore warned that break barrel rifles ( while not requiring any pumping) are FAR more difficult to shoot accurately. You cannot shoot them accurately holding them tightly like a real rifle. Shooting off hand with a break barrel is even more difficult.I have owned all of these rifles and am partial to he Daisy 880 in spite of it's lightweight , hollow plastic stock feel, due to ease of loading, low cost,variable power and accuracy. That said, the Crosman 2100 is more sturdily built, but more annoying to load and pump. Pumping the Daisy 880 is a dream.

Go to Pyramyd Air if you want to read customer reviews.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If you are new to pellet guns, be fore warned that break barrel rifles ( while not requiring any pumping) are FAR more difficult to shoot accurately. You cannot shoot them accurately holding them tightly like a real rifle. Shooting off hand with a break barrel is even more difficult.I have owned all of these rifles and am partial to he Daisy 880 in spite of it's lightweight , hollow plastic stock feel, due to ease of loading, low cost,variable power and accuracy. That said, the Crosman 2100 is more sturdily built, but more annoying to load and pump. Pumping the Daisy 880 is a dream.

Only springers are difficult to shoot ... that's the beauty of the Nitro Piston guns ... they aren't springers

880 isn't anything to speak of for accuracy beyond 10 yards either. The one I returned to Daisy couldn't even hit paper from 10, its replacement is fine at 10, but at that close distance I feel like I am right on top of the targets.

Even though its quite difficult and about at the ballistic limit of .177 wadcutters, I regularly shoot them in a springer at 44 yards. It teaches discipline and patience in addition to muscle memory & practice using sights.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Won't take nearly that long for a CMP Model 853. Get the surplus guns that were used at Camp Perry and then refurbished to like-new performance (NOT appearance).

For $115 each these cannot be beat. Our Club uses these for our youth group.

I might have to get one of those ... if I can outshoot my Phantom with it ... the Phantom will get the boot.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    This is the pistol I would suggest;
    http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_P17/614
    Plenty accurate. The clones I had in the past of real pistols were not accurate at all and most take co2 which I don't care for either. This is a steal at $40 or so!

Then either a Bronco (bit small/weak for most) from them for your rifle or a Nitro Venom (your choice of wood or plastic stock) in either .177 or .22.

You'll have a nice pair for under $200. Oh, and be sure to get 4 tins of pellets from Pyramid since the 4th one is free. Also, if you sign up for their emails they run sales often. I just got a Bronco for 13% off.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I've got a spare FWB602 that I need to sell;) It sits lonely in the back of the safe since I got the 603.

But in all seriousness, you don't need a high power gun to practice (unless you're WANTING to kill stuff.) A target rifle/pistol is better for training. The CMP one is a good deal.

And nitro pistons are very much springers. Just using an air spring instead of a coil spring. Other than there there is no difference between them. Both have the same heavy piston movement making the jump forward the same. You have to have a heavy piston to get the chamber pressure dwell timing correct (the air you are compressing forms another spring and you are trying to time peak pressure w/ pellet movement and delay the bounceback of the piston.) Cheap springers rattle, but a good quality springer has a very smooth shot cycle - same as a NP. But it still recoils FORWARD (same as a NP.) Both are hold sensitive compared to other technologies (CO2, SSP, MSP, PCP)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom