• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greetings all,

I have had my Springfield Garand for some time now and put a lot of rounds down range. The serial number is 6 digits and the range puts the month and year of manufacture at October 1941. It has a replacement walnut stock that looks really nice. I want to get an original stock for it. I know I probably won't be able to get a stock from the exact time of manufacture. I want a nice old stock with as close to correct markings that my wallet can handle. Do any of you know where I can start looking? As far as I know it has all correct parts except for the rear sight and barrel. The barrel that was on it when I bought it was a very shot out post war so I bought a NOS SA 6 52 barrel and had it installed. Thanks for any help. Here's some pictures.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      127 KB · Views: 372
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      116.7 KB · Views: 285
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 292
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      84.9 KB · Views: 282
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      87.6 KB · Views: 288
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      60 KB · Views: 278
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      79.5 KB · Views: 282
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      68.3 KB · Views: 350
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      71.1 KB · Views: 276
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      87.1 KB · Views: 346

tylerevans42

May 31, 2015
    I'll trade with you :shrug: :lol:

Just pulling your leg sir.

Nice looking M1.

Attachments

• Garand3.jpg
      Garand3.jpg
      36 KB · Views: 349
    • Garand2.jpg
      Garand2.jpg
      35.1 KB · Views: 276
    • Garand4.jpg
      Garand4.jpg
      35.1 KB · Views: 261
    • Garand5.jpg
      Garand5.jpg
      40.8 KB · Views: 274

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    That's a beautiful condition stock, assuming it hasn't been sanded too badly. It seems to be an HRA stock judging by the shape, though unmarked.

If you want a "correct" stock, it will be an SA/GHS cartouched one. Expect to pay at least $400 for one in almost as nice condition, maybe a few more dings.

That's a beautiful condition stock, assuming it hasn't been sanded too badly. It seems to be an HRA stock judging by the shape, though unmarked.

If you want a "correct" stock, it will be an SA/GHS cartouched one. Expect to pay at least $400 for one in almost as nice condition, maybe a few more dings.

I don't think it's been sanded or touched in any way. I think I'd be willing to pay $400 for a correct stock that's almost a nice as the one I have now.

Feb 28, 2013
    I don't think it's been sanded or touched in any way. I think I'd be willing to pay $400 for a correct stock that's almost a nice as the one I have now.

It's your rifle, so it's your call.

But in my opinion that rifle looks beautiful just the way it is, especially if what you're lookin' for will set you back 400 bucks or better.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That's a great looking rifle with some nice early parts.

With the replacement sights and barrel, it'll never be "correct", so personally I'd be happy with that beautiful replacement stock, but it's your call.

I'd check the CMP forum first, but you could also contact Dupage and ask about their collector stocks.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    If your desire is to make the rifle 'look WWII' in addition to a vintage stock, you would need to change out the rear sight for the lock bar type, perhaps swap out the gas cylinder plug and front sight, and swap out the gas cylinder (WWII gas cylinders were not parkerized -- the stainless steel was finished with a black paint -like material (I forget the name) that wore off after a few months in the field.) Just my opinion, but if you don't want to go that far, I think you are fine with the stock you have.

I've been there. Tried building a factory correct rifle from a January 41 receiver. Once you start down the road of restoring the rifle to proper WWII configuration, you can get hooked on finding the correct parts. I eventually gave up after both the correct stock and barrel appeared to be unobtainable, and ended up selling the pile of parts I had accumulated. Still have that early 41 receiver packed away.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Baltimore's best pawn had a couple m1 stocks sitting around the other day I was in there. No idea what they have them priced at, but they are nice folks to deal with.

Orlando

If your desire is to make the rifle 'look WWII' in addition to a vintage stock, you would need to change out the rear sight for the lock bar type, perhaps swap out the gas cylinder plug and front sight, and swap out the gas cylinder (WWII gas cylinders were not parkerized -- the stainless steel was finished with a black paint -like material (I forget the name) that wore off after a few months in the field.) Just my opinion, but if you don't want to go that far, I think you are fine with the stock you have.

I've been there. Tried building a factory correct rifle from a January 41 receiver. Once you start down the road of restoring the rifle to proper WWII configuration, you can get hooked on finding the correct parts. I eventually gave up after both the correct stock and barrel appeared to be unobtainable, and ended up selling the pile of parts I had accumulated. Still have that early 41 receiver packed away.

Actually that rifle takes the flush nut sight which is before lock bars. "If" you can find them they sell for around $650

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    This thread has cemented my convictions to not step a toe into the garand waters.

I appreciate all of your knowledge and hope you can pass it on to your children.

Feb 28, 2013
    This thread has cemented my convictions to not step a toe into the garand waters.

I appreciate all of your knowledge and hope you can pass it on to your children.

I said the same thing before I bought mine.

But, they ain't makin' no more of 'em. So I had to have one. :)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

Just don't get caught in the "correcting" delusion.

I specialize in 100% authentic mixmasters, no two alike.

Working on one of each.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Just don't get caught in the "correcting" delusion.

I specialize in 100% authentic mixmasters, no two alike.

Working on one of each.

I agree... Correcting it is a usually a losing proposition (in that you spend more then it is worth).... and besides.... being a mixmaster is part of its history. However, I get the allure... especially if you are really close to having one correct (I have one of those now... it is just a bolt and a few small parts away from being 100%)

Like Threeband, I'm working on one of each too.... I still need a Winchester, but have the others. I guess maybe I could add a prewar Springfield too as well to the collection since I have a wartime and post war Springfield. Best part of Garands is that they are a blast to shoot! Once you shoot one, you'll want one!

Feb 28, 2013
    I didn't know I was delusional, all I said was I wanted a stock for my Garand.

Whoa, easy there. :)

His point was that right now you just might want to change the stock, but then later you might want an original gas plug, and so on. It's an easy trap to fall into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom