• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I don't think he's planning on registering it, more likely wanting to have some docs to shortcut any possible future case if he wanted to quickly show that he had it built prior to 10/1.... (rather than wait for the state to attempt and fail to prove he built it after)

But I didn't think the separate items were banned, but the sale and transfer of a rifle with those features. Lowers will still be available and allowed, just not complete in the current configurations.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    You can also poor man patent it. (poor man copyright)
    Take pictures, put it in an envelope and certify mail it to yourself.
    Don't open it except in court.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_man's_copyright

You don't have to fill out a 77r if you build it yourself?

LOL...this is how we copyrighted or first record back in '89. I still have the unopened envelope. Tell the post office attendant what you are doing. They will put additional certified stamp marks across the seams of the envelope to show that is was not tampered with.

But as far as this original point...the lower needs to be sold as a regulated firearm. It will then be legal to add a non H-bar barrel after Oct. 1st. No need to go through all this, but if it makes you feel safer, then go ahead and do it.

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    Why do we have to document having built a finished 80%. After all, isn't the purpose of having an 80%:

1. To have a firearm without any possiblity of being traced;
    2. Not having to ducument possessing it;

Isn't the burden of proof on the state if they claim that you did not have it before 10/1?

And, what does it matter, since SB281 bans purchase, transfer of AW's, but an 80% receiver is not an AW unless finished, and even if you finish it after 10/1, how would anyone know?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    UPS stores are ridiculously hoplophobic.

Meanwhile, a couple years ago, BB&T bank began refusing to notarize any documents not produced by BB&T. I went to Shenandoah bank, where they shook their heads at BB&T's foolishness, and happily notarized my document, no charge.

Then a year or so later, I took a document to Shenandoah, and they refused to notarize it. They'd adopted BB&T's policy.

They seemed to believe they were certifying the content of the document, no matter how much I told them they were only certifying my signature.

Anyway, the best and easiest way to document your AR is to send detailed photographs in an e-mail to yourself.. NSA, the FBI, and probably the MSP will all get their own copies for their files right away.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Actually, when I saw this thread I tried to think of a time I needed a notary for something that wasn't gun-related.

Couldn't think of anything.

semper000

Mar 24, 2009
    Isn't the burden of proof on the state if they claim that you did not have it before 10/1?

Exactly, I see post after post of folks going out of their way to prove they are not criminals. I refuse to live my life this way. What law in America does a citizen have to prove innocence before proven guilty? This is not Russia (yet), and I will not live as such.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    File a compliant against his/her @$$!!

A notary cannot refuse to notarize a properly presented document. Notaries technically hold a public office because they are "appointed" by the governor (in Maryland at least). Tha being said, a notary denying services simply because they disagree with the contents of the document is unacceptable. You should file a complaint with the Maryland Secretary of State (sos.state.md.us). At least make life difficult for your new pinko commie friend ;)

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

A notary cannot refuse to notarize a properly presented document. Notaries technically hold a public office because they are "appointed" by the governor (in Maryland at least). Tha being said, a notary denying services simply because they disagree with the contents of the document is unacceptable. You should file a complaint with the Maryland Secretary of State (sos.state.md.us). At least make life difficult for your new pinko commie friend ;)

Incorrect. Anyone can become a notary.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Incorrect. Anyone can become a notary.

Yes, anyone (myself included) can fill out the application and have the governor "appoint" (hence the quotes in my original post) them as a notary. While anyone can become a notary, it is still technically a "public office position" under Maryland law (there is an exemption specifically for notaries tha allows them to hold concurrent public offices).

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Just walk in with your AR, and if its chilly, wear a ski mask.:innocent0

Should be no problem at all!

ROFLMAO!!! Guaranteed to be indelible, documented, time stamped proof!

(of the AR you USED to own) :lol2:

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    You guys are ridiculous. In order to save a few bucks, you're gonna go through some sort of poor man's whatever instead of just asking me as some folks have suggested. I am doing affidavits for a fee of $50 for the first gun and $10 for every gun thereafter. Its a steal by legal fee standards and a hell of a better solution than taking a picture of yourself holding a newspaper and the gun.

1King

Sep 4, 2013
    In the fu@cked up state
    Why do we have to document having built a finished 80%. After all, isn't the purpose of having an 80%:

1. To have a firearm without any possiblity of being traced;
    2. Not having to ducument possessing it;

And, what does it matter, since SB281 bans purchase, transfer of AW's, but an 80% receiver is not an AW unless finished, and even if you finish it after 10/1, how would anyone know?
    AGREE.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    I completed an AR15 80% lower recently and assembled an AR15. In an effort to document the build before 1 Oct I took pictures of the weapon and went to the UPS store in Westminster to get a notary to sign the paper on which I had printed the pictures of the finished gun and lower. The notary refused to perform the service. He said he was not comfortable with the situation and would not risk his stamp on something with respect to weapons. He was happy to write down his reasons and sign the paper on which he wrote the reasons.

So how do I document my AR15 build before 1 Oct?

John C

Go to Freestate during the day, they have a very nice Notary.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    A notary cannot refuse to notarize a properly presented document. . . a notary denying services simply because they disagree with the contents of the document is unacceptable. You should file a complaint with the Maryland Secretary of State (sos.state.md.us). At least make life difficult for your new pinko commie friend ;)

Please cite any specific Maryland statute or regulation, or any formal or informal guidance issued to notaries by the Secretary of State, to support the claim that "a notary cannot refuse to notarize a properly presented document." I would be interested to see any such guidance, but I believe it unlikely that you will find any. Until and unless it is produced, I will reiterate what I wrote above, which is that I believe a notary public is under no obligation to sign any document.

Our local branch bank has a policy that their notaries will not sign any Power of Attorney form. I found this inconvenient, but I recall nothing in the regulations on or guidance to notaries that says they cannot have such a policy. When an NP signs a document, he or she retains a record of the act in his bound book, and there is always a possibility that he will be called to testify regarding the authenticity of the document in some later proceeding. I believe that a notary may, at his sole discretion, for reasons good or bad, simply determine that there certain types of matters in which he does not wish to risk later entanglement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom