• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    http://imgur.com/a/Anuac

I have shared my Krag's on here before, but this one takes them all. I got this off GB a couple weeks ago and it just showed up. Not sure what to say about it other than I might need to quit while I am ahead in the collecting game. It pays to check GB every once in awhile, you never know what you might find. I am honestly still a little bit shocked that I managed to get it. For those of you that don't know US Krags. It is an unaltered 1892 2nd type. It has all the correct parts save for the rear sight which is an 1896. Original non Army modified and non sporterized 1892's are very rare as almost all of these were updated to 1896 standards.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Congratulations! Very hard to find original variant that looks to be in VG, unmolested condition. The dream of every advanced collector. You certainly did strike gold. Now tell me that you didn't have to pay above market value for it, that would be the cherry on top!

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    very nice! congrats on the find. I agree... even if you are not exactly pro GB, you still have to check every so often so you don't miss out on those rare finds that just don't come around very often.

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    Congratulations! Very hard to find original variant that looks to be in VG, unmolested condition. The dream of every advanced collector. You certainly did strike gold. Now tell me that you didn't have to pay above market value for it, that would be the cherry on top!

Thanks you, I paid well under, there was only one or maybe two other bidders who realized what it was I think and for whatever reason they decided not to go very high.

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    gulfwarsubvet is correct. This was a blanket free sale.

Wow, based on what Your photos show I would imagine that the sight was replaced by US Armorer a long time ago. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, it looks like its been there awhile and the patina on it matches the other metal.

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    What is this worth? Looks cool but I don't know anything about these. Congrats on the buy!

The last one I could find a price for at auction was 5500, the most recent edition of the standard catalog of military firearms lists one in good condition at 7500. To give an impression of rarity there were about 23,000 of them originally and then most of those were converted to 1896 and im sure some of the rest were cut into sporters when Krags were a couple dollars from the DCM. So for a standard issue US rifle there are not very many left.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Sounds like the Krag version of a 1903 Springfield Rod Bayonet or a Gas Trap Garand. Learned something new with this thread!

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Tell me you went out and played the lottery that day also...
    Very nice find.

Damn... With your luck we need to get you on the Bigfoot hunting teams to put that myth to rest also!

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    Sounds like the Krag version of a 1903 Springfield Rod Bayonet or a Gas Trap Garand. Learned something new with this thread!

That might be a good comparison although an unaltered first type with the brass tipped rod is even rarer still. And a gun with provenance to the rough riders will beat them both for price I imagine. I came across a real odd ball while I was searching for past auctions for these. James D Julia a few years ago sold a gun listed as a 1901 Springfield that was like a Krag and 1903 had a kid. It was a test rifle between designs, but I couldnt find much more info on it.

@Topher, I did not, but I probably should have that day.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    The last one I could find a price for at auction was 5500, the most recent edition of the standard catalog of military firearms lists one in good condition at 7500. To give an impression of rarity there were about 23,000 of them originally and then most of those were converted to 1896 and im sure some of the rest were cut into sporters when Krags were a couple dollars from the DCM. So for a standard issue US rifle there are not very many left.

Holy crap! You hit the jackpot!

Wow, Just Wow.
    Unmolested 1892's are one of the hardest Krags to find.
    I have an 1892 rear sight the OP can have, but I wouldn't recommend it. Based on the patina, I believe that was a VERY early '96 rear sight that actually came from SA that way. The JSA 1895 cartouche and thin wrist stock also lend credence to my hypothesis.
    If the OP wants, I would recommend he contact Joe Farmers (5MadFarmers) or Dick Hosmer (Dick Hosmer) for better clarification. They can be found on various forums under those names. IMO, Joe Farmers is the most knowledgeable Kragaphile alive. Let them know that "Fishnerd" sent you.

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    Wow, Just Wow.
    Unmolested 1892's are one of the hardest Krags to find.
    I have an 1892 rear sight the OP can have, but I wouldn't recommend it. Based on the patina, I believe that was a VERY early '96 rear sight that actually came from SA that way. The JSA 1895 cartouche and thin wrist stock also lend credence to my hypothesis.
    If the OP wants, I would recommend he contact Joe Farmers (5MadFarmers) or Dick Hosmer (Dick Hosmer) for better clarification. They can be found on various forums under those names. IMO, Joe Farmers is the most knowledgeable Kragaphile alive. Let them know that "Fishnerd" sent you.

Dick Hosmer made a post about it on the KCA forum and Jouster after the auction ended and I chimed into the thread on KCA. I think I agree about the rear sight, it will stay as is for now, although I appreciate the offer for a 92 sight. I didnt mange to get it for under 1,000 although at first I thought I might. The time from when I saw it until the auction ended went very slowly. I still managed to stay under 2k though.

Here are a few more of the guns features, although I am out of my depth when looking for stuff on the bolt and magazine. http://imgur.com/a/UyPqg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom