• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    Congrats Chili. As mentioned repeatedly on this thread, they have 30 days and they take full advantage. Knowing that doesn't prevent a person from getting twisted around about it though. Now you can get down to business!

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Thank you Inspector1489, I was twisted the moment I called the FFL to inquire if the auction house had brought my Glock to them about 2 weeks after the sale and was asked if I had my handgun license. I asked in total cluelessness, " what is that?" Then said, I have gun collector status, was that what she meant?

She said no. Then proceeded to make me even more irked at our assinine state as she told me on 10/1/13 Mr. O'not president material trashed my 2A rights and now force me to get the stupid HQL just to bring home any guns I have always been legal to do in the days prior to that awful Oct day.

jwill680

May 3, 2016
    First time post.
    Went for my fingerprints on May 16th active as of June 6th. Looking forward to getting some new pistols. Time for a change. Selling off my Ruger 32 h&r and my Glock 19. Looking to grab a Cimarron Lightning and SIG P320. That was the whole reason behind finally gong after getting the HQL. I'll update when I get my card.

Slurms

Jun 8, 2016
    Charles County
    Submitted 5/8, active today (5/31).

Also, I did my prints BEFORE taking the HQL class. Livescan prints were done at St. Charles mall, at CCSO located there. Very easy process, however they knew why I was there, yet told me AFTER the prints are only available at MSP for 72hrs (3 days) after processing.

I called the MSP office about it, and they were very helpful and willing to answer my questions. Anyway, according to MSP, prints remain in the system for up to 30 days.

It was my mistake to get printed b4 the class, thankfully it worked out.

I just did the exact same thing. I didn't realize there was a 72-hr window for applying after being fingerprinted. My fault I guess, but I think that time limit could be more explicitly stated on the various websites and how-to guides for this process.

I got printed on 6/6 at St. Charles mall CCSO and my HQL class is on 6/13. As soon as I take the class I'm submitting my application. I hope it works out, or I will need to spend more time and money getting re-printed and re-applying :mad54:

Your story gives me hope, and I have seen a few other posts where people have said the actual time limit is 30 days, so who knows :fingerscrossed:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• hql.JPG
      hql.JPG
      147 KB · Views: 353

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Sure. The 72 hour rule is quoted by some Livescan vendors as a requirement for the HQL.

Clearly according to MSP it is not.

I know people who even got W&C permits who sent their apps in past 72 hours and were approved.

Slurms

Jun 8, 2016
    Charles County
    Thanks swinokur, that's good to know. The woman who took my fingerprints at the LiveScan place handed me my forms at the end and told me it was very important that I submit my application within 72 hours. I was surprised to hear that and I told her that I hadn't even taken the HQL class yet, that I was scheduled for the class the following week. She literally told me "well you just wasted fifty dollars."

So I went home and furiously searched out any and all info about an application timeframe, which admittedly I should have done beforehand...lesson learned.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'd definitely get them in before 30 days expire but the 72 hour thing is in my opinion an urban myth. At least if you believe the MSP web page.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    Sure. The 72 hour rule is quoted by some Livescan vendors as a requirement for the HQL.

Clearly according to MSP it is not.

I know people who even got W&C permits who sent their apps in past 72 hours and were approved.

I'm one of them. I initially read about the 72 hour requirement, but completely forgot about it as I went through the 836 other hurdles they put up. I think I submitted my W&C application over a month after I got my prints done, but they accepted them.

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    Thanks swinokur, that's good to know. The woman who took my fingerprints at the LiveScan place handed me my forms at the end and told me it was very important that I submit my application within 72 hours. I was surprised to hear that and I told her that I hadn't even taken the HQL class yet, that I was scheduled for the class the following week. She literally told me "well you just wasted fifty dollars."

So I went home and furiously searched out any and all info about an application timeframe, which admittedly I should have done beforehand...lesson learned.
    Exactly my experience Slurms. They need to get their sh!t straight. You'll be fine. Make sure you use Internet Explorer for your application. If you use Windows 10 however, there may be a compatibility issue that won't let you into the prerequisite page.
    Where are you taking your class? I went to MSAR. Interesting evening, and a well attended class. More women than men.

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Well, Saturday I managed to finally go visit my FFL at Brownstone Trading outside of Westminster. Filled out half a dozen forms, had a nice chat, and left still empty handed for another week.
    Only difference from other years was I had a certain card with a certain number on it that had to go on one of those forms that now gets to go somewhere that will say somehow in a week's time that I can go there again and leave NOT empty handed the next time.

Slurms

Jun 8, 2016
    Charles County
    Exactly my experience Slurms. They need to get their sh!t straight. You'll be fine. Make sure you use Internet Explorer for your application. If you use Windows 10 however, there may be a compatibility issue that won't let you into the prerequisite page.
    Where are you taking your class? I went to MSAR. Interesting evening, and a well attended class. More women than men.

I took the class through MD Precision Shooter, found out about them on Groupon. They had the class at the Charles County public library (behind the St. Charles town center mall), and then we went over to Myrtle Grove for the live fire portion. It was good, instructor was good, only 5 people in the class. I submitted my application right after I got home from the class, so now it's time to play the waiting game and see what happens.

Edit: by the way, I also had problems with the "prerequisite" page loading. I got it working by enabling Compatibility View in IE, as described by someone in this thread: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=171247

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom