• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    It's amazing me, that after all this time, any member here would even have to ask that.

:sad20:

It was asked. Answer given.

We shouldn't even need a permit for our rights, but since this state says we do, we have a process with citizen oversight. SB1000 would take that away. A right denied is a right lost.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015

We shouldn't even need a permit for our rights, but since this state says we do, we have a process with citizen oversight. SB1000 would take that away. A right denied is a right lost.

I know. My comment wasn't directed at you. And I agree about permits. So many states going constitutional carry and yet, here we are.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Constitutional carry is not just for criminals any more.

Honestly, this map is the only testimony I will send. It says it all. MD will be blue very soon. Supreme Court likes to deal with edges cases, and thats us.

Note that the Supreme Court has requested a response in Rogers v Grewal, NJ carry case, another edge case. Now that Kavanaugh is seated, its only a matter of time.

2560px-Concealed_carry_across_USA_by_county.svg.png

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I know. My comment wasn't directed at you. And I agree about permits. So many states going constitutional carry and yet, here we are.

Yep, I know you weren't directing it at me and I not at you. I was writing for the benefit of the peanut gallery. Here we are. Maryland will be shall issue inside of 10 years and hopefully much less.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    1 PM HJC hearing on the HPRB repeal bill SB 1000 now “postponed until 2 PM.”

Updates to follow.

Second pic: HJC Bill status board; bottom line shows SB 1000 as “pending.”

(For info on watching the live stream of this hearing today at 2PM go to post #438.)

Attachments

• D01A4A09-EE49-4149-9CC9-1AEBCE980D1C.jpg
      D01A4A09-EE49-4149-9CC9-1AEBCE980D1C.jpg
      101.6 KB · Views: 212
    • 4D7C62BF-F513-481C-9B8E-D87E2E534CA1.jpg
      4D7C62BF-F513-481C-9B8E-D87E2E534CA1.jpg
      70.4 KB · Views: 209

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Just a note to all - hearings on crossed-over bills are limited to the Bill Sponsor unless the Chair of the committee advises otherwise. So, this will likely be a short hearing with Senator Beidle presenting the bill.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Just a note to all - hearings on crossed-over bills are limited to the Bill Sponsor unless the Chair of the committee advises otherwise. So, this will likely be a short hearing with Senator Beidle presenting the bill.

She is the one who stood up and lied to the entire Senate on the day they passed the third reader. Nice piece of work she is.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    From a different thread:

SB1000 would eliminate the only citizen check (HBRP) on the power of the state, in this case the Maryland State Police, to deny a person's carry permit application. It replaces this with a court process that is very expensive and likely stacked against the person seeking the permit. In essence, if you like tyranny, you will like SB1000. That is why you should oppose it.

That is not the correct answer though. The MSP gets an appeal of right from the HPRB to the OAH. MSP and the AG have a lot more money than individuals do, so pretty much everything is getting appealed by MSP to OAH, as I understand it. Anybody have any statistics of what happens when a person wins against MSP at the HPRB level. What percentage of those MSP reversals by HPRB are appealed to OAH? I think that is the statistic that is really the answer to all of this.

I have audited OAH as an auditor of the Office of Legislative Audits and I have represented clients in front of judges from the OAH. Seems like a pretty fair, cheap, and expeditious process. Next appeal is to the Circuit Court. Granted, a person can retain counsel at any point of the process right now. HPRB, OAH, or Circuit Court.

Who here has received a MSP reversal by HPRB over the past year and MSP did not appeal it to OAH? Anybody?

Anybody have any data?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    That is not the correct answer though. The MSP gets an appeal of right from the HPRB to the OAH. MSP and the AG have a lot more money than individuals do, so pretty much everything is getting appealed by MSP to OAH, as I understand it. Anybody have any statistics of what happens when a person wins against MSP at the HPRB level. What percentage of those MSP reversals by HPRB are appealed to OAH? I think that is the statistic that is really the answer to all of this.

I have audited OAH as an auditor of the Office of Legislative Audits and I have represented clients in front of judges from the OAH. Seems like a pretty fair, cheap, and expeditious process. Next appeal is to the Circuit Court. Granted, a person can retain counsel at any point of the process right now. HPRB, OAH, or Circuit Court.

Who here has received a MSP reversal by HPRB over the past year and MSP did not appeal it to OAH? Anybody?

Anybody have any data?

The ability for either party to appeal to the OAH didn't come to be until 10/1/18. First meeting of the HPRB after that was 10/2/18 with the decision letters having 60 days to be produced after that. MSP had 30 days to appeal.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    That is not the correct answer though.

Yes, sir, it is. If you like tyranny, you'll like SB1000. Otherwise, you should oppose it. The court that will replace it is not politically independent. There is no jury trial. It is part of the government. The HPRB is as close to politically independent as is feasible - not a jury but it's better than a judge deciding.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Yes, sir, it is. If you like tyranny, you'll like SB1000. Otherwise, you should oppose it. The court that will replace it is not politically independent. There is no jury trial. It is part of the government. The HPRB is as close to politically independent as is feasible - not a jury but it's better than a judge deciding.

Nah. 'em administrative hearing occifers are all fair-minded, objective, firearm-knowledgable folks with no predisposition to find in favor of the MSP.

And never mind the motivations of the bill's sponsors (who would rather trust the "professional" judgement of the Maryland State Police than some hack board of civilians). Reducing the number of permits and adding ambiguous and nonsensical restrictions do not an infringement make.

You're just being paranoid. The government is here to help us.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I may not have heard this correctly, feel free to correct me, but Delegate Beidle just stated that of the 22 cases that have been referred to the OAH since October, the HPRB decisions were all overturned in favor of the MSP.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    I may not have heard this correctly, feel free to correct me, but Delegate Beidle just stated that of the 22 cases that have been referred to the OAH since October, the HPRB decisions were all overturned in favor of the MSP.

Color me shocked.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Six out of 22. But then she is a known liar so....

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Heard the Speaker is in the hospital and may miss the rest of the session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom