• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Revvin' Evan

Oct 17, 2010
    Baltimore County
    So I have an SBR'd YHM 9mm AR which is my first and only AR. Well my brother built me an 11.5" colt commando-ish upper in 5.56 for christmas. So we put the upper on the lower, shot it all day Saturday and it ran great except for the bolt will not hold open at all. Here are some pics. Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_20121221_204154_407_zps9ef3dc73.jpg

IMG_20121224_203126_806_zpsab6c0da3.jpg

IMG_20121224_202849_759_zps026d8d71.jpg

Lapua Dan

Nov 4, 2010
    Does the bolt hold open still move freely and is it still under spring tension?
    My 9mm upper bent mine and had to be replaced.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I have the same YHM 9mm SBR. I haven't run a 5.56 upper on it yet but I don't see why it wouldn't lock back. I would think its a mag issue or maybe a buffer issue. Did you switch out the 9mm buffer for one suited for 5.56? The one that came in the SBR is for 9mm only and is longer than a normal buffer. This might he why yours isn't locking back.

Revvin' Evan

Oct 17, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I used metal mags and pmags and it will not hold open with either. It won't even hold open when you push the bolt catch button down to attempt to lock it open. Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    It's the buffer. The one that came in it is for 9mm only and is slightly longer than a regular buffer. Because it is slightly longer it will not let a 5.56 BCG retract far enough to engage the bolt catch. You need to switch it out for an H buffer.

Revvin' Evan

Oct 17, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I did not replace the buffer and the bolt catch does have spring tension and appears to work properly but like I said, I'm no expert. Just have this AR and a S&W M&P 15-22 for comparison.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Trust me. It's the buffer. Replace it with any standard buffer and you'll be good to go.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Thanks flipz. So I just Google "H buffer" and get one of those?

You could just use a standard carbine buffer. But many people use H buffers, or even H2 buffers, with SBR's to reduce recoil and extend lock time. Id do a search on what weight buffer people like for 11.5 barrels and go with that. Most likely an H buffer. You may want to give Mark a call and see what he suggests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom