Hunter Safety Course. Just not for MARYLAND.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    It's not the classroom portion that screws everyone up, it's the field day portion because they wait til the last moment to sign up and find out that all the slots are full.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    It's not the classroom portion that screws everyone up, it's the field day portion because they wait til the last moment to sign up and find out that all the slots are full.

The problem is that not enough are offered. I find this perplexing simply because it seems like they all fill to capacity, so it can't be a problem with lack of participants.

The sad thing is, I passed all but 3 of the online tests the first try without even looking at the material. Most of what I missed were terminology.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The problem is that not enough are offered. I find this perplexing simply because it seems like they all fill to capacity, so it can't be a problem with lack of participants.

The sad thing is, I passed all but 3 of the online tests the first try without even looking at the material. Most of what I missed were terminology.

I would argue to the contrary.

I have scheduled Field Days throughout the year as a hunter safety instructor.

Everyone seems to procastinate until the last minute to check for availability, and then wonder why the classes are full.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

Everyone seems to procastinate until the last minute to check for availability, and then wonder why the classes are full.

In addition... we had 2 field days over the summer both are half full of students.

Per DNR.. still over couple thousands of brochures still out there.

danielw

Nov 4, 2008
    middle river md
    I had to take the course years ago so I could hunt on Aberdeen property.Now I need to get my son thru it.Don't they do it all in a 2 day course anymore.The course I took was in the late 70's

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I had to take the course years ago so I could hunt on Aberdeen property.Now I need to get my son thru it.Don't they do it all in a 2 day course anymore.The course I took was in the late 70's

Our class is two days. ;)

Depending how old is your son. He can take the online class and do a field day after.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD

The classes are full? So you just proved my point that there's not enough classes if they're all full.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Stupid question #6,549,274:

Do you have to shoot a shotgun to complete the hunter's safety class or can you limit yourself to rifles?

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    When did they add the field day course?

I took my HSC sometime around 1991 ish. Did not have the field day course then.

Speaking of which, need to find my HSC card.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Stupid question #6,549,274:

Do you have to shoot a shotgun to complete the hunter's safety class or can you limit yourself to rifles?

Depends on the range and what the DNR supplies the instructors. Our club can do either.. but we opted for 20ga shotguns. Easier to clean.. (whenever we get them that is).

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    IIRC you need a confirmation from the online bit that you've passed it in order to be able to sign up for the field day. My memory is a bit shoddy, though, so YMMV.

You are correct... after passing the online test.. you get a voucher for the field day.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    TxAggie...pass the course, become certified, and join the rest of us in volunteering. I'll sign you up for one field day per month. Would that be plenty of opportunities for potential hunters?

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom