• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    We are looking at a house that has a couple acres that back up to what looks like a creek and is unbuildable. When I do a search on Zillow, Redfin, etc., it shows that no one owns the large tract of land and is listed as "open". I'm assuming it's either state or county owned but there is no address to associate with it, so I'm unsure of if it's legal to hunt on it or even who to contact. Anyone here ever had any experience like this?

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    It's likely county or state owned, but Maryland law says that you must have written permission from the land owner to hunt on land that you do not own, unless it's designated as public hunting land. Therefore, you would not be able to legally hunt this land.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    My best guess would be to call the clerk's office. If you can find out the parcel map number that might give you a little bit of a lead. Or if it has an entrance from a road you can look it up here http://sdat.dat.maryland.gov/RealProperty/Pages/default.aspx.

Technically you have an "out" if the line between your property and the property you want to hunt is not marked with either no trespassing signs or blue spray paint. If you see yellow spray paint then it is a public hunting area.

In other news, bows are pretty quiet when discharged....

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    So there's no "street address" since it's looks like the land is behind the homes and has no street access. Here's a screen shot from Zillow and what the property lines look like. By looking up those areas, none have paid taxes so I'm assuming it's county land.

Attachments

• LandCapture.jpg
      LandCapture.jpg
      103.4 KB · Views: 282

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    We are looking at a house that has a couple acres that back up to what looks like a creek and is unbuildable. When I do a search on Zillow, Redfin, etc., it shows that no one owns the large tract of land and is listed as "open". I'm assuming it's either state or county owned but there is no address to associate with it, so I'm unsure of if it's legal to hunt on it or even who to contact. Anyone here ever had any experience like this?

When I lived in MD I was close to some property like that...it was basically a creek bed but bordered by other peoples property, technically no public access BUT it was the subdivisions property hence private property....I know myself and a couple others hunted it with no problems. And let me tell you theres some big bucks hiding in those woods.

Probably talk to the property tax people and they should know. Id hunt it for sure.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My biggest concern now is making sure property is 10,000% legal to hunt on. With the new poaching laws, knowing my luck I'd bag a nice big buck and it would turn out I am on public land...but not huntable public land and end up with a nice big $10,000 poaching fine or some crap.

I'd try talking to the county about the parcel. They should be able to tell you who owns it and even if it is public you could contact the locality/county/state about hunting permission sharing your property boarders it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom