• 0-50% aka not even half the time

Votes: 10 11.0%
    • I have my permit and just want to be counted

Votes: 6 6.6%

• Total voters

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Okay so I have had my permit for around a month, I think I have left the house once or maybe twice in that time with out a pistol on me. So percentage wise I have to be in the 90's for having it on me, but thats just statistics as I basically always have it on me when out.

So to those who have been approved since bruen how often do you have your pistol on you? I am more curious to post bruen permits than people who had them before. I also added an option for those who just want to be counted as being approved and in hand if you dont want to answer the pole other wise. This will also give us a total of people here who have been approved since bruen.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Been carrying in md for over 7 years. I carry everyday unless i know i an going into a prohibited .gov compound.

Nobody

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    The reason I am more curious of post bruen permits, is those who went thru the extra trouble pre bruen in my mind had better reasons to carry and probably did more often. ( better reasons meaning businesses and such )

I know one person out side of here who has his post bruen permit and has carried it once. He got it just incase he felt the need to, he has only once just to say he did.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The reason I am more curious of post bruen permits, is those who went thru the extra trouble pre bruen in my mind had better reasons to carry and probably did more often. ( better reasons meaning businesses and such )

I know one person out side of here who has his post bruen permit and has carried it once. He got it just incase he felt the need to, he has only once just to say he did.
    Don’t shortchange yourself. The pre Bruen permit holders did not have “better reasons” to carry. Rather they simply had reasons which the Crown found to be acceptable to them. Self defense, is the greatest reason there is.

That said… With 36+ years carrying, I fully understand the reason behind your poll, and why you are focusing on post Bruen folks.

Carry on.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Mine is on the way, but don't have plans to carry regularly.

I wanted to exercise the right and give myself the option for if I ever have business somewhere sketchy.

I know something can go down anywhere at anytime, but currently I'm not opting to make the changes mentally-wise, clothing-wise etc that are required IMO to carry safely and responsibly 100% of the time.

I'll "turn it on" when I opt to carry, but don't plan to every day.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Ask this a year from now, and the answers will be very different. Follow up with “What are you carrying?”

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I'm not sure yet. I just got approved and waiting for my permit to arrive.

The number of Holsters and carrying positions is a little daunting I think I will carry everyday as I find a solution that is comfortable for me.

I plan on carrying an auto knife everyday though.

JollyPedro

Aug 15, 2022
    St Mary's County
    Don’t shortchange yourself. The pre Bruen permit holders did not have “better reasons” to carry. Rather they simply had reasons which the Crown found to be acceptable to them. Self defense, is the greatest reason there is.

That said… With 36+ years carrying, I fully understand the reason behind your poll, and why you are focusing on post Bruen folks.

Carry on.
    Well said!!!!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I guess I can't really answer this time I am approved and have my permit. But I am guessing its going to be less than 10% to be honest. I don't get out much. I cannot take it to work (fed). When I do go out, it is mostly to places there are few people, and mostly known to me people. There are times and place I will carry, I just don't think it'll end up being all that often. But I damned well want that permit for the times I DO think I need to have a better means of self defense on me than my swinging cod and arms of iron (*sarcasm*).

I mostly wanted it to ditch the transport restrictions to make my life more flexible. If I want to take a handgun over to a buddy's to show it to him, I don't want to have to worry I am breaking the law. If I want to go to the range and then run a bunch of errands, leave it in my car. Once more places restrictions are struck down, take it camping and hiking. Or carry it with me hunting and worry less about "concealed" or how it is being carried (not a normal concern, but for example hunting in bear country, it is STEEP on the public lands in Western Maryland and frankly if I am on my own, a lot nicer to hike back to my vehicle, drop my stuff off, and then field dress and drag/carry/cart out my deer. It's a lot nicer to just strap my 6.6" Glock 21L (loaded with 45 super, its hunting legal, so DNR can't hem me up) rather than keep my rifle slung over my shoulder. I am not all THAT worried about black bears. At the same time, I am not sure I want to drag a carcass out of the woods totally unarmed (and frankly the two legged natives have given me problems and concerns in the past too and I'd really rather not be unarmed in that circumstance either).

Sure, I can legally have a handgun then for hunting purposes if hunting legal for deer, but I don't then have to worry if I want to drive over and grab lunch somewhere. Or take it by a deer processor if I am not going to quarter it out there and take the meat home. Etc.

Maryland just makes things stupid, and I don't want to deal with that, more than it is a real desire of feeling I need to carry day-to-day.

As an example, though when I wished I could have carried and I mostly kind of sort of couldn't, about 3 years ago we have someone escaped from the state hospital with police canvassing the new miles around the facility, including the park and our neighborhood for several days before he was found. I hadn't sold my house in the neighborhood yet, so I went by to check it out and make sure the guy wasn't squatting in the house or the property. So I threw my glock 17 in case, drove over, stepped out of my car, loaded it in my drive way, checked the property, shed and house. Then unloaded it and back in the case to drive home elsewhere in the neighborhood.

Stepping into a situation where I am possibly unarmed, not so great. Also no (legal) way to easily load my firearm (because DNR, I can't have a loaded handgun in my car even on my own property unless I have a W&C). A whole heap of stupid. But also, based on the situation, I didn't need police driving by and see me strapped getting out of my car (I didn't have an IWB holster at the time, and a G17 is a heck of a large gun to try to carry IWB in summer clothes). Of course them seeing me uncasing a handgun and loading it in the driveway might have also created some problems...but at least I'd be 100% legal.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    BIG SNIP but left something
    I mostly wanted it to ditch the transport restrictions to make my life more flexible.
    This is what I have told a lot of people who have no desire to carry. The legal protection given by having the permit against something stupid like leaving a loaded mag in the gun when leaving the house or range.

Now I also work from home, but my office for the once a week I go there does not care. I live in a good area, in a decent county ( carroll ) so no issues there. Heck once I get my MD instructor stuff covered my boss wants me to give the class in our office if anyone wants it. ( mostly for the HQL )

But i do have to drive all over MD, DC and VA to visit jobs every so often. I am also going for my DC permit, and will be applying to be a dc instructor as well.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This is what I have told a lot of people who have no desire to carry. The legal protection given by having the permit against something stupid like leaving a loaded mag in the gun when leaving the house or range.

Now I also work from home, but my office for the once a week I go there does not care. I live in a good area, in a decent county ( carroll ) so no issues there. Heck once I get my MD instructor stuff covered my boss wants me to give the class in our office if anyone wants it. ( mostly for the HQL )

But i do have to drive all over MD, DC and VA to visit jobs every so often. I am also going for my DC permit, and will be applying to be a dc instructor as well.
    Yup if/when I have to go into the office, it's in Baltimore, even if it is a nicer part of the city. Ideally, I'd like to be able to carry, even if I am leaving it locked in my vehicle. Because I want to run an errand, it's probably in or right by the city. Otherwise I am in Baltimore maybe 1-2 times a year tops.

I rarely go anywhere else with lots of people or not nice areas. Sure, I can't know that the fairly nice grocery store I go to isn't going to have a mass shooting. But that is so rare, I am honestly not overly worried about it. A mall or concert, I am a bit more worried about. But I don't think I've been in a mall in 4 years. I've been to one concert in the last 2, and that was the first concert I went to in about 20. And since they wanded everyone, it wasn't like I would have been able to carry at the concert (unless or until place restrictions are visited by SCOTUS). I'd worry more about someone on the streets trying to carjack me in a bad part of town, or going into a store in a not nice part of town and the store, or myself to or from the store getting held-up/mugged.

But since I almost never do that...

But again, if I COULD carry at least TO work, even if not into the building, I likely would. Because that's about the only time I really feel I am in a place or doing things where I think I have any serious likelihood of being a victim of a violent crime. Now if I could carry in to work too, I would probably. I can't recall a time there has been an incident in my office, or even my larger agency. But despite the "secure" campus (which just means a lot of armed guards), crimes HAVE happened on the campus. Including a few years ago someone shot walking on the perimeter sidewalk and there have been a couple of muggings in similar circumstances.

Otherwise 99% will be transport restrictions until place restrictions get a revisit. I doubt SCOTUS is going to turn over carry in government buildings. Or if they do, it'll only be in unsecured gov't buildings. However, they might turn over bans on federal property where there isn't security screening (so federal parking lots as an example of where carry/possession is often banned, which makes no sense). I have a high level of confidence they'll turn over bans on carry/possession in local, state, federal parks and forests, which is one of the few other times I really wish I could carry.

SigNerd

Feb 24, 2015
    I've only been outside disarmed three "times" (one of those was for a few days, but all for the same reason) since getting my license:

* going to PA to get my PA license

* going to an out of state comedy club that was wanding at the entrance... had to run back to my hotel to disarm and get back in time for the show. Would have been legal in that state if I got through without them noticing, but seemed unlikely to make it through; maybe if I had been appendix carrying since they only wanded the sides, but I don't know how sensitive the wands are. Probably could have gotten through the bag check with it in a bag, but didn't have it with me. Ultimately with the 2 drink minimum I didn't mind that I was disarmed (though light drinking in that state while armed is legal, 2 beers is my personal limit for non-extended periods even when legal)

* when some UK friends stayed with us over the weekend. Mostly because of the high likelihood of random trips into DC (still waiting on my DC license, but the trips centered on the Mall anyway, so it wouldn't have helped). One of them is a UK police officer, though, so I actually got to take a cop with me to fix most issues that could be encountered. :) Other than specific trips to the smithsonians I did carry pepper spray (which since they didn't care to check on my thrunite tn12 flashlight pinging on their machine when going through security I probably could have made it in with it in my pocket).

Outside of specific reasons, I put it on before I take out the dog the first time in the day and put it in the bedside safe after I take him out the last time at night.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Okay so I have had my permit for around a month, I think I have left the house once or maybe twice in that time with out a pistol on me. So percentage wise I have to be in the 90's for having it on me, but thats just statistics as I basically always have it on me when out.

So to those who have been approved since bruen how often do you have your pistol on you? I am more curious to post bruen permits than people who had them before. I also added an option for those who just want to be counted as being approved and in hand if you dont want to answer the pole other wise. This will also give us a total of people here who have been approved since bruen.

That's racist only caring about recent permit carriers.

And you have the wrong poll.

iu

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    To quote yoda, do or do not, there is no try. Anything less than 100% may as well be 0%, and may actually be safer.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    I live in a relative quiet suburban neighborhood. I the main reason why I wanted a permit is because I play in a band that plays a lot of places that are in bad parts of Baltimore along the north avenue Charles St corridor. I always feel very vulnerable when loading and uploading gear and merchandise from my vehicle. I also carry a cash box with large amounts of cash from merch sales. Since I don't drink when I'm performing (or driving for that matter) the bar carry works out great for my particular situation.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008

I'll always remember the story of the nurse was assaulted twice on the light rail and was told by MSP that it was unlikely it would happen a third time when denying her permit.

If that's not a good reason I don't know what is.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom