• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Should Officers bow and curtsy to you as they back away?

A service provider is not your servant.
    A Doctor provides medical services... Do you also believe they are your servant?
    A Public School Teacher provides a service... Are they your servants?

Never said they should "bow and curtsy". I simply said they need to do their jobs - and I insist they do it in a respectable manner.

Cops are public servants. Doctors (most) are not paid by the taxpayers, nor are public school teachers. Consequently, they are not public servants.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Never said they should "bow and curtsy". I simply said they need to do their jobs - and I insist they do it in a respectable manner.

Cops are public servants. Doctors (most) are not paid by the taxpayers, nor are public school teachers. Consequently, they are not public servants.

A provider of a public service is NOT your servant. Want respect? Show some.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    A provider of a public service is NOT your servant. Want respect? Show some.

RD, all due respect, I don't think he means they are servants in the strict sense.

pub·lic serv·ant
    noun
    a government official.

To serve and protect, right? SERVant ;)

at least that's the way I took it :shrug:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    RD, all due respect, I don't think he means they are servants in the strict sense.

pub·lic serv·ant
    noun
    a government official.

To serve and protect, right? SERVant ;)

at least that's the way I took it :shrug:

1) SHE
    2) I heard the same tripe for 24 years. As if the Police were somehow their personal lackeys. She said, "...some cops forget that they are public servants." I don't believe I missed anything. "Remember your place!"
    3) Police provide a service... They are not Butlers and Maids... Completely different social meaning.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    And, I've seen guy's most definitely GIVING respect and not receiving any back...

I don't know what your experience has been... My experience supervising, working with for and around Police for 24 years was a bit different. I saw many of them get hurt trying to show the citizen respect. They still tried to show respect to the next person in line. Go ride with one for a week or two. You may just see it differently when the ride-along is over.

I had a friend when I was growing up who hated anything having to do with Police... He rode along for a little while and then asked me how in the world I put up with the things he saw. Police are not machines and they are not perfect. But, when you've seen the public through their eyes for a while, you tend to get a bit more patient with them.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    1) SHE
    2) I heard the same tripe for 24 years. As if the Police were somehow their personal lackeys. She said, "...some cops forget that they are public servants." I don't believe I missed anything.
    3) Police provide a service... They are not Butlers and Maids... Completely different social meaning.

The difference in social meaning is dependent on who you are interacting with.

When we walk into a MSP barracks to do a simple transfer, we don't want to be treated like lepers or undesirables. We respect you for doing your job, say please and thank you to you, we respectfully ask for the correct forms, we follow all of your requests, and when we are done we thank you for your assistance in helping us with the transfer. You are doing a service for us, therefore we have a reasonable expectation of customer service in that respect.

When you are out on patrol or walking the beat, then yea, some people will treat you like a maid, because they are too stupid to realize that they are doing a public service in the name of SAFETY.

There are differences in everything if you take the time to look at it on both sides. While I understand your personal experiences from when you were a cop have severely influenced your opinions, not everybody is like those people that treated you like that. Try to have some faith in your friends on here. ;)

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The difference in social meaning is dependent on who you are interacting with.

When we walk into a MSP barracks to do a simple transfer, we don't want to be treated like lepers or undesirables. We respect you for doing your job, say please and thank you to you, we respectfully ask for the correct forms, we follow all of your requests, and when we are done we thank you for your assistance in helping us with the transfer. You are doing a service for us, therefore we have a reasonable expectation of customer service in that respect.

When you are out on patrol or walking the beat, then yea, some people will treat you like a maid, because they are too stupid to realize that they are doing a public service in the name of SAFETY.

There are differences in everything if you take the time to look at it on both sides. While I understand your personal experiences from when you were a cop have severely influenced your opinions, not everybody is like those people that treated you like that. Try to have some faith in your friends on here. ;)

Trust me DA... I DO have confidence in many who grace this forum. On the other hand, there are a few who take great pleasure in nipping at my heels. I am fully aware of who my "friends" are. And I respect them greatly for their friendship. Funny thing... were they hurting or in need, I would no doubt do what I could to help them despite the vitriolic attitudes. Would they be so fast to do the same? Doubt it.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Trust me DA... I DO have confidence in many who grace this forum. On the other hand, there are a few who take great pleasure in nipping at my heels. I am fully aware of who my "friends" are. And I respect them greatly for their friendship. Funny thing... were they hurting or in need, I would no doubt do what I could to help them despite the vitriolic attitudes. Would they be so fast to do the same? Doubt it.

You will never know the answer to that questions, until the time arises that you need their help. Always remember when the time comes, that being late is better than never showing up to help.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Don't go doubting just yet RD, I'm no LR here.....

I was speaking 100% about the MSP transfers at certain barracks, and,.... maybe some licencing division Troopers.

Roadside? Had one smartass in probably 50+ stops over almost 25 years of driving. I have no issue with 99% of LEO I come in contact with, especially the Sheriff's Dept up here.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Yep, a reason why I won't buy any firearms from one of our IPs in particular. Heard the guy at the counter say that to four or five people in a row on the phone while I was there last. "Come in to the store if you want to know the price, we don't quote over the phone".

I think I just figured out who that is :innocent0

Just reinforced yet another reason why I haven't considered buying anything there...

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    So....is this considered incompetency? :rolleyes:

Abbreviated version.

-Guy buys a handgun in late September 2015
    -Paperwork comes back, "Not Disapproved", and physical transfer of firearm takes place.
    -Guy doesn't really like it, and weighs options to replace it.
    -Decides to sell it privately.
    -Meets cash buyer at MSP barracks
    -Cannot complete the 77R transfer paperwork due to the paperwork not being processed yet, from the transfer (to previous buyer, now the seller) that took place over 3 months ago. :mad54:

In other words, sale/transfer didn't happen, because it legally couldn't happen, as seller is not (over 100 days/15+ weeks later) the registered owner yet...

;) Road Dawg Disclaimer: Trooper was VERY friendly, courteous, and definitely experienced in the firearm transfer process. Said, to take the completed paperwork home, and that whomever he spoke to at Licensing Division would "fast track" the original transfer, so this transfer could happen. Said "they" would call seller within a week. Will update the status of that when there's info to share.

So.... :shrug:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

Abbreviated version.

-Paperwork comes back, "Not Disapproved", and physical transfer of firearm takes place.
    -Cannot complete the 77R transfer paperwork due to the paperwork not being processed yet, from the transfer (to previous buyer, now the seller) that took place over 3 months ago. :mad54:

In other words, sale/transfer didn't happen, because it legally couldn't happen, as seller is not (over 100 days/15+ weeks later) the registered owner yet...

;) Road Dawg Disclaimer: Trooper was VERY friendly, courteous, and definitely experienced in the firearm transfer process. Said, to take the completed paperwork home, and that whomever he spoke to at Licensing Division would "fast track" the original transfer, so this transfer could happen. Said "they" would call seller within a week. Will update the status of that when there's info to share.

That's :bs:

I sold a pistol privately through the same barracks back in 2014, that I only had for about a month...

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

Abbreviated version.

This is what you get when you let rights get tangled up with government bureaucracy and red tape.
    Government F's up everything it touches.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Abbreviated version.

If the paperwork from the previous sale was not processed... Where did the "Not Dissaproved" letter come from?

The paperwork was processed... The data entry has not been made in the system yet due to a backlog in the system. Probably due to the 2013 Owe Mao Li debacle. Call the LD office and find out how to proceed.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Backlog Schmacklog, if someone isn't doing their job it's incompetence. This matters not if it is in regards to "data entry" or other tasks.

This reminds me of everything being Bush's fault for efs sake. At some point we'll need to admit we have a Republican Governor and the system is still way messed up, bottom to top.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Backlog Schmacklog, if someone isn't doing their job it's incompetence. This matters not if it is in regards to "data entry" or other tasks.

This reminds me of everything being Bush's fault for efs sake. At some point we'll need to admit we have a Republican Governor and the system is still way messed up, bottom to top.

You are correct... Everything wrong with this state is Hogans fault... He should have solved all of the problems in the first month before anyone knew about his cancer. :sarcasm:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    He should have resigned when he was diagnosed if he thought he was going to be useless because of it.

Just not something there should he an excuse for. Just like there shouldn't be in the private sector. If an FFL screwed up like this the MSP would jump their shit over it.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    He should have resigned when he was diagnosed if he thought he was going to be useless because of it.

Just not something there should he an excuse for. Just like there shouldn't be in the private sector. If an FFL screwed up like this the MSP would jump their shit over it.

Well he didn't resign and he has made a lot of positive changes. But holding his feet to the fire for everything not yet fixed in his first year as Governor is ridiculous. Give the man a break. He deserves it for what he HAS done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom