• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DundalkSmithy

May 12, 2009
    Dundalk, MD
    I don't know if anyone has the same issues as I do with storing some C&R guns but sometimes mine tend to start to rust a bit. I store all my long guns with a coating of RemOil and in a gun sock. My hand gun I store also with a coating of RemOil and wrapped in a hand towel or old shirt. Any and all tips are greatly appreciated!

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    I store mine the same as you. No problems with rust, though. Could the humidity be too high? Maybe run a dehumidfier.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Large and rapid changes in temperature will cause condensation and rust. A "GoldenRod" helps stabilize temperatures and reduces condensation.

The gun sock and towel wraps are probably working against you too, by holding moisture against the firearm.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Large and rapid changes in temperature will cause condensation and rust. A "GoldenRod" helps stabilize temperatures and reduces condensation.

The gun sock and towel wraps are probably working against you too, by holding moisture against the firearm.

A flower? Goldenrod? Is that what you mean?

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    There is a great product called cosmoline that conserves your guns perfectly. Getting it off is unfortunately really hard.
    What do you want to do exactly? Store the guns for an extended amount of time without handling them or do you want to go play with them now and then?

If you handle them regularly - make sure you wipe fingerprints before you put them away. Otherwise I always recommend an oil with a minimal wax content like Ballistol.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    RIG is the classic product for long term storage. Easier to remove than cosmoline, but still not 'easy'.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    I store mine against my shoulder at the range atleast every three months. They seem to stay clean that way.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Does anyone know what the recommended max. relative humidity is, for storing guns?

My RH has been reading around 67% - 70% over the past few weeks. I don't keep dessicant or a drying rod in my safe, so I'm sure over the long term, the RH in there is the same as outside the safe.

My A/C is apparently not doing a good job of keeping the RH low, so I've been thinking about getting a dehumidifier for the summer months (not to mention, sleeping has been uncomfortable lately with the RH that high.)

mudd4life88

Mar 18, 2009
    Essex, MD
    I use to have the same problem. I keep my safe in the basement at my father's and it can get a little damp down there. My uncle gave me an idea that has worked perfectly and I have had no rust problems since. I take those little silica packs that come in everything and put them in the safe. Every time I get something that has them in it I throw them in the safe. I have had no rusting issues since and it's free.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I too toss the little "Don't Eat Me" packs of silica gel that come in all sorts of items into the corners of my safe. They're free (well...I paid for whatever they came in) and it seems they do no harm.

I've not had a problem with too much humidity, but thinking ahead - you can get cartons of dessicant granules many places. Filling an old sock with them and adding that to my safe kinda makes sense. Anyone done that? (Of course I meant a clean old sock and not one that's been captured in a posted pic of guns :innocent0).

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    The gun sock is a disaster.
    Unless you have a air tight container with the "golden rod" inside you want the air to circulate around the weapon.
    Just leave a coating of standard CLP on the weapon.
    Put it in a container where the air can circulate around it but not allow room dust to settle on it.
    It is best if the room is air conditioned in the summer and heated in the winter.
    The CLP should keep it fine for a year + or so unless you live by the ocean.
    Then just put a fresh CLP soaked patch down the bore and another light coat on all the metal parts.
    Good for another year + :thumbsup:

Short Ride

Dec 31, 2008
    Dundalk. MD
    I think I want to try those silica packs but lately I havent been seeing them in anything I order or buy so I cant really get a good collection of em

2A forever

Oct 25, 2008
    Sykesville,Carroll Cty.
    The gun socks suck and the foam lined hard cases are not meant for long term storage either , as they wick moisture against your firearm.

Keep them free standing , with a lite coat of oil and you should be good.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I store mine in a reasonably dry environment with a light coat of hoppes oil, never had a rust issue as long as I didnt forget, even keeps existing pitting fairly in check.

Rem oil is to light, the hoppes is a little heavier.

I ususally dont use a gunsock and just let them breath.

For long term (mothballed guns) I will often use Rig.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.

Attachments

• Rust_Test_LongTerm_640.jpg
      Rust_Test_LongTerm_640.jpg
      88.4 KB · Views: 108

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members