Hunter Safety Course. Just not for MARYLAND.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    TxAggie...pass the course, become certified, and join the rest of us in volunteering. I'll sign you up for one field day per month. Would that be plenty of opportunities for potential hunters?

I just put in my paperwork to volunteer with the group out of Frederick IWLA. As to there not being enough classes, the Frederick group says their courses from feb-June are sometimes barely half full. Their 3-day class this past weekend had 40 people. Also, they use .22 cal single shot bolt action rifles for their range portion.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    What's involved in the filed day and how long does it take? I took a course in NY back in the 60's and it basically involved shooting a few clay targets. I had a license in MD back in the 70's and 80's but can't find any of them to get a pass. I can get a license w/o the classes but can't hunt on some public lands w/o the cert. it seems. I've had trouble finding a convenient filed class in Balt County the last couple of years.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    If you take the Internet course, the field day will include a 3 hour content review. The rest is the same "test" as the in-person class.

There is a 50 question multiple choice test, then you do the hands-on portion. This consists of the range portion where you either shoot 5 rounds from a .22 LR, or three .20 GA at still targets. You don't have to be accurate, but you have to be safe. You must work the action, load it properly, follow instructions, and be safe.

The scenario portion uses real firearms that have been disabled & painted hunter orange. In a small group, you demo each of the carry techniques as instructed. We go to eight stations and ask "shoot" or "no-shoot" for each situation.

You have to pass every portion to pass the course. If we feel that someone will not be safe, they fail.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back in the day , there wasn't somthing seperate called Field Day . It was just the second half of the second day of the class.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Stupid question #6,549,274:

Do you have to shoot a shotgun to complete the hunter's safety class or can you limit yourself to rifles?

Depends on the range and what the DNR supplies the instructors. Our club can do either.. but we opted for 20ga shotguns. Easier to clean.. (whenever we get them that is).

wow has that changed? did ours (I had a NJ one but son didnt) in 06 in Cecil County and we used BB guns

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Hunter Testing??

Our class is two days. ;)

Depending how old is your son. He can take the online class and do a field day after.

Question:
    OK so one can take the on-line course and if passed(50 question final), a Voucher will be sent along.

Then to the "Field Day"...Is there another 50 question test on Field Day???
    Thanks
    R

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Question:
    OK so one can take the on-line course and if passed(50 question final), a Voucher will be sent along.

Then to the "Field Day"...Is there another 50 question test on Field Day???
    Thanks
    R

yes.. the final test that the dnr really care about is the one on field day... believe the one on the online is just to make sure you paying attention... :lol2:

its just another way to know who are the cheaters (have somebody else take the online just to get their hunting license).

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    No. There are plenty of classes. There are also plenty of procrastinators. THAT is why CERTAIN classes are full. Other classes are not.

There may be procrastinators, I'll give you that. Or it may simply be that people are busy and trying to schedule a class 2 months out can be difficult.

I'm simply stating it from a supply/demand perspective. If all/most of the classes are full and have a waiting list, that tells me there aren't enough classes scheduled for that location. It doesn't matter if they fill up two weeks prior or the day of.

And for the record, I got in the first class I applied for, so I wasn't procrastinating I just had to find one that fit my schedule.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    TxAggie-I hear ya about the schedule. Just try and find an afternoon class. Impossible.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    There may be procrastinators, I'll give you that. Or it may simply be that people are busy and trying to schedule a class 2 months out can be difficult.

I'm simply stating it from a supply/demand perspective. If all/most of the classes are full and have a waiting list, that tells me there aren't enough classes scheduled for that location. It doesn't matter if they fill up two weeks prior or the day of.

And for the record, I got in the first class I applied for, so I wasn't procrastinating I just had to find one that fit my schedule.

The thing is Maryland DNR doesn't provide the classes themselves. They are all provided via volunteers at various locations (mostly gun clubs). LIke someone else noted, spring/summer classes are often less than full as was true of us in the past. I will say this, however, at Stoney Creek we have shifted our courses to July, August, September from September, October and November. (We also give classes in March and May). All summer long classes were over full (we try to limit to 80 students per class). In July we had 96, for example. All this in addition to an ever expanding number of field days to accommodate the Internet class students.

H

HazeLine

Well just to add on I just obtained my MD Hunting License without field day. I did just what DNR told me to do, enter my voucher # in on DNR's site and paid for my license the same as purchasing one for fishing. I did this two weeks ago.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    The thing is Maryland DNR doesn't provide the classes themselves. They are all provided via volunteers at various locations (mostly gun clubs). LIke someone else noted, spring/summer classes are often less than full as was true of us in the past. I will say this, however, at Stoney Creek we have shifted our courses to July, August, September from September, October and November. (We also give classes in March and May). All summer long classes were over full (we try to limit to 80 students per class). In July we had 96, for example. All this in addition to an ever expanding number of field days to accommodate the Internet class students.

This^

Adapting to fit the needs, this is what I'm getting at. If you're at SCFHC, then your class is the one I'm signed up for, so I'll see you Saturday.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Just finished the internet field day and received my card at Stony Creek in Pasadena. The class was smooth and well run, I'm not sure how many ended up being there, but it looked to be about 80 or so, yet everything ran without any hiccups.

Jon and his crew did a great job. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom