• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Found it. Yours if you want it. I'm near Burtonsville.
    View attachment 402136

Thank you but I'd have to find a compatible upper with pic rails as well. I am looking.

I spent a lot of time finding the FAB defense mount to put a better scope on my PSL. I ended up putting a 1-10x Primary Arms M10 BDC scope to keep with the DMR theme. Haven't had a chance to try yet, but it might work for you as well as it is an SVD style mount.

How sturdy is the FAB defense mount? I'm curious if it sits centered on an actual SVD.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Just before the assault gun ban I purchased a PSL from Lou (RIP). I had a trigger job done an installed a Belorussian mount and 9 power scope. I must have fire a hundred hand loads with any satisfied results. My best results was with corrosive Yugo 180 FMJ but it was inadvisable to shoot heavy ball. I sold it for $1600 to an out of state purchaser.

Attachments

• P1010085 (2).jpg
      P1010085 (2).jpg
      199.2 KB · Views: 51
    • P1010039.JPG
      P1010039.JPG
      205.6 KB · Views: 49

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    'like'

Consider using loctite on your mount screws. Also try shooting withot the flash suppressor and see if that's any different. I'm not sure where to put loctite on the front sight screws but might be good there too so you don't have to use excessive torque.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Thank you but I'd have to find a compatible upper with pic rails as well. I am looking.

How sturdy is the FAB defense mount? I'm curious if it sits centered on an actual SVD.

Its pretty rock solid, and it sits just of center like the standard SVD/PSL scope mount does

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'd love to have it. I don't make it towards the direction too often, maybe once a month, I'll let you know.
    Well, if you ever get up this way, I have a box you can try, or once I get my range safety stamp for 2023, you can bring it up to our range ( near Emmitsburg ) and stretch it out to 400 yds if you want.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Thise two inch groups are not that bad coming out of that rifle. I would be curious to know if you could get tighter groups if you reloaded using different bullet weights. Maybe you could find something that the rifle likes.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Thise two inch groups are not that bad coming out of that rifle. I would be curious to know if you could get tighter groups if you reloaded using different bullet weights. Maybe you could find something that the rifle likes.

I did do another quick range session today. Groups were inconsistent but then again I'm using cheap ammo. I am really thinking about dumping the powder and reloading them.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I did do another quick range session today. Groups were inconsistent but then again I'm using cheap ammo. I am really thinking about dumping the powder and reloading them.
    I was surprised just how much cheap ammo threw off my point of aim. It was a 7.62x51 and the ammunition was a cheap milsurp brand from whatever country. 5" to 6" groups when they should have been 2.5". Good ammunition can make a good baseline.
    Find out what the gun is expected to shoot and what ammunition people are using for your type of rifle and start there.
    Inspect your muzzle, chamber and rifling. If the rifling is rough you might want to consider lapping the barrel. There are homegrown ways to to that. Hows the trigger and can you polish that? Most eastern bloc rifles weren't exactly Swiss time pieces.
    Hows your shooting ability?
    IMHO I think that you can tighten that shot group below 2" if not better.

Look through the history and reputation of that rifle. I found through the years that commie sniper rifles haven't been that accurate with me. You may have to expect a certain group size in the long run.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I was surprised just how much cheap ammo threw off my point of aim. It was a 7.62x51 and the ammunition was a cheap milsurp brand from whatever country. 5" to 6" groups when they should have been 2.5". Good ammunition can make a good baseline.
    Find out what the gun is expected to shoot and what ammunition people are using for your type of rifle and start there.
    Inspect your muzzle, chamber and rifling. If the rifling is rough you might want to consider lapping the barrel. There are homegrown ways to to that. Hows the trigger and can you polish that? Most eastern bloc rifles weren't exactly Swiss time pieces.
    Hows your shooting ability?
    IMHO I think that you can tighten that shot group below 2" if not better.

Look through the history and reputation of that rifle. I found through the years that commie sniper rifles haven't been that accurate with me. You may have to expect a certain group size in the long run.

The SVD with the 1:12 barrel twist is expected to shoot a 5-shot group within 1.04MOA from what I gather. I'm not the best shot and I think the optics are hampering me a bit.

However, I have also only been feeding it ammo of questionable consistency. I am going to be pulling bullets from some cartridges this week to see what I can do.

I think that 1.75MOA group I got with the cheap stuff got me hyped too early.

Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    So, is it a full 100% mechanical copy of a Soviet SVD, as in the OOB safety is on the rear of the carrier and there [normally would be] is an OOB trip sear on the front of the trigger group (ATF said this is an auto sear... because reasons), and does not have the NDM-86's OOB disconnector sear behind the hammer?
    I've never actually seen the full internals on one of these so am genuinely curious if any liberties were taken with the internals.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    So, is it a full 100% mechanical copy of a Soviet SVD, as in the OOB safety is on the rear of the carrier and there [normally would be] is an OOB trip sear on the front of the trigger group (ATF said this is an auto sear... because reasons), and does not have the NDM-86's OOB disconnector sear behind the hammer?
    I've never actually seen the full internals on one of these so am genuinely curious if any liberties were taken with the internals.

The rifle a copy of the latest Russian Type 3 SVD. The trigger mech does not have the safety sear, however, the bolt carrier has the larger tail preventing an OOB discharge, making the safety sear redundant.

If you were inclined you can drop in an SVD trigger mech with the safety sear, as the receiver is already cut to accept it.

Here you can see the tail above the hammer:
    CSuS7dn.jpg

If I push the bolt carrier out of battery it keeps the hammer from hitting the firing pin:
    oCcAB4m.jpg

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    The first ones that were built were supposedly left over SVD parts. There was worry they were going to get seized as they were basically russian guns. So yes, its supposed to be an exact copy. I have not seen inside the FEG either. I have a friend w/ a real Dragunov I could get pics of. Edit: I type slow and didn't see ST19s response above until I hit 'post'. Looks good!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Even if you pull the powder can you really trust the projectiles? IMO, You need to find some .311 Matchkings or something.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have some yellow tip heavy ball if you want to try. Surplus corrosive. But its prob not better than the PPU. I would think if the powder charges weren't consistent you'd just get vertical stringing from the velocity variation.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    For reference I bought a 150rd pack of PPU 182gr mil contract ammo:

For shits and giggles I just pulled 5 of the cartridges apart:

All the bullets mic'd at .311. Powder was some stick powder. Charges and bullet weights.
    1. 48.2gr and 183.2gr
    2. 47.9gr and 183.4gr
    3. 49.2gr and 182.5gr
    4. 49.4gr and 182.6gr
    5. 50.2gr and 182.6gr

I plan to get some new production PPU cases and bullets .311 in 150gr and 174gr to make pet loads.

Suffice to say my wallet is pretty damn light after this purchase. So I'm going to see how far I can get by making the powder charges consistent using CFE223 ball powder.

Some members have chimed in offering a box of match ammo to help me along. I really do appreciate it, but I will hold off until I get a new optic to make it easier on my eyes, I would want to do the ammo some sort of justice. :D Unless anyone here is a dead-eye at 100yds with a PSO-1 scope.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Stoppages should be unheard of in an SVD. I didn't have one in 20 years and all types of ammo through my NDM-86.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Stoppages should be unheard of in an SVD. I didn't have one in 20 years and all types of ammo through my NDM-86.
    I would attribute the stoppages to the Wolf ammo and the rifle needing to be broken in. I haven't gotten any stoppages after the first range session of 200 or so rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom