• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jindodog

Sep 29, 2007
    Chester
    I passed on this Finn up in Gettysburg two weeks ago and was kicking myself ever since. Thought if I ever saw it again it would be at another gunshow in Pa... Lo and behold it tracked me down at HoCo! It was priced pretty good already but I got to talking with the guy and he knocked off $30 more. I almost ripped my back pocket off getting my wallet out. This finally fills a hole in my post war M-39 collection. The bore has deep sharp lands with some debris which should clean right out. This is the only no name no date
    M39 I have ever seen in the wild. (Sorry, for the big pictures, I haven't tried to post pictures here before. I will get it right next time.)

Last edited:

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    that is one fine looking fin and should make a great shooter.
    congrats.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Haven't seen a no-no Fin 39 before. Just out of curiosity, have you pulled the stock and guard off to see if there are any other markings on the barrel elsewhere? If not, might be interesting to do so.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Fantastic M39! I've only seen one before-on Gunbroker- for a ridiculous price. It was floating around for a month or two and never sold.
    That rifle is definitely something to keep ;)

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Often the Belgian barreled M39s are not maker marked, but they usually have a B on the barrel. If you were looking for an old warhorse then that's not it, but if you were after a super accurate shooter with very little wear, then you hit the bullseye.

jindodog

Sep 29, 2007
    Chester
    Haven't seen a no-no Fin 39 before. Just out of curiosity, have you pulled the stock and guard off to see if there are any other markings on the barrel elsewhere? If not, might be interesting to do so.
    I will look tomorrow and post what I find.:)

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Excellent find! Can't remember the last time I saw one of these.
    For some reason I've never been attracted to post-war M39s but this is such a pretty example I now see that I should've added one to the collection when they were inexpensive (no so anymore). For years I passed on post war No4 MKII and MK1/2, Mk1/3 Enfields and only later came around to how awesome they were. Live and learn!

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    Yep, bought my M39 from Shooters Discount for $50. He used to get some pretty nice ones. I did find a 28 at the Harrisburg show for $120 a year or so ago. It's well used, as most are. It has a walnut butt stock with arctic beech fore end. Thought that was a pretty good price.
    I used to pick up any nice Enfield I could find if the price was ok. Remember the No4 Mk2's with matching bayonets? Some of those were pretty nice condition. I liked the Enfield rifles and bought quite a few. There aren't many good ones around and I don't think the average No4 is worth $400.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I was lucky enough to find a No4 MKII at a HC show a couple of yrs ago w. bayonet (1 digit off on the SN) for $200. Seller still had the original Century shipping box marked "Irish Enfield".
    Do remember getting a very nice Sako M39 from Lou and then years later I traded a National Ord. 1903A3 to a buddy for his M39 B barrel that he also got from Lou. At that time I think Lou was selling them for around $125.
    One problem I've been having is keeping up with the new market prices after many years of purchasing a much lower avg. prices. I find myself hesitant to pull the trigger on "common" items at the much higher prices of today. It has to be something that I really want or fills that empty niche in the collection before I'm comfortable spending beyond what my head tells me is fair market value.

jindodog

Sep 29, 2007
    Chester
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I've been in sort of a Mosin dry spell and seeing some of the recent posts of neat finds by you guys must have jumped started my mojo a little bit. I took it apart today and there are no stampings on the barrel other than the serial # on top and the import mark. Receiver is 1895 Izhevsk.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    I saw you carrying it around Saturday. I was going to ask you about it. I could see it was purchase since it had no wire tie. I figured I'd just be bugging you or you'd think I wanted to buy it off you. Nice rifle.

jindodog

Sep 29, 2007
    Chester
    I saw you carrying it around Saturday. I was going to ask you about it. I could see it was purchase since it had no wire tie. I figured I'd just be bugging you or you'd think I wanted to buy it off you. Nice rifle.
    You should have said something, heck that's half the reason I go to gun shows is to shoot the breeze and talk gun stuff. I go up to people all the time if they're carrying a gun that interests me, its all part of the hobby.:)

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    You should have said something, heck that's half the reason I go to gun shows is to shoot the breeze and talk gun stuff. I go up to people all the time if they're carrying a gun that interests me, its all part of the hobby.:)

Ok, I like talking to fellow collectors too. Just don't want to bother anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom