• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    So, my brother and I are going to start reloading. We figure we will split the cost of the core equipment and each person will be responsible for the components that are caliber specific. I am going to be loading .30-06 primarily and I think he is planning on .223 and .45ACP. So, I placed the order today. Will the following be enough to get me started? I did not buy powder or primers, I am going to try and do that locally...

Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit
    Product #: 121744 $99.99 1 $99.99
    Lee Zip Trim
    Product #: 515804 $15.99 1 $15.99
    Lee Case Trimmer Cutter with Ball Grip
    Product #: 136199 $6.99 1 $6.99

Caliber specific components for 30-06....

Lee Deluxe 3-Die Set 30-06 Springfield
    Product #: 257541 $28.99 1 $28.99
    Lee Case Length Gage and Shellholder 30-06 Springfield
    Product #: 459337 $4.49 1 $4.49
    Hornady Bullets 30 Caliber (308 Diameter) 150 Grain Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail with Cannelure Box of 100 (Bulk Packaged)
    Product #: 733374 $22.99 1 $22.99
    Lee Universal Shellholder #2 (308 Winchester, 30-06 Springfield, 45 ACP)
    Product #: 616684 $3.49 1 $3.49

I have a ton of 30-06 brass, so all i really need to powder and primers.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    It's a good beginning. Three items jump out to me as conspicuously absent:
    A scale, a priming tool and a tumbler.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    You will need calipers to measure OAL of the cartridge when bullet seating. You can buy some pretty decent digital calipers fairly cheap these days - Midway offers a few. Calipers is one of the few things that digital is fine for. You may want to check your Die set, and see if it comes with your shellholder. I think Lee includes one with there set - most brands do not. The 30-06 & 45 ACP probably use the same shellholder. Also I would most definetly invest in a scale - a Balance Beam scale works great. Im not sure if that is included in the kit you are buying. Same with a powder dispenser.

I load those Hornady FMJ Bullets in my 30-06 for target / plinking They are good bullets for target shooting - dont use them for hunting though! Also you will notice the cannelure is off for that bullet in the 30-06. It will be above the mouth of the case when seated to Hornady's spec (I think its 3.258") That bullet can be loaded in other 30 calibers- more than likely that cannelure is intended for a .308 Win. Its no big deal though - It wont inhibit on how it shoots.

For powder - Ive had good luck with Win 760 Ball powder. But thats something you may have to experiment with to find what your gun likes.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    That Lee Breech lock kit includes....

# Lee Auto Prime.
    # Lee Auto Prime Shellholder Set of 11.
    # Lee Cutter and Lock Stud.
    # Lee Perfect Powder Measure.
    # Lee Chamfer Tool.
    # Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner
    # Lee Safety Powder Scale.
    # Lee Powder funnel.
    # 2 oz Tube Lee Resizing Case Lube.

And I think we are going to make a hillbilly tumbler out of an old drill.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    It's been a while since I looked at the items that come with a Lee kit. You're close to GTG.
    I agree with Deep Creek Rock. A caliper is a good addition.

Tumbler's aren't all that expensive. Someone recently posted a tumbler available from Harbor Freight for ~ $49.

You don't mention the type of rifle you'll be loading 30-06 for. If it's plinking ammo you're building, the .308 mil spec bullets from Wideners work well for me: http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=7238&dir=278|281|727

Take it slow and learn.

P.S. If your brother is reloading .223 range cases, a primer crimp removal tool - either a pocket swagging tool or a hand pocket reamer - is almost a must. He'll run into cases with primer crimps more often than you think.

And a very handy tool you'll need sooner or later is an impact bullet puller. Once you seat a bullet too deeply, you'll be trying to figure out how to get it back out of the case: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=215517

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I will be reloading for a garand. How hard it it to decap hxp? I forgot to post it but I did order a. Bullet puller too, and I will def aquire a caliber.

Reloading for a Garand is different than loading for modern 30-06 rifle rounds. Make sure you use a recipe intended for M1 ammo. I've only just begun reloading for my Garand so I'm by no means an expert. IMR-4064 has worked well for me so far. The Wideners .308's I mentioned before are slightly lighter than the 150 gr bullets you bought. I'm working up loads for the lighter bullet and so far so good.

The HXP ammo from CMP not only shoots great, it decaps, sizes and reloads nicely with my Lee dies. Lube your cases and you'll be OK. I also use the Lee factory crimp die to apply a light crimp to the rounds.

Good luck and let us know how your reloads work out.

eric_2902

Retired Army
    Jan 13, 2010
    Conowingo
    Reloading for a Garand is different than loading for modern 30-06 rifle rounds. Make sure you use a recipe intended for M1 ammo. I've only just begun reloading for my Garand so I'm by no means an expert. IMR-4064 has worked well for me so far. The Wideners .308's I mentioned before are slightly lighter than the 150 gr bullets you bought. I'm working up loads for the lighter bullet and so far so good.

The HXP ammo from CMP not only shoots great, it decaps, sizes and reloads nicely with my Lee dies. Lube your cases and you'll be OK. I also use the Lee factory crimp die to apply a light crimp to the rounds.

Good luck and let us know how your reloads work out.

I'm just about to start up some loads for my Garand using IMR 4064 and lake city brass...how many grains did you settle on? As an FYI I will be using the CCI # 34 military primers.

I really dig the 4064...it meters well and has done well in my 300 Win MAG, 7.5 French, 7.5 Swiss (K31), and my mausers. I finally ran out of my CMP ammo so time to reload for the Garand now :thumbsup:

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I found this page this morning....

http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20000620055732/home.att.net/~Masterpo/M1load.htm

But saw a lot of other posts on various message boards that mention people using 150gr hornady bullets for garand loads. I figured it would be a good starting point for a new reloader.

Here is another question...I did not order powder and primers from Midway as the 2 week wait time and $25 hazmat fee steered me away. Does Basspro usually have a decent stock of powder and primers?

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Are those loads max loads or starter loads? I would guess they are an ideal load for that round...THEN I'd load 10% below that as my test rounds and work up from there.

I pulled that link from the CMP boards. A lot of people were questioning it and saying they were a bit too powerful, but then a bunch of other people said the standard "Oh I use that all the time." I am probably going to pick up a Hornady manual and just use a basic load out of there.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._

http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20000620055732/home.att.net/~Masterpo/M1load.htm

But saw a lot of other posts on various message boards that mention people using 150gr hornady bullets for garand loads. I figured it would be a good starting point for a new reloader.

Here is another question...I did not order powder and primers from Midway as the 2 week wait time and $25 hazmat fee steered me away. Does Basspro usually have a decent stock of powder and primers?

Bass Pro used to have a good selection - but I havent been there in years - so no telling what they have. Alot of places keep powder & sometimes primers behind a counter or in a powder closet, If you dont see it - ask someone there - they may have to get it for you.

Im not sure what part of Montgo Co you are hailing from - years ago when I lived in Rockville - I used to ride up a place in Mt Airy called Crosswinds outdoors. I kinda looks like an old school General store inside - but his reloading stuff was good priced. Im not sure if that business is around anymore - but It might be worth checking into. I know Atlantic Guns carry reload stuff - but they are very overpriced on it last time I was there.

I agree with you on Hazmat fee - if you can find it locally - its better to get it that way. If you know a bunch of people who reload, you may want to check into Powder Valley.

www.powdervalleyinc.com

They can ship up to 40 lbs of powder with one Hazmat fee (I think 20 bucks). There powder prices are great! If you get enough people to order a bunch and split the cost, you can get a pretty good deal.

I have been contiplating seeing if some of the board member local to me would be intrested in doing a group buy that way.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I'm just about to start up some loads for my Garand using IMR 4064 and lake city brass...how many grains did you settle on? As an FYI I will be using the CCI # 34 military primers.

I really dig the 4064...it meters well and has done well in my 300 Win MAG, 7.5 French, 7.5 Swiss (K31), and my mausers. I finally ran out of my CMP ammo so time to reload for the Garand now :thumbsup:

If I were you I'd read as much as you can before reloading for a Garand. My starting loads using 4064 w/ 150 gr bullets were about 10% lighter than the loads listed in the link Skins_Brew posted. Since my reloads performed pretty close to the HXP ammo, I haven't seen a need to bump them up. But keep in mind, my reloads are light plinking ammo and not what I'd call "match" loads.

I've used standard CCI LR primers in my Garand loads - and I use standard SR primers in my .223 loads. I seat my primers correctly and have never had a problem. No doubt the #34 primers will work similarly to standard primers in Garand loads.

150 gr bullets seem to be the "go-to" for Garands. That's what the HXP ammo is loaded with. So why try to reinvent the wheel?

It's interesting that the "vanilla" .30 caliber loads I've built over the years for 7.62x54R, 303B, 7.7Jap, 7.5x55 Swiss and even modern 30-30 seem to end up with a 150 gr bullet as their sweet spot. (Yes, some rifles have .308 bores and others .311/.312 - don't forget that.) There are many similarities in the loads for different military bottle-neck 30 cal rounds.

The Bass Pro in Arundel Mills generally has powder and primers in stock (at least lately).

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Alot of powder manufactures sell there powder in 8 lbs cans, which means MD residents can't buy it if its true. Wouldnt make sense. Gasoline is just as dangerous, and theres no limit on how much of that we can have. I didnt see anything on Powder Valleys page restricting the amount of powder, that can be purchased. They also no longer require a FFL - so maybe the laws have changed.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Alot of powder manufactures sell there powder in 8 lbs cans, which means MD residents can't buy it if its true. Wouldnt make sense. Gasoline is just as dangerous, and theres no limit on how much of that we can have. I didnt see anything on Powder Valleys page restricting the amount of powder, that can be purchased. They also no longer require a FFL - so maybe the laws have changed.

Gun powder is evil, duh! Every thing related to guns is evil...

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

Making sense? Have you forgotten in what state you reside?

From this thread -> http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=218&highlight=pounds
    I found this:

Reloading Powder Limitations?
    I've found the Maryland Fire Marshall's website that gives limits on smokeless powder as 5 pounds (Which is ridiculous, 1/4 of the limit given by the National Fire Code and I think actually endangers reloaders) stored in a residence.

Anyway, I had one vendor tell me that he could sell me 8 and that I could get a permit for more (I read of a permit for sellers but not for personal use and I'm not too crazy about getting permission for something other states allow without such constraints)

Anyone know of a better source of information?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom