If getting Ruger PC, does it have to be a "state complient" model?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sygata

Feb 13, 2012
    I think the difference is not threaded barrel and a 10 round mag. I understand the mag capacity, but is not threaded barrel a must for MD?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I think the difference is not threaded barrel and a 10 round mag. I understand the mag capacity, but is not threaded barrel a must for MD?
    Threaded barrels are OK here. The Ruger makes a great host.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    The PPC comes in two different 'state compliant" configurations (for each of the traditional, traditional-free float, and chassis models), one configuration has a threaded barrel and the other does not and both come with 10 rd mag. Threaded barrel is good to go in MD. The only difference for the threaded SC configuration compared to the standard models is only the 10 round mag.

IIRC, you can actually buy a non-state compliant PCC, but the FFL may not transfer the mags (or may pin them if so inclined).

Last edited:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    The PPC comes in two different 'state compliant" configurations (for each of the traditional, traditional-free float, and chassis models), one configuration has a threaded barrel and the other does not. Threaded barrel is good to go in MD. The only difference for the threaded SC configuration compared to the "non-state compliant" models is only the 10 round mag otherwise.
    When purchased. The dealer my pin or keep the mag, so dont sweat it.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It would be up to the dealer you buy it from.
    MSP says the magazine can't transfer with the rifle, even out of state, but MSP loves to legislate out of their bungholes.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Up to the dealer.

I bought my Ruger PCC through Tylers. It was not a "state-compliant" version. Tylers will comply by all laws and pin the "high capacity" magazine so as to not get anyone in trouble. There is nothing else on a Ruger PCC that makes it non-compliant in MD.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Pretty sure the Federal law states that the firearm MUST be legal in BOTH states. Rifle w/ 17 round mag is not legal in MD so could not be transferred.
    IANAL
    Purchase of magazine is not legal. Possession of magazine IS legal. A rifle th at CAN ACCEPT 17 round magazines IS LEGAL.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Purchase of magazine is not legal. Possession of magazine IS legal. A rifle th at CAN ACCEPT 17 round magazines IS LEGAL.
    You're correct. CAN accept and transferred with are two separate things.
    PA/VA/etc. FFL can transfer you an AR/Rifle capable of standard capacity mags, but CAN'T transfer w/ those magazines.
    For example, I purchased an AR at Cabela's in DE. Was transferred w/ 10 round mags to make it MD compliant. Was able to separately purchase 20 & 30 round mags that were NOT part of the AR package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom