• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    hmm. seems like there must be another side to this because they did not target anyone else.

Good job keeping them honest!

Dont forget - how we got screwed on the cloture vote in the senate. that was was a vote with the antis that they hope we will forget.

I agree with the above comment

"This is not the NRA's doing, this is the citizens of Maryland that are PISSED OFF that this is EVEN being considered!!!! "

Silent Hunter

Feb 22, 2013
    I agree. I am not calling for any resignations until I see names that actually votes "opposed" or "supported". How many times are we misled by politicians that say they're on our side only to vote against us? We saw it in the senate only a month ago.

This!

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Just sent:

Del. Costa - You recently wrote to a colleague asking him to refrain from contacting you on matters relating to several legislative proposals on firearms.

Sir, these matters are very important to me. I see them as an infringement on my right to self defense and in my lawful enjoyment of shooting sports.

I will not refrain from contacting my elected representatives on important legislation currently under consideration.

Any contact with your office has NOT come as a result of any NRA contact. While I contribute to several NRA groups, they have largely been silent in Maryland. I welcome Ms Alford's participation in this year's efforts.

I want to thank you for your letter regarding SB 281, The Governor’s legislation to restrict our Constitutional Rights to bear arms. As always, I have opposed any and all legislation that attempts to remove and restrict the citizen’s rights in accordance of the United States Constitution. . . .I hope it’s not too late in Maryland this year. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any issue that is important to you and your family. My office telephone number is (410) 841-3551

I urge you to continue to oppose restrictions on Maryland gun owners. I urge you to speak out on these matters.

flyingblind

Oct 3, 2012
    Ive spent a good bit of time in Shannon's company since this all started this year. Personally I think the Delegate is misinformed, she has worked very hard to fight this thing and I doubt she wants to screw it up at the end of the 4th quarter.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Just got this email response from my rep:

I want to thank you for your letter regarding SB 281, The Governor’s legislation to restrict our Constitutional Rights to bear arms. As always, I have opposed any and all legislation that attempts to remove and restrict the citizen’s rights in accordance of the United States Constitution. I am however; very disappointed in the NRA’s recent mass telephone calls that misled our constituents to believe that I and many of my colleagues’ who traditionally support gun owner’s rights were considering the support of amendments to the Governor’s bill. I believe this panic caused by the NRA was unnecessary; my vote has always been for the gun owners.
    I called Mr. Chuck Cunningham, Legislative Director for the NRA. I asked him why he caused this panic and why they misled my and many of my colleagues constituents to believe we were considering a change to our position? He replied, “he didn’t read the script that way,” as a result I received over 1000 emails and hundreds of calls from constituents I had already responded to stating I am opposed to this legislation. The Maryland NRA representative, a woman named Shannon Alford came up with this idea. Please help me strengthen the support of our second amendment Legislators by calling Mr. Chuck Cunningham at (703) 267-1228 and demand his resignation and the termination of the Maryland representative Shannon Alford for causing these irresponsible misleading mass telephone calls to our pro gun citizens without any reason. We will lose supporters in the Legislature in Maryland and nationally if this continues. I hope it’s not too late in Maryland this year. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any issue that is important to you and your family. My office telephone number is (410) 841-3551

MY BS meter just pined in the red.

Anyone buying this at all.

I just noticed that this letter does not contain the words " I will vote against the bill"..

"We will loose support ?" huh ?

I really want to hear from the NRA. I would not even believe at this point that the NRA even did any calls at all. Now there may be another organisation that has posted here that might do something that stupid.... The letter implies that the NRA confirmed that they are behind the calls but I reserve judgement --- any official word would be appreciated.

Update

http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/06hse/html/msa14000.htm

anyone know his history. He is a Republican, but other than that I know nothing.

SAlford

private citizen
    Oct 15, 2012
    Fairfax, VA
    Every member of HGO and JUD had the same call sent to our members in their districts. The call informed our members that the committees would be considering amendments to SB 281, that some amendments were positive ones, some were negative, and asked our members to call and encourage their legislators to support the positive amendments and defeat the negative amendments. In no way did we, nor do we ever, state or assume the position a particular legislator would take on the bill.

On a personal note, I love my job, and I wouldn’t be doing it if I didn’t have a personal and passionate stake in the defense of the Second Amendment. I refuse to apologize for doing everything in my power to ensure that NRA members and Maryland citizens are kept aware, informed, and engaged.

Kralc15

Feb 15, 2013
    Costa's Firearms Legislation

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&tab=subject3&id=hb1355&stab=01&ys=2013RS

Del. Costa sponsored a bill that would make it mandatory for a person seeking to purchase a firearm to receive a Certificate from a Physician, stating that they are mentally able to possess a firearm. Said certificate would have to have been written within 30 days of the purchase, thus making a mental evaluation necessary every month to continue expressing your second amendment rights.

EDIT: Wording

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Every member of HGO and JUD had the same call sent to our members in their districts. The call informed our members that the committees would be considering amendments to SB 281, that some amendments were positive ones, some were negative, and asked our members to call and encourage their legislators to support the positive amendments and defeat the negative amendments. In no way did we, nor do we ever, state or assume the position a particular legislator would take on the bill.

On a personal note, I love my job, and I wouldn’t be doing it if I didn’t have a personal and passionate stake in the defense of the Second Amendment. I refuse to apologize for doing everything in my power to ensure that NRA members and Maryland citizens are kept aware, informed, and engaged.

Would it be helpful for us to call that number and tell them what a great job you are doing? Do you know if they are getting a lot of calls regarding his message?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Shannon has be responsive to anyone who has contacted her. In fact, as NRA representatives go, she is one of the best Maryland has ever had. I would hate to lose her as we face the current fight in Annapolis and it has the potential to drag out in the courts. She is a great asset to us, MSI, MSRPA, SAF, and the AGC in our fight.

Tidewatcher

Jan 29, 2012
    I do not like this.

Something appears foul here. This is the end of the session and Delegate Costa is and should be real busy. I find it difficult to accept that he or anyone in Annapolis has the time and energy to launch a campaign to remove two NRA employees from employment. I see this as an attempt to create dissention and diversion from the real issues at hand. We must remain united and on course with our goals of defeating the attempts to assassinate the 2nd Amendment. I have not received any communication from Costa or anyone in Annapolis at this juncture asking me to engage in a war against NRA employees. If I do, it won't matter. I want no part of asking anyone who has helped our cause to resign. I am grateful for anything that they have done to advance my desires. My time and effort will be spent to defeat the Governor's bill package and the host of other unfriendly gun bills.

Library Guy

Library Marksmanship Unit
    May 25, 2012
    I got a robo call from the NRA last week urging me to contact my rep Nic Kipke regarding SB 281.

To the best of my knowledge, Nic is on our side.

The NRA probably doesn’t have the ability to fashion their robo calls into smart bombs. So they nuked from orbit… So be it.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    I got a robo call from the NRA last week urging me to contact my rep Nic Kipke regarding SB 281.

To the best of my knowledge, Nic is on our side.

The NRA probably doesn’t have the ability to fashion their robo calls into smart bombs. So they nuked from orbit… So be it.

Yeah it doesn't matter. Smart bombs would be in a perfect world, for limited resistance. These days a nuke from orbit IS the only way...so good on the NRA using their power to get the word out.

ThatIsAFact

Mar 5, 2007
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&tab=subject3&id=hb1355&stab=01&ys=2013RSHe Claims to be the friend of Gun Owners, yet he sponsored a bill that would make it mandatory for a person seeking to purchase a firearm to receive a Certificate from a Physician, stating that they are mentally able to possess a firearm. Said certificate would have to have been written within 30 days of the purchase, thus making a mental evaluation necessary for almost every firearm purchase...

It was a bad bill (H.B. 1355, now dead in committee), but the certificate requirement did not apply to "almost every firearm purchase." It applied to people who had been confined for at least 10 consecutive days for treatment of a mental health disorder. [NOTE: In response to Kralc15's post below, I read the bill again more carefully, and he's right -- although the bill would extend a firearms possession disqualification to those who have been confined for more than 10 days (the current state law is 30 days), unless they have a psychiatrist's certification, it also requires a psychiatrist's certification to be filed with every regulated firearms transfer. This is such a bizarre notion that I have to wonder if it was a drafting error, but that is what it says.]

Here is the text:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/hb/hb1355f.pdf

Moreover, the bill would ALSO have raised the fee for each transfer of a regulated firearm from $10 to $50!

Last edited:

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County

Thanks Shannon! B^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom