I have been out of the loop for a long time....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnum

Feb 5, 2007
    New Windsor, Maryland
    So, as my title says, I have not been on this site for a long time and have not been keeping up to date with gun laws and legislation. I have been pursuing my other hobby meanwhile. I am back today though, because of the SCOTUS NY ruling and the Governors message to MSP on "G and S". I never thought that Maryland would ever become a shall issue state in my lifetime. I kind of gave up on that issue. I`m still a member of gun associations and I still vote to try to get pro gun candidates in office, I just kind of lost hope that Maryland would ever be a shall issue state.

So, I need to catch up on things relating to applying for a wear and carry permit and a HQL license. First, I do not have a HQL license yet. I am now starting that process and I have questions for applying for that.
    I think I am exempt from the HQL training. I have a certificate from Maryland Police Training- Firearms Safety Traing Course that I took back in June of 2007. And a certificate from the NRA in basics of Pistol Training from March of 2008. Are these valid to be exempt from the training requirement? I also have a registered firearm, but I do not wish to disclose that part yet.
    Next question; I had my fingerprints taken at MSP back in April 2008 for a different concealed firearm permit. I still have the card showing the authorization numbers. Can I use this, or do I need to have my fingerprints done again?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you have on helping me go through the process as quickly and smoothly as possible.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Maryland Police Training- Firearms Safety Traing Course that I took back in June of 2007. And a certificate from the NRA in basics of Pistol Training from March of 2008. Are these valid to be exempt from the training requirement? I also have a registered firearm,

no. no. yes. only the registered firearm exempts you. pretty sure the NRA class doesnt unless it was given my MD handgun instructor, which didnt exist in 2008. what about a hunting license? TX hunter safety is still online, and still cheap, and still works.

Finger prints need to be done again. within 30 days of application as i recall.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    That training does not make you exempt I believe but if you purchased a regulated firearm prior to 10/1/2013 you are automatically exempt from HQL training. You will have to do the 16hr HGP training though for carry.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    the W&C Training satisfies the HQL training too. And when you get the WC you get the HQL as a bonus prize. But you won't get the WC until Oct.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Oh, so does that mean if I go straight for applying for the Wear and Carry permit, I don`t have to go through the HQL process?
    That's the way I understand it. Don't bother with the HQL unless you are looking to buy a new regulated gun before the W&C issues (and who knows how long that will take).

Welcome back.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you already own a handgun, you're exempt from HQL training anyway. But unless you're in a hurry, just get your W&C and collect your bonus HQL at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom