• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdubyacobb

Mar 6, 2009
    Patagonia Arizona
    Over the past two weeks I have bought up a little over a thousand combined rounds of .223 and 5.56 (because I am in Arizona and it is available), to me that seems like a fair amount to have on hand.
    But I also I have a buddy that is IMHO a bit nutty and he is spending 10% of his income on ammo.
    I don’t want to look like a "sky is falling" kind of nut, but I do have some concerns about the direction our country, and indeed the world is going.
    So I thought I would ask: how much ammo seems a "reasonable" amount to stockpile?
    (And yes there is a wife involved that I have to report to!)

Luke 12:49

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County
    Well I'm pretty sure any non-loving gun wife, it would be sade to say that 10 rounds is too much...but for me, you can never have enough ammo!

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    in a SHTF you may have to kill thousands of zombies to survive, i say you cant have enough

gdubyacobb

Mar 6, 2009
    Patagonia Arizona
    I havent been around this forum for very long, but I guess I should have known that that would be everyones answer.
    I guess I'll cut back on the Bushmills and keep buying the ammo.
    Maybe someday we will be paying for things in rounds and not $ or gold. Yeah I am sure my wife will like to hear that come out of my mouth.:sad20:

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    Especially if you're in AZ, stock up, and take orders for your less fortunate MD bretheren....

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    My relatively small ammo pile routinely outperforms my IRA. If I put everything into ammo ten years ago, I could have quadrupled my money instead of losing half of it. . .

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    In a perfect world I'd love to have 10000 rounds for each gun I own (and more than 2 guns lol)

In reality I have about 400 target bullets + 50 home defense, and 100 target shotshells + 25 home defense. I plan to keep upping each month until the wife wonders why I'm excavating in the basement.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    it depends on why he is buying . . .for investment? Well, I guess that could work.

I "stockpile" as much as I can afford every so often because prices seem to rise over time and it is better for me to get what I can at the lowest possible price. . I have a stash of 3K+ of 5.56 that would NOW cost almost twice what I paid about three years ago.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    On this note, does ammo have any type of shelf life? I store mine in a box in the basement at about 70 degrees and 40% humidity. I didn't know if the brass corrodes over time or anything like that.

squeky

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2007
    Frederick
    I'd say 1000 rounds is plenty for SHTF.

Here's another good link: http://frugalsquirrels.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=044387;p=1

I liked this list (from the link, written by a guy living in SHTF):
    1) Those that want to harm you/steal from you don’t come with a pirate flag waving over their heads.

2) Neither do they start shooting at you 200 yards away.

3) They won’t come riding loud bikes or dressed with their orange, convict just escaped from prison jump suits, so that you can identify them the better. Nor do they all wear chains around their necks and leather jackets. If I had a dollar for each time a person that got robbed told me “They looked like NORMAL people, dressed better than we are”, honestly, I would have enough money for a nice gun. There are exceptions, but don’t expect them to dress like in the movies.

4) A man with a wife and two or three kids can’t set up a watch. I don’t care if you are SEAL, SWAT or John Freaking Rambo, no 6th sense is going to tell you that there is a guy pointing a gun at your back when you are trying to fix the water pump that just broke, or carrying a big heavy bag of dried beans you bought that morning.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    On this note, does ammo have any type of shelf life? I store mine in a box in the basement at about 70 degrees and 40% humidity. I didn't know if the brass corrodes over time or anything like that.

Shelf-life for factory loads is (from my experience) "indefinite." As long as you keep the humidity as low as you can, you should be OK. I have a Sears basement humidifier running and keeping things at 35% or below. So far no problems . . .

And yes, I've seen corroded brass, but I have no idea about the conditions that got it that way.

weldingshop

Jan 24, 2009
    My relatively small ammo pile routinely outperforms my IRA. If I put everything into ammo ten years ago, I could have quadrupled my money instead of losing half of it. . .

But you would have had to sell it........and that's no fun.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Realistically; Whatever your wallet can afford...

All the advice is for WWIII or SHTF, then you would need a good stash in the thousands.

If you're just an enthusiast, and a good shot. Then the amount is whatever amount, 1 year of shooting normally is, if you buy bulk. Otherwise you will get into storage issues.

PS - If you're a really good shot in a SHTF scenario, and execute good TTP; you can take the offenders stash.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom