• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    Allegany County/Frostburg
    I have no immediate plans to start reloading as I know nothing about it, but how much does it cost in equipment to start reloading and is there 1 source that could teach you how to reload good enough for target shooting?(I'd assume if you can reload target loads you could make hunting loads but I'm not sure)

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    All kinds of threads on this topic. To many variables. Please search the reloading page

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    It all depends on what equip you buy, what calibers, what components etc. There are many variables. Each caliber you reload for will need a die set. Powder, primer, bullet prices keep changing for the most part.

Lee stuff is very cost effective, and will do the job. RCBS will give you lifetime warrenty on there equip - but will cost you a little more. It depends on how serious and how often you plan on reloading.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Start by buying books and read them. ebay cheap
    I started with about 300.00 in equipment and supplies.
    Pick a caliber to start with. I've started with 38spl.
    Start saving and picking up this brass. In 5 weeks I was able to get 500 cases.
    Ask your friends to save it for you.
    Take an NRA class or find friends to help you
    Ask questions on this forum in the reloading section.

Hope this helps

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    That depends. If you're just reloading pistol rounds, you can get a basic bench mounted press and some basic hand tools and a set of reloading dies for under $150. If you get a Lee Anniversary Kit, it comes with Lee's book on reloading. The hand presses and the little reloading thing Lee sells will get frustrating if you're trying to load more than 10 rounds.

Jim

eric_2902

Retired Army
    Jan 13, 2010
    Conowingo
    Geeze. Cost really depends on what you want to get from it...For me reloading is half the fun so over time I have invested several dollars because i really enjoy it. For practical just getting the job done a person could simply go with a kit like the anniversary kit Lee sells. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=423081

So a basic kit, a set of Lee dies, pound of powder, good reloading book, primers, brass, etc...you could probably get a basic start for a couple hundred. If you have zero experience though I would highly recommend sitting with someone to learn the basics or perhaps taking the NRA metallic reloading course. http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

You are way to far from me but if you get to my neck of the woods I would gladly walk you through the basics. As stated above there are some great threads on the subject. If you want to start out low cost and on one caliber something like the Lee Classic loader might be an option. Takes way more time but pretty economical. I use it at the range sometimes when I'm working up loads. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=508946

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Again, depends on what you're reloading. The Lee Anniversary Kit will get you going for loading rifle, and single stage pistol, and will run you around $100-$150. You'll need dies for each caliber, along with powder and primers and a few other gadgets. Maybe another $100. You'll find more toys that you think that you just got to have as you go along, but that setup will work.

If you shoot a lot of pistol, loading them single stage, or one by one, will get old real quick. You may, down the road, want to get a progressive press. You basically get a round out with every pull of the handle. You're talking $160-$200 for a Lee, up to $1000 + for a Dillion setup. Plus more gadgets.

It all depends on how deep you want to pursue it. Like all hobbies, you can get into it on a primitive level, and it will work, but if you like it, you'll most likely expand into more, and more expensive equipment. I like the book by Richard Lee, Modern Reloading, to start out with. It explains everything pretty clear, and if you look around, you can find it for $11 or so.

Good luck.

MH

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    There is nothing wrong with the lee hand press. It's a little slow but that ok if you are learning and looking for quality loads. I have loaded close to 500 rounds with mine in the last two months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom