I don't understand concept of more ar15 uppers than lowers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thai

May 8, 2013
    When people bring up the idea of purchasing more lowers, people always chime in with having more uppers makes more sense. I don't understand the logic in this line of thinking.

On October 1st ar15 are no longer legal to purchase. You can buy all the uppers you want. Lowers will be banned. People are stocking up on lowers because that will be the determining factor. Want purchase more lowers to build complete rifles later.

Why would yoh want to accumulate more uppers than lowers? It really doesn't make sense if you only have 3 lowers and 6 or more uppers. What would happen should a lower breaks for some unfortunate reason?

You can get 5 to 10 lowers for a single upper. With the potential to build every single one. At this point in time it would be bad economy and poor logic to stock up on uppers while you only have 3 lowers. Or to have 2 or three more uppers than you have lowers.

So what have I missed on the reasoning of having more uppers than lowers right not with the impending law looming?

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Reasoning begin you only need one lower. Any upper will fit that lower. No one is saying to stock up on uppers, just that the money would be better spent on purchasing a variety of uppers whether it's now or latter.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I agree that now is a bad time to stock up on uppers. Money is best spent on some spare lowers until Oct 1st. Only owning one lower is an epic fail after Oct 1st if the lower receiver ever fails.

Goose Guy

Skooma lord
    Mar 29, 2010
    People's Respublik of Maryland
    I agree that now is a bad time to stock up on uppers. Money is best spent on some spare lowers until Oct 1st. Only owning one lower is an epic fail after Oct 1st if the lower receiver ever fails.

Dammit, stop confusing me! Here I was thinking I was all ready to look at something else, too. Well, if I put that off for a week or two, then....

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Yes but you can't legally swap uppers. So the gun will be locked into the HBAR config forever.

Thanks
    Robert

Darn, since it'll be locked that means I won't be able to take the HBAR upper off it's lower to clean everything. :rolleyes:

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Yes but you can't legally swap uppers. So the gun will be locked into the HBAR config forever.

Says what? Once you have a lower I don't see where it says you can't swap a different upper on to it. Uppers are not regulated as they are not considered the firearm.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Says what? Once you have a lower I don't see where it says you can't swap a different upper on to it. Uppers are not regulated as they are not considered the firearm.

If you purchase an HBAR after October 1, as they will still be legal, you MAY NOT put a different upper on it. You will be creating a firearm whose configuration is banned. Otherwise the ban would not be a big issue. You could just buy and HBAR and put whatever upper you want on it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Different for long term strategy versus short term.

NOW, stock up on lowers.

Over the next several years, stock up on uppers.

But personally, I want complete guns. Half a gun is of little use.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Is all of this debate academic? How on earth is MSP going to enforce this law? We learned during SB281 that they have been unable to enforce straw purchases, yet have wasted a lot of taxpayer money on 'voluntary registration' and can't even obey the 7 day 'cooling off period' release law. Are people now fearful that they are going to have to bring their gun and their registration paperwork to the range?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Putting together parts is worlds apart from making/manufacturing said parts.

This above, and since HBARS are cash and carry today, and after Oct 1st still are and Uppers are not regulated how in the hell is anyone going to prove when or how you assembled a rifle? Not all AR's sold today as HBARS are marked on the receiver. Man this State is really F'd up.

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    After Oct 1st you would be manufacturing a banned firearm.

I have tried several times to find in SB281 where manufacturing is called out and have not been able to. I see no mention of manufacturing or assembling in fact.

I intend to build my lowers when and as I please, they were purchased legally after all.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I have tried several times to find in SB281 where manufacturing is called out and have not been able to. I see no mention of manufacturing or assembling in fact.

I intend to build my lowers when and as I please, they were purchased legally after all.

It's there and is addressed.......for magazines. No mention of "Manufacture" for firearms which is why there are multiple thread debates on 80% lowers.

As per not being able to change the upper on a post 10/1 HBAR, that serial # will be listed as a 5.56 HBAR, which is where you will run into difficulty.

However, lowers purchased prior to 10/1 are listed as "Multi caliber" so y'all are correct, they have no idea what caliber you are putting on it, hence the current train of thought of buying all the lowers you can now, then post 10/1 adding in multiple uppers for different calibers/barrel lengths.

thai

May 8, 2013
    Different for long term strategy versus short term.

NOW, stock up on lowers.

Over the next several years, stock up on uppers.

But personally, I want complete guns. Half a gun is of little use.

That is the reasoning that I ascribe to exactly! I only want my guns completely built. With all the perfect parts for that specifi upper mated to the specific lower. With the desired trigger, stock, grips, bcg, sights, optics, etc. Once built I don't go screwing around with it. I rarely remove the upper from the lower when cleaning.

When SHTF, I will not be screwing with swapping uppers and lowers. All my firearms are reading to rock.

Regarding purchasing HBars after the ban. Why buy an Hbar for $1200+ just so you swap an illegal upper to it later and playing with fire in taking it to the range to test and sight in? You can purchase lowers now for just a couple hundred and avoid all the legal ********!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom