How many regulated firearms can you purchase within 30 days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • subman

BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2015
    I recently made a handgun purchase at Bass Pro..I think I remember a question on the application that asked if I had purchased a regulated firearm within the past 30-days? is there a limit on the number? Do I have to wait 30 days before I purchase another handgun?

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I'm surprised there is not a sticky on this. Yes, you shot your wad for the month, we hope you chose wisely.

There are some exceptions, the best is to become a designated collector. Buying from an estate or buying to gain a discount for multiple purchases is allowed. Also the usual law enforcement exemptions. If you buy 2 the waiting period is extended to 60 days unless you are a collector.

http://www.mdsp.org/Organization/Pages/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmsCollectors.aspx

Last edited:

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    normally there's a limit of 1 regulated, mainly handgun, per 30 days. I have seen occasions where you could buy 2 at once,or really close, but were basically blocked from further regulated purchases for 60 days.

In order to get two at once, you have to include a 'justification.' but i haven't heard MSP being strict. Cases like, 'one was on sale, couldn't pass by.'

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    If you are a 'designated collector' you do not have to wait. Otherwise you can only make 1 purchase every 30 days. I seem to remember other posts like this where some have answered that you can buy another but have to wait 60 days but I've not done that myself and don't know if that is actually so.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Becoming a designated collector is easy. Just fill out a form, get it notarized and send it in to MSP. Approximately two weeks later you should get a letter back saying you are a collector

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    For newbies other than subman, last year MSP stopped granting DC status to people who had not yet purchased a regulated firearm in MD. There's nothing in the law about this, they just arbitrarily made it up; as far as I know its still the current policy.

For newbies other than subman, last year MSP stopped granting DC status to people who had not yet purchased a regulated firearm in MD. There's nothing in the law about this, they just arbitrarily made it up; as far as I know its still the current policy.

I'll have to check the date but they (Cpl. Cusimano) tried that with me in 11' or 12'.When I sent a link to what the law/statute was,they issued the DC status and letter (which I've heard not everyone receives) to me.:sad20:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I was under the impression that those 2 have to be bought at the same. No? Not sure why I thought this.

Say 2 guns on Sept. 20 and cannot buy again until Nov. 20.

OR

Not 1 gun on the 20th and another on the 30th. Or if it is this way, you cannot buy again before the 2nd purchase 30 day wait.

Doesn't apply to me because I never have enough money for 2 anyway :)

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I was under the impression that those 2 have to be bought at the same. No? Not sure why I thought this.

Say 2 guns on Sept. 20 and cannot buy again until Nov. 20.

OR

Not 1 gun on the 20th and another on the 30th. Or if it is this way, you cannot buy again before the 2nd purchase 30 day wait.

Doesn't apply to me because I never have enough money for 2 anyway :)

I think you are correct, 2 at once as a package deal ... I think the intent was to allow people to purchase consecutive serial number guns, etc.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    2 at once, then wait 60 days.

If you buy one now and one in say 10 days, in the past MSP has sent the paperwork back indicating that the FFL may not deliver it, until X date. Or best, have the FFL hold the paperwork until 30 days and submit.

And to be PRECISE, there is NOTHING in the law about how many you can buy or how often. You may only take POSSESSION of one every 30 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom