• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    Link to Humane Society page

Bill: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2014RS/bills/sb/sb0966f.pdf

I read through the linked article and the bill and it only leads to more questions and confusion:

It says that SB966 authorizes the use of "high-power rifles" I can't find that in the bill - Where is that specified?

It says "this bill would mean enormous suffering and loss of life" I can understand more deer dying, but the implication is that the high powered rifles that I can't find mentioned in the bill are more likely to cause suffering? I'm not following the reasoning.

The last thing is that it says "Allowing these rifles to be discharged in communities for three months every year is a real threat to public safety." 1. There has never been a non-hunter shot in MD
    2. Who is hunting in "communities"?
    3. There is a provision in the bill to terminate the program for public safety and welfare.

Seems like spin to create an emotional response.
    I didn't see where this bill had been signed, but if it did I guess this is a moot point...

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Link to Humane Society page

Bill: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2014RS/bills/sb/sb0966f.pdf

I read through the linked article and the bill and it only leads to more questions and confusion:

It says that SB966 authorizes the use of "high-power rifles" I can't find that in the bill - Where is that specified?

It says "this bill would mean enormous suffering and loss of life" I can understand more deer dying, but the implication is that the high powered rifles that I can't find mentioned in the bill are more likely to cause suffering? I'm not following the reasoning.

The last thing is that it says "Allowing these rifles to be discharged in communities for three months every year is a real threat to public safety." 1. There has never been a non-hunter shot in MD
    2. Who is hunting in "communities"?
    3. There is a provision in the bill to terminate the program for public safety and welfare.

Seems like spin to create an emotional response.
    I didn't see where this bill had been signed, but if it did I guess this is a moot point...

It's not on the schedule to be signed tomorrow but it may not be moot. More bills on tap for May 15th.

I'm not sure what you don't understand. The motive is to ban any expansion of hunting or killing deer. To achieve that end, facts are optional and misinformation is a prime technique in achieving any left wing agenda. Shotguns can now be deemed high power rifles threatening homes and schools.

It is a technique that works. The gullible and poorly educated public believe what they are told, whether it is about an obscure video sparking riots in Benghazi or you can keep the insurance you have. If a shotgun isn't really a high powered rifle, to quote the next president, "What does it matter?"

BTW, if you google the bill, there are those in the hunting community that are worried about the effect this bill will have on the deer population. I think a better plan would be to expand the regular hunting season. In parts of SC it starts Aug 15th and runs through Dec.

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    I'm not sure what you don't understand. The motive is to ban any expansion of hunting or killing deer. To achieve that end, facts are optional and misinformation is a prime technique in achieving any left wing agenda. Shotguns can now be deemed high power rifles threatening homes and schools.

It is a technique that works. The gullible and poorly educated public believe what they are told, whether it is about an obscure video sparking riots in Benghazi or you can keep the insurance you have. If a shotgun isn't really a high powered rifle, to quote the next president, "What does it matter?"

BTW, if you google the bill, there are those in the hunting community that are worried about the effect this bill will have on the deer population. I think a better plan would be to expand the regular hunting season. In parts of SC it starts Aug 15th and runs through Dec.
    I figured it was FUD but I don't know enough facts about hunting and dear seasons to know for sure.

It was shared with me by someone that I am sure accepts it as all true and the mean hunters are out to maim and destroy as much deer and people as possible.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012

I have absolutely no love lost for Humane a Society of the US. They are not the org most people think they are. Tons on the Internet about this, so I won't cloud the thread with it. However, just as a point of fact, item #1 in the OP isn't true. Some time ago, near Middletown, MD there was a round fired at a deer that penetrated the wall of a home & hit a baby in the arm. This is why southern Frederick county has shotgun-only deer season today.

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    I have absolutely no love lost for Humane a Society of the US. They are not the org most people think they are. Tons on the Internet about this, so I won't cloud the thread with it. However, just as a point of fact, item #1 in the OP isn't true. Some time ago, near Middletown, MD there was a round fired at a deer that penetrated the wall of a home & hit a baby in the arm. This is why southern Frederick county has shotgun-only deer season today.

Thanks for the clarification.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

This ^^^.
    I'm not sure if that was the reason for southern Fred Co going shotgun only for deer firearms season as it seems to me, IIRC, that division between northern and southern Fred Co existed before that incident. Time gets away from me occasionally so I'm not positive which came first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom