• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Rugers are good revolvers. Only downside to them is they tends to be heavier than their counterparts, not bad for the range and good if you are running hotloads. If you want something for carry you may want to go to S&W.

If you are looking for a good range revolver, I wouldnt pass up a used Dan Wesson 15. They are extremely durable guns. Only downside is their lock system requires both hands where S&W and Ruger can be done with one hand theoretically.

The trick to speedloading Dan Wessons is to transfer the gun to your left hand using your left thumb to release the cylinder transferring the speedloader to your right hand pushing the cylinder out with the fingers of your left hand dump the speedloader and thumb the cylinder shut. I used my 44 for stock to unlimited IHMSA as well as the occasional IPSC and IDPA when nobody else was shooting the revolver class. I love the versatility of being able to swap barrels to suit any situation or competition classification.

Attachments

• Dan Wesson.jpg
      Dan Wesson.jpg
      75 KB · Views: 218

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    gp 100 is going to be my first revolver purchase ( eventully) , i was handed down a ruger single six .22. i love rugers so im a lil biased but rugers are built like tanks id go with it if your interested in it.

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    Find a nice Smith & Wesson Model 27 or 28 with a 4" or longer barrel. They are heavy-framed guns that will hold up to whatever load you care to put in them. They will also only appreciate in value (at least until the Second Amendment is repealed).

I've never quite "gotten" snub nosed .357 magnums. All you get is a lot of muzzle blast coupled with all the other problems of shooting accurately with a short sight radius.

I agree with whoever said that you're likely to shoot mostly .38 special in the gun, for all the reasons given. If you reload, you can make some very accurate and mild recoiling .38 spl. loads and save the wear and tear on your hands.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I got a couple hand-fulls of wheel guns and shoot them often. This last year I used a model 66 for IDPA shooting and had a ball. I have at least 3 more k frames and a couple L frames. All that said I can tell you this......
    I friggin hate the report from a .357.
    Something about that bullet just rubs me the wrong way.
    That holds for 9mm as well. I shoot more 9 than most and I find few things more obnoxious than the report of a 115gr bullet.
    If I could have only 1 handgun be it semi, or revolver I would choose a .44 magnum revolver.
    I can load that cartridge down to a light plinking round or send a 240gr chunk of lead out at over 1500fps.
    If you reload I would suggest a .44. If you don't I would say .357 just so you have the option of shooting .38 special.

Intercooler

Jun 10, 2012
    Well Dan Wesson will be back out with some here shortly if you want to wait. All depending I may get one.

Love my Rugers and they stand behind their product warranty.

GP100 4"
    2011-11-03004625.jpg

Redhawk 7.5"
    20120322_170944.jpg

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Thanks. Much appreciated. Ill keep you in mind.

Earlier this year I was in a similar situation to you and decided I wanted a wheelgun for the collection. I wanted a .357mag/.38spl so that I could shoot light .38s for range fun, keep it loaded with .38 +P for HD, and touch off .357s when I am looking for some thunder.

I was between the s&w 686 and ruger sp101 4". I found the s&w to have a better stock trigger (especially in DA), lighter weight, and a bit pricier. The ruger felt more solidly built, heavier, trigger was still decent, and cheaper. I knew I planned to put full power .357 magnums through the revolver, so I picked the heavier ruger.

At the range I shoot anything from light target .38s up to full-power .357s (H110 under 125, 158, & 180 gr.). I'm hardly an exceptional shooter and I can keep all my shots on a 11"x8.5" paper at 25 yards even as the hi-viz fiber optic site covers most of the target. The sp101 has enough weight that I can shoot the .357s one-handed (a la bullseye style) if I want (of course, much slower recovery time than the light .38s). Again, though I consider myself still a learner, at 15 yards I can rapid fire (shot per ~1 second) in DA and keep all rounds center mass on a torso target, so the DA trigger isn't too bad either.

Tconfo, it looks like you have already found one you like, but as with plenty of others, I'm willing to bring my sp101 to Freestate if you would like to give it a try. Send me a PM if that's the case.

brackishfly

Nov 17, 2012
    So. Maryland
    For the house and range my S&W 627 'moon clip 8 shot'. Not for something to carry, but hey I live in MD anyway! Picking up a S&W 632 'J frame 6 shot' with the 3" barrel (it'll shoot .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Mag., and the new .327 Fed Mag., good reviews but not much interest from reading the boards. The 7 shot L frame S&W 686 (Talo) with a 3" barrel is sure purdy though. To be honest I have not yet purchased a plastic (polymer) pistol (have to try my daughters G19 when I go to visit).

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    OP, some relevant info as of yesterday. While I was at the Thunderstick tables at the Gettysburg show, a guy right next to me was dry firing a Ruger LCR 357. He hated it. He showed me how the trigger acted like a two-stage, where it reached a point far in the pull where it required significantly more force to get past. He thought he wanted one, until he tried the trigger. He said he owns S&W J-frames for CCW with way better factory triggers and is sticking with those.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The trick to speedloading Dan Wessons is to transfer the gun to your left hand using your left thumb to release the cylinder transferring the speedloader to your right hand pushing the cylinder out with the fingers of your left hand dump the speedloader and thumb the cylinder shut. I used my 44 for stock to unlimited IHMSA as well as the occasional IPSC and IDPA when nobody else was shooting the revolver class. I love the versatility of being able to swap barrels to suit any situation or competition classification.

I strugle with that but my hands may be to small. Though my wessons are some of my favorite target guns and I do use my stainless gun for field carry sometimes (if I only can find a 4" stainless barrel!)>

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    In my collection of handguns I am missing a wheel gun. I would like a nice. 357. Maybe one with a 4inch barrel,target sights,stainless. And maybe a snubby for ccw. I like the ruger lcr in 357 so I could practice with. 38's for ccw. Tell me now if I'm sounding like a complete jack ass. I'm a newb when it comes to wheel guns. Any thoughts on a nice range toy?

Take a look at the S&W 686

Biker-Dave

Nov 19, 2012
    I bought a used S&W MOD. 19 with a 2 1/2 inch in 1983. That has been one of the best guns I have ever had. Some may find it to big for CC but I love it. I also have the S&W 640 in .357 a verry nice gun for CC, but may not be the most fun at the range. I also enjoy shooting the Colt agent. nice and light, but older. no +p for her. All in all I own about 9 revolvers. It's what i learned on and just what I would rather shoot. Guess it has something to do with my days of handloading. With my .45 I was always looking on the ground for my brass.

GP-100 if you encounter the cardinal sin of running out of ammunition, it makes for a pretty good CQC baton. All kidding aside the Ruger triggers are not as smooth “except in the single action mode” as its S&W and Colt counterparts, but that’s the only discernible difference. However, it’s less expensive and pretty much shoots at parity with the S&W’s, so that makes it a good buy. I really enjoy shooting revolvers and none more than the Ruger SP101 357 mg with fiber optic sights and my trusty old Colt Python 6”.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I want a few as well... my dad has a Dan Wesson, if they are available again I would definitely be looking

Why would you do that. Msrp is around 1000 to 1200. For that you can buy an original pistol pack. Plenty of used, cheap quality monsoon Wessons on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom