• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RealtorMatt

I am looking to pick up a new hunting rifle to take up north with me this fall/winter for a few hunting trips. I will be hunting up to moose and brown bear size game... but would like something that isn't overkill for a whitetail deer either.

I really like what I see out of the Savage 116 and the Tikka T3 (I do like stainless, but not required). I am thinking either 270, 7MM Rem Mag, or the classic 30-06 (I've never fired .300 win mag and don't know much about it to be honest)

Any seasoned hunters have any good recommendations? I am not set on the Savage or Tikka but I have read good reviews and I like the looks, but I am certainly open to any ideas.

I am looking primarily for something ready to shoot out of the box (I will buy the scope separately), as I don't have much time or desire to re-outfit immediately with a new stock and trigger.

Budget for the rifle alone I am looking maybe around $500-$800, but am somewhat flexible for the right rifle.

Any help pointing me in a good direction is appreciated!

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Moose and bear plus deer? 30-06

It has the versatility you need. Light weight bullets for deer and heavier for the big boys. And you can't go wrong with a Tikka T3. I have one in .25-06 and love it.

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    I like 30-06 - I have a remington pump. I like a fast second shot. I'm not into bolt action rifles

I know I can find the 30-06 ammo everywhere in a variety of styles

It's like I use square D breakers - not because they are the best but because I know I can always get them and they work very well

this looks like mine but I have caps on the scope

Attachments

• 30-06.jpg
      30-06.jpg
      60 KB · Views: 240

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    I am looking to pick up a new hunting rifle to take up north with me this fall/winter for a few hunting trips. I will be hunting up to moose and brown bear size game... but would like something that isn't overkill for a whitetail deer either.

I really like what I see out of the Savage 116 and the Tikka T3 (I do like stainless, but not required). I am thinking either 270, 7MM Rem Mag, or the classic 30-06 (I've never fired .300 win mag and don't know much about it to be honest)

Any seasoned hunters have any good recommendations? I am not set on the Savage or Tikka but I have read good reviews and I like the looks, but I am certainly open to any ideas.

I am looking primarily for something ready to shoot out of the box (I will buy the scope separately), as I don't have much time or desire to re-outfit immediately with a new stock and trigger.

Budget for the rifle alone I am looking maybe around $500-$800, but am somewhat flexible for the right rifle.

Any help pointing me in a good direction is appreciated!

I recommend the Remington VTR 700 chambered in .308. incredible accuracy out of the box and it can knock down whatever you're shooting at.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have a Left Hand Savage 116 in 30-06 with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope that is a nice shooter. Go with 150 to 165 grain bullets for deer/black bear and 180 to 220 grain on the moose/brown bear.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I am an avid hunter and am going to Africa next month on a hunting and photo safari. I cannot recommend any rifle higher than the Blaser R8.

My rifle in 375 H&H Magnum Kilombero is incredibly accurate and the take down ability means you don't buy just one rifle but many. Barrels can be swapped out for the perfect combination. The straight bolt throw is really fast. It is also the only bolt action rifle that has a de-cock AFAIK.

I'd also recommend a Zeiss Victory HT scope as the barrels accept a Zeiss mount.

I want to get a Baronesse for my wife but that will have to wait for next year's hunt.

REF:
    http://www.blaser-usa.com/index.php?id=102&L=1

REF: the video is a bit dramatic but illustrates the rifle's features:
    http://www.blaser-usa.com/index.php?id=1008&L=1

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Get a 30-06. The best all around hunting caliber and available at Dick's or Walmart right now. What you shoot it out of is up to you.

I do suggest you look at the Steyr Pro Hunter WOW

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Get a 30-06. The best all around hunting caliber and available at Dick's or Walmart right now. What you shoot it out of is up to you.

I do suggest you look at the Steyr Pro Hunter WOW
    30-06 is the best all-round caliber for hunting IMHO. We're taking that rifle caliber to Africa. It will be used on everything from hyena to baboons & oryx.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you do not reload, .30-06 has about the widest selection of ammo for all sorts of uses.

If you reload, you can do similar to many rounds. But there tends to be a wider range of bullets in .30 caliber than some of the others.

Savage is known for making some very nice shooting, accurate rifles.

Tikka is from Sako, and is highly regarded.

You won't go wrong with either one.

Of course, there is also the ubiquitous Remington 700. Probably the best supported in the aftermarket. But the Savage and Tikka are close behind.

Also Winchester Model 70.

Best is to find places with them in stock (caliber doesn't matter for this) and handle each one. Work the action, shoulder it, spend some time with each. You may find that one just feels better.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I love my Tikka T3, mine is 243. Super light and shoots very well!

Like posted above...Savage, Remington or Tikka...can't go wrong.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    Gotta go with 30-06 for your application due to the versatile nature of that caliber...although if I was going after a brown bear, i'd be going with a more powerful caliber such as 338 Win Mag and if I was going after deer at a later date, i'd be much happier with a .270 with a 130 grain soft point as 30-06 rifles with 150 grain soft points in my experience kick appreciably harder and don't kill any better....

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    308 is very close in Ballistics as the 30-06. I have both but shoot the 308 a lot more because I have a ton of ammo for it. google 30-06 vs 308.

RealtorMatt

Thank you guys for the recommendations... I am relatively new to larger game hunting, so I really appreciate it. With MD being the way it is, most of my hunting has been done with a 22-250 or shotgun.

Looks like 30-06 gets the popular vote... now it's time to fondle a few rifles and see which one feels the best. I am happy to see some first person reports on the Tikka and Savage, those are definitely the frontrunners at the moment.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Marlin lever action in .35 Remington . I heard so much good stuff from multiple ppl, tht I just sold my 30/30 and got one.

Last edited:

Dick Chaney

May 5, 2013
    I heard so much about a 30-06 being the best round I bought one. We shall see. Bought a remington 700 bdl and tweaked it to my liking. I replaced a 243 remington 700 bdl it just didnt get the job done sometimes. I want a deer to look at me and fall on the spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom