• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Thanks for being so accomadating. I know why I need an HQL. I was asking a question about training requirements and what needs to be submitted when applying. Since this thread is in the training and safety forum and titled "How to report HQL training" I am not sure how it is not relevent??, but thanks anyway.

It is answers like yours that many of us get in gun shops and then come here and talk about the guy at the gun shop and how crappy we were treated at that gunshop.

Which one do you work at?

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I answered your question completely, so that others can benefit from the exchange as well. This isn't only about you, it's a place where people share knowledge and experience.

While the forum may be titled Training and Safety, the thread is titled "How to report HQL training". Since your question is not relevant to the thread topic, it would be more appropriate for you to start a new thread in a more relevant forum.

Finally, I don't work in any gun shop. I volunteer my time as a Certified NRA Instructor, Maryland Certified Qualified Instructor, and Utah Certified Concealed Firearms Instructor for the benefit of the sport, and the community.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Dukes Defense

Oct 2, 2012
    Aak any two Licensing Division Officers and you will get two different answers.

There are two types of HQL Instructors; Registered and Certified.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructors who apply and are approved will become Registered HQL Instructors and receive a certificate.

MPCTC and MSP Qualified Handgun Instructors who apply and are approved will become Certified HQL Instructors.

AFAIK, the MSP Certified QHI Program (with 212- cards) will continue for numerous reasons. My students have received MSP Certified QHI cards as late as yesterday.

There is absolutely no requirement to submit a lesson plan to MSP. If you don't know what to teach, teach NRA First steps and bring in an attorney for the law requirement.

They are still having difficulty maintaining a simple list of approved instructors.

The ability for instructors to enter class completion info online vy MyLicense is not available yet.

+1 I spent Friday afternoon with MSP trying to work out what an instructor needs to do on MyLicense to be able to confirm a students status. They could see that I had an account in place and that all my instructor documentation looked good from their point of view, but I had zero permissions on my account to submit or approve the students I have already taught.

What I thought and understood the process was for instructors was wrong or was changed because of the software implementation. I'm sure what I was told Friday will change again on Monday once I have an account which works. What I hope to learn and find out on Friday is exactly what is the process for both the applicant and the instructor.

I hope they also clarify the difference between the two version of Maryland Handgun Instructors. While I have qualified for both, they keep changing the terms. Friday I was told that instructors will be identified as "Certified" and "Licensed" HQIC-201x-xxxx and HQIL-201x-xxxx. Does this mean that long term there will be a tiered instructor system? I still have many more questions that the MSP, at this time, does not have answers for yet.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    Kevin,

I had about a 15 minute conversation with Cpl Quirk, who apparently is in charge of the QHI program. He told me that the card we now possess with the 212-xxxx number will no longer be used. We will be issued a paper certificate with our credentials listed, ie., Certified and/or Registered and that will be our new "license".

Regarding the QHIC vs. QHIL, mine changed on the eMDSP website literally overnight. I was "C" and am now "L". Bottom line, he told me to go ahead with training for guards and QHL and the reporting aspect will be forthcoming. Just keep good records.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I answered your question completely, so that others can benefit from the exchange as well. This isn't only about you, it's a place where people share knowledge and experience.

While the forum may be titled Training and Safety, the thread is titled "How to report HQL training". Since your question is not relevant to the thread topic, it would be more appropriate for you to start a new thread in a more relevant forum.

Finally, I don't work in any gun shop. I volunteer my time as a Certified NRA Instructor, Maryland Certified Qualified Instructor, and Utah Certified Concealed Firearms Instructor for the benefit of the sport, and the community.

Thanks.
    Never tried to make anything just about me. I simply asked a question pertaining to the HQL. If it bothered you to answer than you should not have. I got a little 411 on you so in the future please feel free to refrain from answering or commenting on any of my posts. I joined this forum for the topics of discussion and hopefully to get some information from time to time from people that know more about firearms than I do, but not to be called down by those that just think they know everything and are bothered by those who don't.

Thanks to those that actually answered my question in an informative and friendly manner.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    The most important thing, as Bryan (parbreak) pointed out, is to keep accurate records of the HQL graduates.

It would have been quite beneficial if the MSP had set up a template for standardized certificates and reporting. The best we can do is protect ourselves but keeping detailed records of those HQL certificates we issue. I am sure audits, both formal and informal, will become a reality in the near future.

Dukes Defense

Oct 2, 2012
    Kevin,

I had about a 15 minute conversation with Cpl Quirk, who apparently is in charge of the QHI program. He told me that the card we now possess with the 212-xxxx number will no longer be used. We will be issued a paper certificate with our credentials listed, ie., Certified and/or Registered and that will be our new "license".

Regarding the QHIC vs. QHIL, mine changed on the eMDSP website literally overnight. I was "C" and am now "L". Bottom line, he told me to go ahead with training for guards and QHL and the reporting aspect will be forthcoming. Just keep good records.

Thanks. I'll be talking with Cpl Quirk on Monday. As it seems he is the one person who knows the end-to-end process and will need to be the one to fix my account. I feel bad for the officers, they like us are stuck with a bad law for the short term and no good fixes in sight.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Kevin,

Have you made any progress with MSP in determining how to report training so people can apply for and receive a HQL so they can buy a regulated handgun?

I know the MSP voice mail system was down all morning - so you couldn’t reach anyone, and the MSP website has also been offline at various times today.

MoM concocted a dastardly plan, didn’t he?

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    Kevin,

Have you made any progress with MSP in determining how to report training so people can apply for and receive a HQL so they can buy a regulated handgun?

I know the MSP voice mail system was down all morning - so you couldn’t reach anyone, and the MSP website has also been offline at various times today.

+1

Dukes Defense

Oct 2, 2012
    Kevin,

Sorry, No I haven't been able to get ahold of anyone the last two days. Although My online account was updated on Monday and now shows that I have my QHIL number and Jenny's account has been updated to reflect her QHIC number. But the menu options that are supposed to exist to let us check off or acknowledge a student we have taught does not exist. I've been giving my students my QHIL number and a certificate which hopefully they can upload. It would be nice to receive accurate information from the MSP to let all of us know what is going on so we can help them communicate with their customers aka the people that pay all the taxes for all the salaries and services provided by the state.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I was able to talk to someone. They allege that the process works thusly;

A student applies for a HQL via the mdsp.org emdsp system, using the revised ID number of the Licensed (formerly Registered) Qualified Handgun Instructor.

Then, when/if the instructor logs into the mdsp.org emdsp portal, there is supposed to be a pop-up window, prompting the QHI to confirm the students course completion.

I have yet to see the pop-up, but who knows.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    Well this is confusing a usual. I was told by Cpl. Quirk that MSP would contact the instructor to verify the student attended the class.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    I received an email from the MSP stating they would contact the instructor by email to verify that the individual took the class. Of course, things keep changing, so stay tuned. :innocent0

Same thing I was told. So we shall see.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    The instructions detailed in my post are supposed to be included on the QHI packages going out in the mail today.

Check your mailboxes.

Dukes Defense

Oct 2, 2012
    My MSP account has been updated again and I have the Instructor Verification option on my menu. But so far, no students information has popped up to verify.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Gentlemen, forgive me if this question is a duplicate, and if so, if you can help direct me to the correct thread, I'd be grateful. I'm a newly approved Qualified Handgun Instructor, and have been trying to follow along with this discussion to learn from your experiences on confirming student HQL's.

Cpl Quirk mentioned in an email last week that I would receive an email with my certificate (in the process of having that changed to a license) along with a letter explaining the details of the program. I'm now listed on the latest instructors listing, but I've not yet received an email with any details. I've been able to find my way around the website to a degree, I'd like to locate the section of the website being discussed in this thread, but I've found nothing that resembles any sort of instructors portal where students can be reported, confirmed, or any other sort of thing.

Thanks for whatever information you can share, even if it's to a thread where this information has previously been shared.

Last edited:

Dukes Defense

Oct 2, 2012
    The option to verify the student completion is supposed to be in the Menu on the left hand side of your screen after you login to the MyLicense portal. However, when I checked in this morning that option was no longer available for me (it was there last week). I have yet to receive any emails or letters from the MSP with any information regarding the roll out. Except for the HQL and "wear and carry" live fire range requirements. I've had several reporters call to ask about the roll out, but have yet to see any news reports on it in the media.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom