• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Soundman1

Aug 11, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    I was planning on shooting 2 of my pistols at Cresap tomorrow .. as early as possible .... but, my better half has to go to Baltimore for the day .. leaving me with no transportation. :banghead:

I am located near the McDonalds on Yellow Springs Rd & Tuscanney Dr ... actually on Coach House Way.

If any kind soul out there could give a ride to and from, Id be glad to pay your way in. Whatever time is good for you is good for me!

PM or Email me ... I'll be checking for replies till midnight.

Seth

Sep 17, 2013
    If the person picking you up has a handgun in his car he will be breaking the law by picking you up.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    Can you please provide the section of the law pertaining to this matter? This will provide some insight.

Technically...the law says to and from the range. Over zealous read of this could mean any stops wouldn't be allowed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    No need to stay home...just explaining how someone could read that as illegal. I don't see an issue myself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I am not a lawyer, but it would stand to reason that based on the wording of the law it never says DIRECTLY to the range. You are on your way to the range, and picking up a person that is also going to the range. You are not stopping at the mall to go shopping. You are not bringing it to work with you to go to the range during lunch or after work.

Keep it locked in the trunk, keep the ammo separate, leave mags unloaded (just to be even more safe), follow the rules of the roads, and be honest with any LEO you encounter if they ask questions.

You are going to the range and picking up someone. You are both going directly to the range from there. You are not making any stop other than picking someone up, and you will never be out of your car leaving the firearm or ammunition unattended.

Seth

Sep 17, 2013
    The firearms specific attorney I consulted in my move to MD after getting unclear answers from this board (you aren't lawyers, most of you anyways!) told me that driving with a friend to the range without the designated collectors loophole used is grounds for illegal transport of a handgun. YMMV, I doubt you will actually get in trouble, but as a gun owner I choose to follow the law to the letter whenever possible even if it is inconvenient.

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    The firearms specific attorney I consulted in my move to MD after getting unclear answers from this board (you aren't lawyers, most of you anyways!) told me that driving with a friend to the range without the designated collectors loophole used is grounds for illegal transport of a handgun. YMMV, I doubt you will actually get in trouble, but as a gun owner I choose to follow the law to the letter whenever possible even if it is inconvenient.

Luckily I'm a designated collector :lol:

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana

The firearms specific attorney that you consulted needs to go back to where he got his Juris Doctorate and ask for his money back. Because he does not know what he is talking about.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    The firearms specific attorney that you consulted needs to go back to where he got his Juris Doctorate and ask for his money back. Because he does not know what he is talking about.

No the lawyer gave the right interpretation. This is one very very common question that still has not been 100% answered . There are many forums that argue on this subject.

UNcommon Arms

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 16, 2011
    Howard County
    Previous post: --> "be honest with any LEO you encounter if they ask questions."

How to encounter LEO on traffic stop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bQp7PLlzTk

Flex your rights. LEO has no right to ask you any questions re: where are you going? where have you been? If you respectfully "flex your rights" the police must respect that and let you go on your way.

Last edited:

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Previous post: --> "be honest with any LEO you encounter if they ask questions."

How to encounter LEO on traffic stop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bQp7PLlzTk

Flex your rights. LEO has no right to ask you any questions re: where are you going? where have you been? If you respectfully "flex your rights" the police must respect that and let you go on your way.

There is a difference between asserting your rights and lying. If the officer asks if you are transporting weapons, which they will, and you say no you have obstructed justice. I'm all for protecting and asserting your rights but I obey the law also. If you have never seen it and have 45 minutes to spare this a great video about never talking to police made by a lawyer along with a detective.

http://youtu.be/6wXkI4t7nuc

Soundman1

Aug 11, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Great time at Cresap

:thumbsup: Thanks for everyone's input ... TO and FROM was uneventful.

Had a great time at the range .. made some new friends .. good people !!

Thanks again :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom