• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Eh, the Stars are not that great of a deal IMHO. I'm going to be pissed if they look like the one in the picture. The condition says "excellent" and that's what I'm expecting for the price.

Yeah. I'm concerned about that, too. Under nobody's criteria is that photo of an "Excellent" Star B, but CAI is usually good about their condition descriptions. Maybe that's the only photo they had on hand?

Curious why you say that? I know nothing about them other that I've read/heard that they are great pistols. I don't "need" to spend $300, so if there's nothing super special about these, maybe I'll reconsider.

There are very few firearms that have something super special about them, and the ones that do are almost never in this price range. Still, these are very nice guns to have in a collection, and I think the price--if they are in excellent condition--is quite good. Most of the ones sold at that price have been dogged out.

Are you really comparing a gen 2 Glock 22 to a well-built old, metal C$R pistol?

No kidding! I personally think that Glocks have gotten an unmerited reputation as being wonderful guns ... mostly from LEOs who like them because they are light enough not to pull their belt down over the course of the day. They're reliable guns, but there are better ones, both new and C&R eligible.

Has anybody got shipping notice on these CIA Star Bs?

Nope, and I think I may have ordered mine a little before they were "announced" here. I did a follow-up call to my sales person there, and was told to be prepared for up to 12 business days' wait for shipping. I'm hoping that was just being cautious.

As I see it, CAI is a volume wholesaler who is kind of doing us a favor* to let us buy one and two at a time. That doesn't excuse bad service, but processing our C&R accounts just may not be where their main money comes in. I'd suggest that you be patient, very pleasant, and call them up to say that you're very interested in starting to buy from them, but your paperwork seems to be getting lost in the shuffle ... and maybe ask if someone would help you walk it through.

* The companies that buy from CAI by the truckload, then re-sell to folks like us, would really rather that CAI didn't sell directly to us.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nope, and I think I may have ordered mine a little before they were "announced" here. I did a follow-up call to my sales person there, and was told to be prepared for up to 12 business days' wait for shipping. I'm hoping that was just being cautious.

As I see it, CAI is a volume wholesaler who is kind of doing us a favor* to let us buy one and two at a time. That doesn't excuse bad service, but processing our C&R accounts just may not be where their main money comes in. I'd suggest that you be patient, very pleasant, and call them up to say that you're very interested in starting to buy from them, but your paperwork seems to be getting lost in the shuffle ... and maybe ask if someone would help you walk it through.

* The companies that buy from CAI by the truckload, then re-sell to folks like us, would really rather that CAI didn't sell directly to us.

It's pretty clear that "onesy, twosy" sales are NOT what makes them the big bucks. If you wade through the initial BS, it's worth it. Just don't think you're dealing with Cabela's or Midway. You don't just drop it in the cart and they ship the next day. Establish a relationship with a real person there and be willing to call them. I've given the rep I deal with an idea of what I'm looking for and he's called me when some comes up. Back when they had some decent CZ82s (pre-Oct) everybody that ordered online got canceled. I ordered through my rep and the CZ is sitting in my safe.

Of course, the more of you that get frustrated with the possess and give up, the better selection the rest of us have....:D

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Anyway for us C&R folks to buy non-C&R guns from Century and have them sent to an FFL? Those .357 Mags for $339 look very tempting.

Thanks!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    If you had the money to spend and you had the choice between the Star Model B and a Polish TTC Tokarev, which would it be?

Probably the Pol-Tok, if I could only get one. Overall, it's more practical and reliable ... but I like the Star B a lot. On the other hand, 9mm ammo is cheaper and easier to get. I guess it depends on what it would be used for. The Tok would be more dependable for protection, but the Star makes a nice range handgun.

I've already got some of each, as well as some of their close cousins.

Last edited:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Did you get a $1 (I got two of them) account check temporary charge a day, or so, after you ordered? If not, you might want to call and check on the order.

Thanks for the tip. I did not get any $1 charge so I called them. My order was "on hold" for "no phone number" which is strange since my phone number was on the order confirmation. The woman I spoke to was very nice and said she took the order off hold. She said it would be a week to ship, she gave me her extension to call back in a week for a status update.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    If you had the money to spend and you had the choice between the Star Model B and a Polish TTC Tokarev, which would it be?

I think I would opt for the star B, since those are rarer. Toks are getting close to the $300 mark after shipping and that seems like a lot IMHO. Of course, the Star B is already over that right out of the gate. I guess you can't really go wrong. The Star will be cheaper to shoot. Plus, they were in the classic movie "Pulp Fiction".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom