• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ImperatorZices

Imperator
    Jan 22, 2009
    I have never gone hunting, but I was hoping to do so sometime during the next month or so.

I have no experience, and I have no idea how to start planning for the event. My experience is limited to target shooting, hiking, and rock climbing.

Can anyone offer some advice to a newb wanna-be hunter? It doesn't matter what type of game it is (nutria?), but I would like to know what will be required for a trip including: equipment, planning, procedures, rules, helpful hints.

As an aside, if anyone's willing to take an extra guy on a hunt it would be greatly appreciated...:o

Thanks in advance for the advice!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    id start with the hunting/regulations booklet you can get at walmart or where ever they sell hunting licenses...read that to get an idea of seasons and bag limits etc...and rules

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    I believe you HAVE TO take the hunter safety course to get a license, no? I haven't hunted previously either, but took the course last year. In my opinion, there aren't enough (if any) opportunities for a newby to get into hunting if he or she doesn't have friends that do it.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Although i had a hunter's license several decades ago, I recently took the hunter safety course with my daughter and nephew (and brother, who has been actively hunting for decades). The course takes two days and by the time you're through with it, you have all of the basic safety rules thoroughly drummed into your subconscious. As much as I hate MD forcing requirements on people, the course is worthwhile.

Deerminator

Jul 5, 2010
    Hagerstown
    Unless you meet one of these requirements : http://www.dnr.state.md.us/nrp/education/hunteredu.html then you will need to take the Hunter's Safety Course.

They should be offering them in numerous places right about now before the fall hunting season kicks in. Most are 15hrs or so and you have to pass a 50 question exam. No brainer really. Like others have said, it is a really useful course.

You get that nocked out and still want to go, shoot me a PM. I live in Washington Co. and would be willing to take you for small game / deer.

ImperatorZices

Imperator
    Jan 22, 2009
    Thanks for all the info! I'll look into everything, and I'll hopefully be able to take a course before school starts.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Unless you meet one of these requirements : http://www.dnr.state.md.us/nrp/education/hunteredu.html then you will need to take the Hunter's Safety Course.

They should be offering them in numerous places right about now before the fall hunting season kicks in. Most are 15hrs or so and you have to pass a 50 question exam. No brainer really. Like others have said, it is a really useful course.

You get that nocked out and still want to go, shoot me a PM. I live in Washington Co. and would be willing to take you for small game / deer.
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/nrp_classes.asp

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There is an online option for the classroom portion and written test. Then you only need one morning in person for the field/ shooting portion.
    That being said, if you can fit it into it is prefered to both interact with fellow students, and have direct Q&A with knowledegable instructors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom