• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    I just inherited a Remington Speedmaster 522(circa 1964). I spent 8 hours over 2 days cleaning this beauty. I mostly dissassembled the trigger mechanism(sounded like it had been used as a shovel at the beach) and everything else I could unscrew or pop out. It had some jamming issues prior and now i know why. none now. I believe it had never been broken down and cleaned..only bristles and swabs for 50 years. I had to use steel picks to scrap off the caked on grease(yes I said grease) packed with gun powder and grit from who knows what.

**Don't wait 50 years between cleanings!!

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    I've been hanging out with Ed to long. I clean it when it's dirty. If it's a home defense gun I always make sure I do not clean it before putting it away. If anything is going to go wrong, it'll be when you take it apart to clean it. I want to be sure it works.

^^^^^ This. Other than a cursory wipe of the action most of my guns get cleaned every 300-500 rounds. .22's get cleaned when they FTF or FTE. Defense guns get cleaned, taken to the range for practice and put away lightly fouled.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Please enlighten us on which firearms benefit in accuracy by NOT keeping it clean and maintained?

White Oak Precision AR-15 National Match service rifle, same for my Bushmaster National Match. Both take 10 or more shots to settle down from a clean bore but then they're good for 300-500 rounds before accuracy falls off. Smith-Corona 03A3 also likes to have a slightly fouled bore for best accuracy. Same with Rem 700 in .308, Springfield 87A, 10/22, M38 Swedish Mauser and 1911A1. My 870 doesn't care how dirty it is but most pump shotguns don't, as long they're lubed and there isn't crap built up in the action they still break birds just fine. The only gun I clean every time it gets shot is a Mauser 71/84 BP cartridge rifle and that's because I actually load BP cartridges.

Tacticalglobe

III %er
    Mar 11, 2012
    Nottingham, MD
    When it stops shooting. :lol2:

A buddy of mine has twins that shoot 22LR and are state and national champions.
    They do not clean their rifles until they stop cycling correctly. 10/22's

I know I know. The dirtiest ammo out there too LOL

I have also heard this from people training for Olympic shooting.

I don't clean my 22's at all these days.
    They run great, dead on to boot.
    I keep all the others cleaner.

I've been shooting 32 years. I'm no nOOb.

I use to clean them everytime I shot, which was almost every day. I wipe them down now, run a snake through the barrell. Until 6-8 months than a total disasemble and cleaning. Thats just the ones I have a chance to shoot.

PS. The Mosin MUST be cleaned every time if you're shooting the old ammo.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    When it stops shooting. :lol2:

A buddy of mine has twins that shoot 22LR and are state and national champions.
    They do not clean their rifles until they stop cycling correctly. 10/22's

I know I know. The dirtiest ammo out there too LOL

I have also heard this from people training for Olympic shooting.

I don't clean my 22's at all these days.
    They run great, dead on to boot.
    I keep all the others cleaner.

I've been shooting 32 years. I'm no nOOb.

I use to clean them everytime I shot, which was almost every day. I wipe them down now, run a snake through the barrell. Until 6-8 months than a total disasemble and cleaning. Thats just the ones I have a chance to shoot.

PS. The Mosin MUST be cleaned every time if you're shooting the old ammo.

there is some truth to those.. 22lr shoots better when the barrel are dirty.. lol

i hardly clean the barrel.. i just brush the chamber for built up gunk and the action.. :innocent0

Tacticalglobe

III %er
    Mar 11, 2012
    Nottingham, MD
    there is some truth to those.. 22lr shoots better when the barrel are dirty.. lol

i hardly clean the barrel.. i just brush the chamber for built up gunk and the action.. :innocent0

Some of the reason for the 22's to shoot better is the way some people clean the 22 barrell.
    They are very soft and if you run a harsh brush down the pipe it damages the barrell.
    So, after shooting and filling the scratches with copper and carbon it will will shoot better. :beer:

lefever2

Status Unknown
    Jun 19, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Lots of opinions. What I have seen is that metal rods can damage the bore. There are ones available that are coated to protect the barrel but they are pricey. Gun Nuts, Field and Stream. I also just read an article about barrel break-in procedures recommended by some. Generally, it will reduce the life of your barrel so barrel makers love it. Again, no proof that it makes any difference on accuracy. What is fairly well agreed on is that the first shot after cleaning the barrel will be off a bit.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When I shot on my college rifle team, the .22 target rifles were cleaned once a year. At the end of the season.

I clean when they need it. And if you use quality lubes, you don't need to worry about gumming up. Some of my pistols have not been fired in 17 years. NO PROBLEMS, just load and go.

I wipe down external surfaces with a cleaning cloth at the end of each session. That is all.

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    Obviously you're talking about someone else's wife cleaning your gun. Because I know from my friends (and soon to be me) a married man is lucky if he gets his gun cleaned once a month by HIS wife...

Sent from a knocked over Porta-Jon using Crapa-talk

humph! if you r married and get cleaned once a month YOU are not doing something right!!!!! ;);););)

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    As a competition shooter I seldom clean my rifles and pistols, rimfire or not. Sometimes it depends on what the next event is. Maybe once a year I do a thorough cleaning.

Intercooler

Jun 10, 2012
    .22LR is pretty dirty. I think to keep them operating at top level you should clean them every 1-2 visits depending on round count.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    .22LR is pretty dirty. I think to keep them operating at top level you should clean them every 1-2 visits depending on round count.

My last two range sessions required a 525 round Winchester pack, so I guess I need to clean them now :D I need to remember the "safe" place I stuck the other bulk packs of .22 I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom