• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zebramochaman

May 3, 2009
    Damascus, MD
    I just won an auction for a SR1911.

I did pay a premium. MSRP is 799.99 and I won at $850. Some would ask why?

1. This is my first 1911. I feel that my collection would not be complete without one.
    2. I am a huge Ruger fan. I have read numerous reviews and looked at more than a few Youtube clips on this sidearm that sing the praises of this gun.
    3. In the current Political atmosphere, prices on desirable firearms are going to continue to rise. I did not think that I would be able to get this gun at a better price anytime in the near future.
    4. If I could have afforded it I might have gone for a Colt, however, IMHO all colts are overpriced. This is why I do not currently own any "Snake" Revolvers.

I am tickled pink. I cannot wait to get this sidearm home (under the current conditions, I do not expect to take it home anytime before the end of March, due to the current wait times for the NICS check)

Since I live in the SR of Maryland I will have to add about $100 to my purchase price for: the transfer fee, MSP processing fee and the "Lawyer Lock". Fortunately Ruger does supply a fired case. On other purchases I paid an
    additional $25 for an FFL to have the pleasure of firing my gun for the first time.
    I am very near to crossing the Potomac and living in a state that I can identify with. Maryland has become California-East. IMHO Martin O'Malley and his cronies are destroying this proud state and is perhaps the most liberal, left wing politician in the country.

ortoch

Feb 14, 2013
    Yeah and hes gonna be on the docket for the democratic primaries in 2016... makes me sick.

Hope you enjoy the ruger man I hope to pick up a remake 1911 in .22 for plinking around but I have enough guns to wait till after this whole gun crazyness settles down.

Very nice gun though man and even though I would agree with you that you got a good price in this climate more importantly your happy with the purchase and in the end thats all that matters.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I just won an auction for a SR1911.

I did pay a premium. MSRP is 799.99 and I won at $850. Some would ask why?

1. This is my first 1911. I feel that my collection would not be complete without one.
    2. I am a huge Ruger fan. I have read numerous reviews and looked at more than a few Youtube clips on this sidearm that sing the praises of this gun.
    3. In the current Political atmosphere, prices on desirable firearms are going to continue to rise. I did not think that I would be able to get this gun at a better price anytime in the near future.
    4. If I could have afforded it I might have gone for a Colt, however, IMHO all colts are overpriced. This is why I do not currently own any "Snake" Revolvers.

I am tickled pink. I cannot wait to get this sidearm home (under the current conditions, I do not expect to take it home anytime before the end of March, due to the current wait times for the NICS check)

Since I live in the SR of Maryland I will have to add about $100 to my purchase price for: the transfer fee, MSP processing fee and the "Lawyer Lock". Fortunately Ruger does supply a fired case. On other purchases I paid an
    additional $25 for an FFL to have the pleasure of firing my gun for the first time.
    I am very near to crossing the Potomac and living in a state that I can identify with. Maryland has become California-East. IMHO Martin O'Malley and his cronies are destroying this proud state and is perhaps the most liberal, left wing politician in the country.

Welcome to the 1911 club! After you buy your second one, nobody will welcome you to a club, but we will offer milk and cookies!

Good pickup on the SR1911. Let me know how it shoots once you bring it home.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Find a local MDS member, and borrow an Omega lock. That would save you a few dollars on having to buy that stupid ploy.

Ive have fired the SR1911 - its a nice gun.

You may want to look up how to field strip, a 1911 with a one piece full length guide rod. Some people seem to find these hard to reassemble during field strip/servicing but they are actually pretty easy to deal with once you know how.

Also look up 1911 "idiot scratch", so that you do not put one on your new 1911. No, Im not calling you an idiot -thats the slang/nickname term for that incident. It comes from putting the slidestop back into the pistol during reassembly of a field strip. You do not slide the slide stop into place at the plunger, you push it in!

carpentermatt

Feb 9, 2009
    Look up the sticky for the slide stop mod over on 1911 forums. Its a simple modification that took me less than 5 minutes and it eliminates the possibility of an idiot scratch. Just came in from shooting my 1911 in the backyard, living in the country has its advantages:)

zebramochaman

May 3, 2009
    Damascus, MD
    Look up the sticky for the slide stop mod over on 1911 forums. Its a simple modification that took me less than 5 minutes and it eliminates the possibility of an idiot scratch. Just came in from shooting my 1911 in the backyard, living in the country has its advantages:)

Thanks for the info. I am not a total 1911 newbie. I did babysit a buddy's Kimber while he played in the "sandbox" a couple of years ago. He encouraged me to take it to the range on a regular basis so that it did not forget what it was supposed to do. I did take it out several times but the gun and I did not get along. It was very picky about ammo (it really did not like hollow points) and for me it did not point naturally so I was not able to achieve any noteworthy groups. I do not really rack up the negatives to the gun since people that I respect achieved impressive results firing it. I just did not shoot it well. I did field strip, clean and lube it and I returned it to my buddy in the same condition as when it was received. based on my experiences with this gun Kimbers are not on my A-list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom