• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Ok, so we get shall-issue here in MD via 4th curcut and SCOTUS says NO WAY to MD for appeal. MD becomes officially shall-issue. MSP first has to mop up the slop of extra crap they do for the permitting process so it is streamlined. So what is their ability to revoke going to be like? For mere open carry?

Another hypothetical of course is the higher court rules open carry has to be inlisc'd and not burdonsome ( can OC in vehicle,etc- basically like in VA), but concelead carry can have some restrictions, however it must be shall-issue and bla bla bla. Maybe they allow for a charactor clause or something for CC. In this case, open carry can be done as is done in any other state excepting the few restrictions already in place in MD ( protests, school zones...but let's allow it in the freakin parks, ok?)

Most likely though it would take another state case or SCOTUS case to get OC off the gov't permission slip thing, so CC and OC would both be allowed under a shall-issue MD lisc. Some poop will be hitting some fans when the activists come out. Revocation for open carry when it is allowed on the shall-issue permit? Hmmm....(I'd like to do it on private property of people I know, including farmland, just like I do on nice days during trapping season when walking to check traps- the landowners have no issue with that so can't see why they would have any issue when I am antler hunting, just wandering around on a nice day prior to trapping season to look for critter sign, or stopping by to target shoot with the lady at the dairy farm LOL).

gdubyacobb

Mar 6, 2009
    Patagonia Arizona
    Arizona being an open carry state where it is widely acknowledged and accepted, I am fairly casual in my concealed carrying, but in a state where open carry is a "no no" I would guess concealed means "no one should know".
    (Michigan here too: 11 & Mound. 313 back in the day)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here is a pic of the MD permit to carry a handgun. Notice it does not specify the type of carry. But as has been stated, OC will probably not be appreciated by LE.

Attachments

• MD permit.jpg
      MD permit.jpg
      52.9 KB · Views: 288
    Last edited:

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    CCW is rare enough here that printing or flashing is likely to get you prostrate after LE shows up to sort things out, probably right before your permit gets revoked.

Let's say somebody is loud and animated while talking with homey on the cell phone while standing at a urinal in the men's room. Coat is flapping around with a pistol flashing from an inside pocket. This goes on while a uniformed Maryland LEO is standing one urinal over. When this non-hypothetical situation goes down, the more interesting thing is how the offender is shocked about being drawn on and commanded to the men's room floor, then arrested. Claiming "I'm working", even though he is, just doesn't cut it, CCW or not. Don't be "that guy".

"Put down the meat rifle!"

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Here is a pic of the MD permit to carry a handgun. Notice it does not specify the type of carry. But as has been stated, OC will probably not be appreciated by LE.

And I'm fine with us getting CC only, if that is the compromise they come up with.

That said, though, I would also be in favor of allowing anyone with a CHP from another state to be considered "provisional" until the kinks are worked out.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    I just recently got my CCW/CPL from Michigan, I'm a Michigan resident and Stationed in MD with the Navy, and I was just wondering how exactly one gets a CCW in MD aside from being a LEO? I mean realistically, I've been on hear long enough to read enough people post that they have their MD CCW so its obviously not impossible.

Perform sexual favors for O'Malley, Frosh, or Gansler.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    You think Frosh might go for me? If I could get him to grow a handlebar stash, we could play naked in a repro Titanic lifeboat in his home. He and Bruce Ismay have many things in common.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Wow, this thread got way off topic...

To know the origins and requirements of the Maryland handgun permit, one must understand it's racist history.

In brief, there came a time in Maryland when citizens of wealth and influence decided they needed to take steps to prevent “Negros” from possessing firearms. The result is the Maryland concealed handgun permit system.

If you don’t believe me, ask yourself why would anyone devise a handgun permit law that required zero training and placed no restrictions on the consumption of alcohol?

The answer is simple: Influential and politically connected white businessmen knew with a wink, and a nod, that their applications would always be approved for "good & substantial" reasons. They and their cronies didn’t want to be bothered with training requirements and other restrictions.

They even made the list of permit holders confidential. Now, the unwritten code requires the weapons be carried concealed, so common people won’t demand they be allowed to exercise their second amendment rights as well.

Everyone should support the SAF & MSI in demanding Maryland State Police and the Maryland legislature reform the application process. Minimal and sensible requirements should be placed on carrying a firearm, such as no alcohol. Any mentally sound, law abiding citizen already possesses the right to open carry (IMHO), and a concealed carry permit process for should be fair, honest and non-discriminatory.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    You think Frosh might go for me? If I could get him to grow a handlebar stash, we could play naked in a repro Titanic lifeboat in his home. He and Bruce Ismay have many things in common.

Ismay knew to flee the sinking ship, Frosh and the rest are more like Andrews -- going down with the thing they designed or like Smith, going down with the thing they were sure could not sink.

Regarding concealed carry in MD -- I have seen so many off-duty cops in Westminster that were printing so bad that it was basically open carry. I seemed to be the only one who noticed, and they seemed surprised when I made a joke about it.

While that may be the norm for leos, I certainly will be going beyond 'concealed is concealed' and I will take advantage of the fact that there is no need to inform in MD. The only jurisdictions I would really trust enough to inform them would be Carroll or Frederick Sheriff's Departments.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Well the good thing for now is if you have a PTCH, it doesn't state which method, so an occasional print is not a violation of statute AFAIK. They'll probably change it if we win Woolard.

Attachments

• MD permit.jpg
      MD permit.jpg
      52.9 KB · Views: 162

Mr H

Well the good thing for now is if you have a PTCH, it doesn't state which method, so an occasional print is not a violation of statute AFAIK. They'll probably change it if we win Woolard.

I decided not to get into a debate in my interview, where the trooper was completely insistent that all carry HAD to be concealed in MD.

I left it with, "I'm sure a lot of things will be changing... I guess we'll see wheree things end up."

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA

and since it doesn't specify...you could go from CC to OC and back again...as often as you wanted...shirt/jacket flapping in wind, etc. Or by simply removing your jacket because it's too warm for it...then putting it back on again later.

Mr H

and since it doesn't specify...you could go from CC to OC and back again...as often as you wanted...shirt/jacket flapping in wind, etc. Or by simply removing your jacket because it's too warm for it...then putting it back on again later.

Nice, in theory.

Even though mode isn't technically specified, be sure of two things (that have been mentioned in lo these many threads)...

1 - OC will get ytou noticed by the Constabulary... and likely not in a good way (at least for the forseeable future)

2 - Time/Place/Manner of carry will likely be changed in the Woollard fallout... no way MD is going to fold easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom