• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I NEVER clean my guns! It's just not safe. I've been hearing the same stuff all my life, "I was cleaning my gun and it just went off and hit my foot", I was cleaning my gun and it shot the TV", "I was cleaning my gun and it went off and hit the neighbor's dog".

It's just not safe.......

lol, you say that but - I have a cousin that is a retired Marine. He was an 0311 (rifleman) and did 3 tours in Iraq. His transport got blown up by a roadside IED (only he survived), he got his left arm burned by some sort of flare (not really sure about that one), but he never took a round – he was lucky.

After he got out he went to the range with a fellow marine and they were shooting his new HK USP CT. His friend shot it last, and packed it up. My cousin went home to clean up and didn't know there was a round in the chamber (definitely his fault for not looking and practicing proper safe handling). He ND'd into his thigh and severed his femoral artery. He survived, but only because his buddy knew enough to evaluate the wound/situation. He called 911 before pinching the exposed artery together with his fingers until the EMTs arrived.

He survived, but his wife made him store the guns away for a while. He told me that the wall next to him looked like it had been sprayed with hamburger meet. I asked him “how did you not perform a safety check?”. He told me that, it was no excuse, but he got too comfortable around his weapons and got complacent. Totally his fault.

So, it happens. Far too often actually. Especially when people ignore the basic fundamentals of safety.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    When they are dirty.

Seriously, with the ammo these days not be corrosive it's more a matter of gunking up and becoming unreliable. I have a buddy that says when he gets a new pistol he will not clean it until he starts to have issues, just so he understands about how long he can go. I don't subscribe to that line of thinking.

This.

People are so overboard when it comes to cleaning. We are talking about shooters and not museum quality pieces. The correct answer is to clean your weapon after you start to notice any performance issues. Obviously, a weapon that you use for self defense at home probably stays clean as it is only for home protection only.

Range guns don't need to be cleaned, oiled, and disassembled after every range session. Sorry guys, but if you enjoy cleaning it....go for it. The non-corrosive ammo and such don't make cleaning a necessity. I put a few thousand rounds through my Glocks before I even begin to think about cleaning them. My .22 rifles are very similar. I will stand next to any one of you at the range and show you that there is no reason to pamper these weapons. They are meant to be shot.

Look how many guns have been passed down through the generations and still perform like new. This was long before the craze for overpriced cleaners, oil, cleaners, and lube. Shoot the darn things and clean every once in a while and they will all last longer than any of us.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    He survived, but only because his buddy knew enough to evaluate the wound/situation. He called 911 before pinching the exposed artery together with his fingers until the EMTs arrived.

Holy schit. He's lucky I wasn't there!! I don't know how fast I can get to the phone while passed out on the floor.:o

Good story, fact is, IT DOES HAPPEN.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    This.

People are so overboard when it comes to cleaning. We are talking about shooters and not museum quality pieces. The correct answer is to clean your weapon after you start to notice any performance issues. Obviously, a weapon that you use for self defense at home probably stays clean as it is only for home protection only.

Range guns don't need to be cleaned, oiled, and disassembled after every range session. Sorry guys, but if you enjoy cleaning it....go for it. The non-corrosive ammo and such don't make cleaning a necessity. I put a few thousand rounds through my Glocks before I even begin to think about cleaning them. My .22 rifles are very similar. I will stand next to any one of you at the range and show you that there is no reason to pamper these weapons. They are meant to be shot.

Look how many guns have been passed down through the generations and still perform like new. This was long before the craze for overpriced cleaners, oil, cleaners, and lube. Shoot the darn things and clean every once in a while and they will all last longer than any of us.

Really? Wait until you start having issues? Do you apply this to your motor vehicle? And as far as range guns not having to be cleaned, I've seen them malfunction when not cleaned after a few thousand rounds. Cleaning is not pampering, but protecting your investment and making sure it performs.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    It depends on the gun. My special, more valuable guns get cleaned and oiled after every range trip. Most of my other guns get cleaned after every three or four range trips. I do wipe them all down with an oil cloth before putting them back in the safe everytime they are out.

zyo81

Jan 6, 2013
    I used to clean them every time I took them out. Now it really depends on the gun. 22s usually every trip still, center fire every 2-3. Unless I'm really pumping out the rounds or I know it will sit a while.

eagle-eye78

Aug 30, 2012
    Frederick MD
    Clean after every range trip, occasionally disassemble and do function checks on safe queens. But then again I like disassembling my weapons and cleaning them…. I find it relaxing….. and yes I have been told that this is weird!

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Usually every other day or so in the shower. More frequently if it's been taken to the range.

Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Maybe it's because I'm an old Army dinosaur, a relic of the past if you will, but I grew up habitually cleaning and maintaining my weapons on a regular basis. I understand many use firearms for recreational use and won't be humping their rigs through the mountains of Afghanistan or combating the harsh arid conditions in Iraq, but it still would not hurt to maintain your guns after a range session. I know those guns better be cleaned before you turn then in to the arms room, and there was a good reason for that. I wouldn't recommend cutting corners when it comes to weapons maintenance, especially if your life depends on it. To each his own.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    And that's why a proper functions check is performed after disassembly and re-assembly - to make sure the gun works properly. Not trying to be a dick but you don't appear to have confidence in your ability to properly maintain your weapons. If you don't clean your HD rig before putting it away then when do you clean it? It makes more sense for carbon, rust, oxidation or corrosion to build up inside the gun than to give it a thorough cleaning? Not sure I follow your logic.

I clean based on round count. Every 200 rounds or so usually. I will run a bore snake through after a range trip. If the gun is going to sit for a while It gets the full cleaning and oiling

I have a lot of confidence in my ability, but things go wrong even with the best of intentions. Function tests tell you it appears to work fine not that it actually does. Rounds down range show that it works.

Home defense gun gets a workout every time I shoot. That's the gun I need to be most profficient with.

Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    lol, you say that but - I have a cousin that is a retired Marine. He was an 0311 (rifleman) and did 3 tours in Iraq. His transport got blown up by a roadside IED (only he survived), he got his left arm burned by some sort of flare (not really sure about that one), but he never took a round – he was lucky.

After he got out he went to the range with a fellow marine and they were shooting his new HK USP CT. His friend shot it last, and packed it up. My cousin went home to clean up and didn't know there was a round in the chamber (definitely his fault for not looking and practicing proper safe handling). He ND'd into his thigh and severed his femoral artery. He survived, but only because his buddy knew enough to evaluate the wound/situation. He called 911 before pinching the exposed artery together with his fingers until the EMTs arrived.

He survived, but his wife made him store the guns away for a while. He told me that the wall next to him looked like it had been sprayed with hamburger meet. I asked him “how did you not perform a safety check?”. He told me that, it was no excuse, but he got too comfortable around his weapons and got complacent. Totally his fault.

So, it happens. Far too often actually. Especially when people ignore the basic fundamentals of safety.

We had a situation in Iraq back in '03 when 1st Platoon came back to the FOB after conducting late night ops. A young Sergeant discharged his weapon while he was performing maintenance on it. He unconsciously loaded a full magazine and placed the weapon on burst when performing a functions check. One round went through his Platoon Sergeant wounding him, and another went into the chest of a young Soldier who was killed instantly.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Maybe it's because I'm an old Army dinosaur, a relic of the past if you will, but I grew up habitually cleaning and maintaining my weapons on a regular basis. I understand many use firearms for recreational use and won't be humping their rigs through the mountains of Afghanistan or combating the harsh arid conditions in Iraq, but it still would not hurt to maintain your guns after a range session. I know those guns better be cleaned before you turn then in to the arms room, and there was a good reason for that. I wouldn't recommend cutting corners when it comes to weapons maintenance, especially if your life depends on it. To each his own.

I dont have the background you do, but im the same way. A dirty gun makes me cringe. I cant sleep at night knowing i left something dirty. Black powder i clean like a Nazi as soon as im done shooting it. It gets sprayed down before i leave the range. AR is no later than sunset the day I fired it. Lately ive been slacking however....

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    We had a situation in Iraq back in '03 when 1st Platoon came back to the FOB after conducting late night ops. A young Sergeant discharged his weapon while he was performing maintenance on it. He unconsciously loaded a full magazine and placed the weapon on burst when performing a functions check. One round went through his Platoon Sergeant wounding him, and another went into the chest of a young Soldier who was killed instantly.

:sad20: That's terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom