• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    FWIW, I’m a fan of 00 Buck for home defense because it’s very effective at short range, but doesn’t have the penetration issues like 5.56. Just my opinion though.

I'm a fan of 1B Buck for home defense , because it's very effective at all Buckshot distances, but doesn't have the penetration issues of 00 Buck .

If you really , truly me Home Defense in the context of across the room ranges , and across the yard , or down the long driveway is off the table , 4 Buck is viable .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    (As written/expressed, your post comes across as someone nefariously looking for guns.)

Well there is that .... Pending further posts , here's some PSA type stuff :

The focus here is on Mom .

Previous firearms experience ?
    Her attitude & mindset regarding Self Defense ?
    Physical abilities and/ or physical limitations ?

Before even getting to brass tacks about various firearms , the baseline starting foundation is to get her to :

NRA Refuse to Be a Victim
    NRA Personal Protection in the Home

After those building blocks , then conversations with her . Is a Firearm an appropriate and viable choice for her ? A handgun? Shotgun ? Rifle ? Subcategory- PCC ? AR - ish ? .22lr ? Something else ?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    This may be weird for a gun forum, but you can immediately buy one or more of these and have them shipped to her house. Mount them on the walls in places like the kitchen, her bedroom, and the living room. If you can use a fire extinguisher, you can use these. There will be backspray that will effect the person spraying, but they're also reasonably effective at dissuading an attacker and can be immediately available without the concerns of locking them up or kids getting in to them. If a kid does get in to them, there won't be permanent injuries and they will learn to never mess with them again.

Instead of buying a gun and giving it to her, buy range time together so you both can try out a bunch of guns. If she's not going to regularly train, a revolver isn't a bad idea. If there's an ammo-related malfunction, just instinctively pressing the trigger again will rotate to a fresh cylinder without any tap/rack needed. You can guide her through the process of getting a hql and filling out the paperwork to get her the revolver.

Grabbing a doorbell camera(I personally like eufy and setting up the software on her phone for her would be another good idea so she's not dependent on actually opening a door to see who's there.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I mean really it depends on the hand not the arm.

Is she left handed or right handed, then take the arm that’s attached.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Does MD laws prohibit OP from loaning his mom a gun? Or even leaving a gun at his moms house?

As terrible as MD is, it can’t be an absolute SHole where an older lady uses her sons gun to save her life in her home and get criminally charged

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Does MD laws prohibit OP from loaning his mom a gun? Or even leaving a gun at his moms house?

As terrible as MD is, it can’t be an absolute SHole where an older lady uses her sons gun to save her life in her home and get criminally charged

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

You are answering as if the OP was legit .

My favorite calibers are 12ga and 20ga 7.62x39......45acp....380acp.....308 win..30-06 spring....9mm Luger and 223 rem im looking for all guns of these. Calibers for sale please reply if you are selling......my mother is living alone now and I would like to make a new firearm her home warming present
    I have to ask, especially since you posted ONE thing ever on 3/3/2024 and it was in the midst of the MGA season... I'm assuming you're a staffer for someone in the MGA. Is it OK if I ask who?
    Reminder kids--- This is a perfect example of an Analpolis (sic) troll trying to get us to look bad for the record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom