How was the ammo situation changed your shooting habits?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C45P312

Jan 17, 2012
    Virginia
    With the current climate in regards to ammo, how has this change the way you go out to shoot both recreationally or for training purposes?

For me, I still hit up the range once every two weeks and shoot between 200-400rds between my carbine and my pistol. Some times I go out and just shoot for fun or plink away. Now I find myself making every round count and continuing practicing certain parts of my shooting like accuracy, speed, barricades, shooting on the move, etc. I rarely join my friends just to go shooting anymore because I know it will lead to just wasting ammo.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Prior to going plinking last week, I hadn't been since end of February. And even then it was almost all .22LR and only a bit of 9mm. I'm just loath to blow through ammo that's gonna cost 50+ cents a round to replace (.223) until prices come back down.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    My wife and I go to the range less often and take our time, bringing only a very limited quantity of ammo so we're not tempted to shoot too much. Basically one box per firearm that we bring for each of us.

When I've only got 50 rounds of 9mm to shoot, I focus even harder on my technique and try to make every shot count, more so than when I bring 200-300 rounds with me like I used to. I actually think it's made me a better shot, so there's a bit of silver lining for ya.

onthefarm

Jan 15, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I shoot black powder a lot more than I used to. I like to keep a minimum stock, and I don't like shooting ammo that I have a hard time replacing

Sent from mobile......

Geofloors

Apr 5, 2013
    Owings Mills
    I just shoot a few rounds then put the guns away. As I get some extra ammo I shoot a few more rounds. Not as fun as it was before the current ammo situation.

George

alpine44

Feb 5, 2010
    I am actually shooting more due to new training opportunities. But I got into boolit casting, spend more time in my reloading den and got an AR15 barrel in 5.45x39mm (still $0.20/rd locally).

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    I shoot about the same. The shortage hasn't affected me yet, as I was prepared and had plenty before the crisis. I have even sold some ammo on gunbroker because the prices just got too ridiculous to pass up. I should be able to ride this one out.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I shoot lots more BP! Also, I've been reloading as of late and that is a nice slow pace to develop loads. I just don't burn through .22 like I used to.

Maverick1309

May 30, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I only go half as much as I used to. But when I do go it's pretty fast, going through one box rather than a few hundred rounds compared to before. Although, I do try to spend a little more time on each shot and give a little more attention to my limited ammo. To echo what J-Dog said, I do think that shooting fewer rounds and spending more time on technique has helped a bit.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Pay way more attention to my brass than I did in the past.

Conserve a little ammo/shoot a little less than before when I do head to the range.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I shoot less than I normally would and skip many of the club shoots I attended in the past.

When I do shoot, it is mostly .22 (pistol and rifle) and the occassional box of 9mm or .45 just to keep in practice.

I am giving serious consideration to learning how to reload as I have been picking up spent brass (9mm, .38 Special, .45).

C45P312

Jan 17, 2012
    Virginia
    I am giving serious consideration to learning how to reload as I have been picking up spent brass (9mm, .38 Special, .45).
    Yeah, I've reloaded on a single stage in the past but sold that setup last year. Was hoping to be in a house by now with a nice progressive setup, but had to push that house purchase back another yet. really considering getting a reloading setup again but with the last of primers and powder, i dont' know.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I shoot a little less ammo each time I visit a range but I still try to shoot at least once per week. Biggest change is I now pick up all of my brass!

gasman

Oct 8, 2007
    Baltimore City
    I do a lot more dry fire practice. When I do shoot, I try to practice the things I'm not so good at rather than practice the things I'm already good at.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Even since before the panic , I can't remember when I last went to a range ( as opposed to occasional .22 at home ) simply for me to shoot. Every time has been for helping out someone else. Either introducing new shooters , or tutoring coworkers.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ***I've been shooting more recently due to training opportunities to help improve my skills with professional help (shooting help, not mental help..). I've been lucky enough to have had plenty of ammo hoarded as well as being able to find enough online with the help of gunbot, etc... Ammo is more expensive now but prices do seem to be coming down a bit recently.

I shoot 1-2x per week now, mostly 9mm but I have been using some of the revolvers to practice for our IWLA action shoot coming up.

I pick up all of my brass now and send it to companies that sell reloaded ammo for a bit of discount on my future orders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom