• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I started reloading a few months ago and I'm really enjoying it. The only thing that I hate is using the cheap ass powder scale that came with the Hornady classic kit. It drifts like crazy, changes the tare weight of the pan and can't be trusted.

Can somebody please recommend a decent digital scale that is under $200? I'm considering the RCBS Chargemaster 1500.

eric_2902

Retired Army
    Jan 13, 2010
    Conowingo
    I started reloading a few months ago and I'm really enjoying it. The only thing that I hate is using the cheap ass powder scale that came with the Hornady classic kit. It drifts like crazy, changes the tare weight of the pan and can't be trusted.

Can somebody please recommend a decent digital scale that is under $200? I'm considering the RCBS Chargemaster 1500.

I have to tell you...if it were legal in MD for a guy to marry his powder scale...I would hop on a knee and propose to my Chargemaster 1500.

Does not talk
    Likes the things I like
    Puts out when I want it

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    I don't like the digital ones. For me low tech is my preference in this area. I still use a Lyman balance beam scale. :thumbsup:

RosadoSM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 27, 2005
    King George, VA
    I use one of these.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=814722&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Reloading%20-%20Metallic%20Reloading%20Equipment%20%28Not%20Presses%29-_-PriceCompListing-_-814722

Works well for my needs. The charge master allows upgrading to the electronic powder dispenser as well. I assume you're just looking at the scale at this point and not the power dispenser as well. In general the combo is around 300.00 +/-

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=772151

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I don't like the digital ones. For me low tech is my preference in this area. I still use a Lyman balance beam scale. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: yeah.. got an old "gray colored" Lyman, still works great and accurate to this day. Also have the RCBS 505, 502 scales, got an "high tech" one also (put it back in the box), but still use the old tried and true. Still use the RCBS Uniflow powder measure, my DU-O-Measures plastic hopper finally broke and no parts available, guess I will try and make one. Amazing what you can acquire over the years.

-Rock

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

You need a new battery. Change it out and that should fix the problem.

Jim

tjdreams

Dave
    Nov 28, 2008
    Rosedale
    The RCBS 1500 combo is nice. Real Nice. A friend let me try his out but I can't justify the price when I have a old RCBS 5-10 balance beam scale that works just fine.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I always like to try the cheapest option first!
    Try moving it.
    Seriously some will react to things like fluorescent light fixtures & so on.
    Try it in a totally different room, if it settles down try positioning it elsewhere on your bench, sometimes just 6~12" is enough.

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    Stick with the Chargemaster. The combo if you can.

It's the best reloading investment I ever made.

Balls-on accurate and easy to use.

--Dan

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    +1 for old school.
    Unless you pay for a super accurate digital scale, you really have to consider the increments that the digital reads out to you. It can't be any more accurate than +/- your smallest increment, and it could be more than twice your smallest increment. If you are measuring 0.1 grains (you should be for an accurate load) and your scale's smallest increment is 0.1 grains, then your loads are not going to come out terribly accurate. Observe a beam scale that has 0.1 grain increments and notice how much powder trickles between a 0.1 grain change on the scale. We live in an analog world, and an analog scale reads minute changes that a digital scale doesn't report until the weight crosses the next threshhold...

Which scale type is better for reloading???
    + if you buy an RCBS beam scale, you can always have it sent back to Ohaus for recalibration if it is hanging up for free as I have done before. That's customer service.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    following this thread sort of funny... old technology = no battery, no electronics, just works, doesn't cost a lot, not tooo many things that can go wrong.... new technology.. man where's that battery, ooops battery died, electronics (oh boy), way to many things to go wrong, can you fix it in a pinch, cost, a "good scale" .01 accuracy.. oh well back in the cellar to reload more...

-Rock

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Things can go wrong with anything. I had an old (grey) Lyman & it started acting up after years of good service. Turned out the plastic (oops synthetic) knife edge bearings had worn so it wouldn't drop back in correctly from the rest notch.
    Battery, schmattery, just keep a spare fresh one handy & swap if in doubt.

Cowboy T

Agreed. Sometimes the "low tech" way is the best way. I tried a digital scale and found that it drifted way too much. Went to a traditional beam scale and was much happier.

That's also why I prefer analogue calipers. Now that I have my loads set up, it's rare that I ever need to actually measure OAL of any rounds. That means that the battery in the digital jobs will have discharged by the time I need it. Analogue? No batteries, no problem, it Just Works.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville

Me too but basically because I'm cheap. Also I only check every 20-30 rounds of ammo so I don't use it much. My Lee powder measure is crazy reliable for dropping Varget,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom