• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mar 3, 2024
    Maryland
    My favorite calibers are 12ga and 20ga 7.62x39......45acp....380acp.....308 win..30-06 spring....9mm Luger and 223 rem im looking for all guns of these. Calibers for sale please reply if you are selling......my mother is living alone now and I would like to make a new firearm her home warming present

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My favorite calibers are 12ga and 20ga 7.62x39......45acp....380acp.....308 win..30-06 spring....9mm Luger and 223 rem im looking for all guns of these. Calibers for sale please reply if you are selling......my mother is living alone now and I would like to make a new firearm her home warming present
    Does your mom have any knowledge of how to use a gun and the mental preparation to take a human life?

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

***Might be a good idea if your mom isn't very familiar with firearms to take a Basic Pistol type/HQL class vs just buying her or having her buy a firearm with little to no training if she is exempt from the HQL requirement.

I guess having a firearm is better than not if you need one, but knowing how to use it properly, and the basics of safety can go a long way towards determining what type of firearm would be optimal for her needs, especially if you don't feel qualified to teach her yourself, etc...

Welcome!

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    My mom has shot my Springfield XD 45 (it’s light and has a fairly stout recoil). She did ok with it.

But I have no idea about your mom. You should take her to a range so she can test out a few.

FWIW, I’m a fan of 00 Buck for home defense because it’s very effective at short range, but doesn’t have the penetration issues like 5.56. Just my opinion though.

Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    Have your Mom buy a Ruger SP101 five shot revolver or an older, AKA not crappy, Taurus M85 five shot revolver. So easy to use a caveman or cavemom could do it.

Leave the other semi auto this and that to folks who really want to take the time to learn their quirks.

Nothing spells confidence quite like a reliable and rock-solid small frame revolver.

The S&W Chiefs Special in .38 caliber was the mac daddy for a reason.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    :lol: Whistling "the farmer in the dell", by chance?
    The-Wire-Omar-Little-feature.jpg

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Remember you can’t buy for her, she needs to go into the shop and purchase. You’ll find everything you are looking for including advice in any local gun shop.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD

Your favorite calibers are irrelevant. You should take your mom to a range that rents guns and let her determine what her preferred caliber/gun is.

As others have stated, if she is new to guns, she should take a basic pistol course, first.

Welcome to MDS. An introduction would be nice.

(As written/expressed, your post comes across as someone nefariously looking for guns.)

Last edited:
    ......my mother is living alone now and I would like to make a new firearm her home warming present

Remember you can’t buy for her, she needs to go into the shop and purchase. You’ll find everything you are looking for including advice in any local gun shop.
    To clarify this...
    It doesn't matter who pays for the firearm. What matters is that the person doing the paperwork/background check is who is taking the firearm home. It is 100% legal for the OP to buy his mom a gun/pay for his mom's gun, provided she is the one who fills out the paperwork. (Yes, there are some rare gift exceptions on the federal paperwork, but the above statement is true almost all of the time)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom