• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    No, you would want to have an SKS which takes AK mags, that's regulated in Maryland... The SKS to have for this would be a Norinco 16 inch SKS that takes the AK magazines. More expensive and you might as well get an AK-47 for the money you will end up spending on such a project.

Before you waste your money going down this road, let me suggest that you get a better rifle to "modernize". If you are looking for a "tactical" style rifle and simply can't or don't want to get something regulated... I've got lots of suggestions. Even a Vz.58 would be a much better candidate to modernize. However if you really want to do the SKS, the Norinco 16" is the one to get.. It looks like this when done, SKS on top, SBR AR-15 on bottom.

Mark

Attachments

• DSCN1069.jpg
      DSCN1069.jpg
      86.9 KB · Views: 8,936

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Friends don't let friends buy Romanian AK's :nono:
    They are junk.
    Tapco is selling the new this year TimberSmith SKS stocks.
    They are awesome. I know because I won one in Tapco's promotional contest.
    I have not put a rifle in it yet or I would post pics.
    Tapco also sells a very reliable 20 rd detachable magazine for the SKS.

Romanian Ak's are not junk. Can you back up your statement with facts?

jtarpley59

live free or die
    Jan 6, 2010
    Churchton
    No, you would want to have an SKS which takes AK mags, that's regulated in Maryland... The SKS to have for this would be a Norinco 16 inch SKS that takes the AK magazines. More expensive and you might as well get an AK-47 for the money you will end up spending on such a project.

Before you waste your money going down this road, let me suggest that you get a better rifle to "modernize". If you are looking for a "tactical" style rifle and simply can't or don't want to get something regulated... I've got lots of suggestions. Even a Vz.58 would be a much better candidate to modernize. However if you really want to do the SKS, the Norinco 16" is the one to get.. It looks like this when done, SKS on top, SBR AR-15 on bottom.

Mark

No I can buy regulated that's not the problem I was looking for a somewhat inexpensive project to have fun making a modern version of an SKS. John

jtarpley59

live free or die
    Jan 6, 2010
    Churchton

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    No I can buy regulated that's not the problem I was looking for a somewhat inexpensive project to have fun making a modern version of an SKS. John

The SKS is not modern (it is a 1930's design) and adding a duck bill magazine that doesnt fit properly and a tapco stock will not make it 'modern' Not that the Ak is a 'new' design but in the long run you will be happier, trust me. The cost of a SKS these days and all the stuff you would want to add will put you right around the cost of a WASR and then you still have a SKS.

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    Romanian Ak's are not junk. Can you back up your statement with facts?

Yes I can.
    There are hundreds of posts from people on gun forums about how they got a Romanian AK with a canted front sight. Sure it can be corrected but you have to admit "that's quality" :innocent0
    They were made for single stack mags and later opened up for the double stack so they don't have that dimple in the receiver so the mags are ridiculously wobbly when inserted ...yep "quality" :thumbsup:

Ak is a 'new' design
    yea AK47 as in 1947

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO

Id say go for it with the one you linked to since i actually looked @ the $189 for the cracked stock ones SOG your referencing instead of just making a comment about AK's :rolleyes:

With the 189 cracked stock gun plus the tapco stock youd be right around what a decent yugo in orignal condition would cost. Do what you want and remember

HatersGonnaHatePanda.jpg

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Yes I can.
    There are hundreds of posts from people on gun forums about how they got a Romanian AK with a canted front sight. Sure it can be corrected but you have to admit "that's quality" :innocent0
    They were made for single stack mags and later opened up for the double stack so they don't have that dimple in the receiver so the mags are ridiculously wobbly when inserted ...yep "quality" :thumbsup:

yea AK47 as in 1947

Some have the wobble and some have the canted front sight. The wobble not so much, canted front sight more common but both are easy fixes. And there are enough out there without either problem. The OP would be be better off with a low end Ak then a tapcof**k'd SKS with duck bill mags.

The AK design is more 'modern' relative to the SKS.

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    Some have the wobble and some have the canted front sight. The wobble not so much, canted front sight more common but both are easy fixes. And there are enough out there without either problem. The OP would be be better off with a low end Ak then a tapcof**k'd SKS with duck bill mags.

The AK design is more 'modern' relative to the SKS.

You may have a point about buying all the Tapco stuff. I got my TimberSmith stock free.
    The SKS is a very reliable rifle in it's original configuration and using stripper clips which load faster than mags.
    The SKS is more accurate than most AK's and certainly more accurate than any Romanian AK at 100 yds.
    True the AK47 (1947) is also more "modern" relative to the SKS45 (1945) by 2 years :lol2::lol2:
    Not sure where you got the 1930's stuff?? Might be thinking of the M1 Garand.
    The original AK47 design is for a fully automatic rifle. The WASR Romanian AK clone is a simple semi-auto rifle so the only way it is superrior to the SKS is it's wobbly detachable magazine.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    You may have a point about buying all the Tapco stuff. I got my TimberSmith stock free.
    The SKS is a very reliable rifle in it's original configuration and using stripper clips which load faster than mags.
    The SKS is more accurate than most AK's and certainly more accurate than any Romanian AK at 100 yds.
    True the AK47 (1947) is also more "modern" relative to the SKS45 (1945) by 2 years :lol2::lol2:

Given the price of stock and mags along with the intial cost of the SKS I made a suggestion to the OP assuming he wanted some kind of 'tactical' firearm on a budget. That was really the only reason i could think someone would ask such a question. Hence I recommended a Romanian Ak variant given it will do anything a bastardized SKS will do and already have a pistol grip, proper detachable magazine and muzzle break for about the same cost.

Garand, I dont know what the hell you are trying to say here but I think it is well understood that the Ak was indeed a step forward over the SKS which is why the U.S.S.R dropped the SKS for it.

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    Given the price of stock and mags along with the intial cost of the SKS I made a suggestion to the OP assuming he wanted some kind of 'tactical' firearm on a budget. That was really the only reason i could think someone would ask such a question. Hence I recommended a Romanian Ak variant given it will do anything a bastardized SKS will do and already have a pistol grip, proper detachable magazine and muzzle break for about the same cost.

Garand, I dont know what the hell you are trying to say here but I think it is well understood that the Ak was indeed a step forward over the SKS which is why the U.S.S.R dropped the SKS for it.

You would be incorrect ;)
    The Russians produced the SKS for military service untill 1955 and the Yugoslavian military untill the 1990's :thumbsup:
    The Russians deployed the AK47 as their MBR because it is fully automatic as in machine gun and it's detachable magazine.
    The WASR was never a military rifle it's just a semi-auto rifle unlike the unissued real military Russian SKS rifles I have. The WASR knock off's are not superrior to the SKS.
    It's (the WASR) just a cheap low quality knock off of the AK47.
    I was also trying to help the OP in his question but not by redirecting him to buy another rifle. If he wants to Bubba a SKS let him have fun with it.
    In the end he will find buying all the aftermarket parts will not really improve the rifle beyond it's original design and most people who go down that road end up returning their SKS rifles to the original configuration.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    WASR's are made @cugir to the same spec as an Ak with full auto fcg. The Romanian 'G' rifle I built was mil issue (national gaurd) but always semi auto. I get your point but don't poo-poo the hardware regardless what century does. I didn't mean to derail the thread, the OP could be new to firearms and perhaps unaware he could get an inexpensive Ak. Thats all. Btw didnt you buy my Norinco SkS or was that someone else on here?

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    WASR's are made @cugir to the same spec as an Ak with full auto fcg. The Romanian 'G' rifle I built was mil issue (national gaurd) but always semi auto. I get your point but don't poo-poo the hardware regardless what century does. I didn't mean to derail the thread, the OP could be new to firearms and perhaps unaware he could get an inexpensive Ak. Thats all. Btw didnt you buy my Norinco SkS or was that someone else on here?

I did :thumbsup:
    Nice rifle BTW.
    I did have to zero the windage and elevation on the front sight because it was off a good bit. I'm guessing you never shot it because the firing pin channel was still clogged up with a good bit of cosmoline.
    I would depend on it any day over a bottom of the barrel WASR AK and I have shot both. What Century did is the point.
    There are much better choices in the AK market and IMHO the century fu**'d WASR AK is in no way superior to a SKS but it does look a lot more scary to the general public.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    funny, I did a 50 yard zero and had to adjust the elevation to get it shooting right. I guess everyone shoots that much different

Sirex