• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    This is more like a fact finding mission.

I have narrowed my selection of carry weapons down to a short list.

Glock 26, CZ 2075 BD, Ruger SR9c, Kahr PM9

Keep in mind I am paper shopping and have no shooting/handling experience with any of these firearms :D. That said just looking for pros/cons/opinions.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    You may want to handle them and see which feels more comfortable. This might sound stupid but if there is anyway you can borrow one and see how it feels to carry and shoot I'd recommend that.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My advice, Glock 19 or 23. You're not a little guy. A few minor changes to your wardrobe, a good holster, more rounds and easier to handle. Change your wardrobe to carry the gun you want, not the other way around.

ForwardAssist

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    May 17, 2009
    Out of those choices I'd say the Glock. It's very hard to go wrong with a Glock.

If you're not gonna carry it daily you may want to reconsider and go with a full size. The compact models have a shorter sight radius and shorter grip which generaly don't provide the highest possible accuracy if you're target shooting. Longer mags can offset the grip issue though.

If you want a decocker, how about a sig 229 DA/SA? Fairly compact. High quality.

Edit: Noticed you're in Elkton. Contact Scottese by PM. He's in Bear, De. and he frequently obtains clean used Sigs and Glocks for a decent price. Some are very lightly used LEO trade-ins. If I recall correctly, he's stated before that he'll adjust prices for MD residents to offset transfer costs.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    But Glocks work so well that they're boring. You always know what you're getting with a Glock.

Yup, you do. :D

Buy a Taurus for range trips and get all the drama you like, as a carry gun the Glock 19 is danm near perfect.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    This is more like a fact finding mission.

I have narrowed my selection of carry weapons down to a short list.

Glock 26, CZ 2075 BD, Ruger SR9c, Kahr PM9

Keep in mind I am paper shopping and have no shooting/handling experience with any of these firearms :D. That said just looking for pros/cons/opinions.

Uhmm my vote would go to the G26. I've never fired the CZ, the Ruger SR9c is too new for me to be able to trust it yet, and the Kahr I fired...sucked.

I mean it depends. What method of carry? If you want to throw it in your pocket, you should go with the PM9.

I voted Glock 26 because its proven. And its more comfortable to shoot than the Kahr (in my opinion.) And you also have a zillion aftermarket parts/accessories for the glock.

I've never OWNED the Kahr but two of my friends have owned two each. Each of them had to send one of them back to the factory (One was PM9 I forget what the other one was) but once they got them back they were perfectly reliable. A lot of people swear by Kahrs, some think the tolerances are too tight and that makes them finicky. I don't know, I havent owned one.

What I DO know is that the Glock will run for you out of the box, it's much more comfortable to shoot, and parts/accessories are easy to come by.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Yup, you do. :D

Buy a Taurus for range trips and get all the drama you like, as a carry gun the Glock 19 is danm near perfect.

Hell yes. I started playing with my glock in my supertuck around the house, just to see how it feels. Its perfect. It disappears completely. G19 is the perfect size for me.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    What is the difference between the 17 and 19? I know that all the models based off the 17 are nearly perfect weapons :D.

ForwardAssist

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    May 17, 2009
    The Glock 19 is effectively a reduced-size Glock 17, called the "Compact" by the manufacturer. It was first produced in 1988, primarily for military and law enforcement. The Glock 19 has a barrel and pistol grip that are shorter by approximately 12 mm (0.5 in) compared to the Glock 17 and uses a magazine with a standard capacity of 15 rounds. The pistol is also compatible with factory magazines from the Glock 17 and Glock 18, with available capacities of 10, 17, 19, and 33 rounds. To preserve the operational reliability of the short recoil system, the mass of the slide remains the same as in the Glock 17 from which it is derived. With the exception of the slide, frame, barrel, locking block, recoil spring, guide rod, and slide lock spring, all of the other components are interchangeable between the models 17 and 19.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock_pistol

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The 19 is a little smaller than the 17.

That's it.

The 17/22 are great night stand guns and duty weapons. Great in colder climates as carry guns or for those of us that have gotten good at concealing.

The 19/23 are slightly smaller. Great carry guns, frequently carried by plainclothes police officers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom