• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I found a great deal on this indoor range anyone been there? Any good or bad?

What is the great deal? You will get mixed opinions about that place. Do a search on this forum and you'll see a lot of threads about them. I don't know where you live, but Freestate in White Marsh/Middle River is a much better range.

Elgan

NRA Endowment Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Harford County
    I used to go there frequently under the old management (forgot what it was called back then). I read great reviews about the place, but the new front just seems too sterile and "country club" for me, to be honest. Some folks like that (and rightfully they should, since stricter safety policies are typically in effect, along with RSOs and the like), but I just can't get on board with the new vibe.

The couple times I stopped in there since it became H&M, I was treated courteously and the staff seemed pleasant enough and helpful. They were open to doing transfers and assisting with the preparation and purchase of a suppressor (which I eventually opted to not go through with, through no fault of their own - money issues).

TLDR; I have nothing bad to say about the place, but it's your typical "premium on store bought ammo" kinda indoor range.

almiller1963

Oct 18, 2013
    Forest Hill, Md
    I found a great deal on this indoor range anyone been there? Any good or bad?

I have nothing but good experiences with them. The folks there are helpful and I have never needed to wait very long to shoot. If you ask for help they give it to you or you can just shoot. Not sure what more folks expect.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

I have shot there off & on since they re-opened as Horst & McCann at least 5 years ago...

I have been treated very well & have bought, sold & transfered hand guns & rifles there...

I have only positive things to say...

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I used to go there frequently under the old management (forgot what it was called back then). I read great reviews about the place, but the new front just seems too sterile and "country club" for me, to be honest. Some folks like that (and rightfully they should, since stricter safety policies are typically in effect, along with RSOs and the like), but I just can't get on board with the new vibe.

The couple times I stopped in there since it became H&M, I was treated courteously and the staff seemed pleasant enough and helpful. They were open to doing transfers and assisting with the preparation and purchase of a suppressor (which I eventually opted to not go through with, through no fault of their own - money issues).

TLDR; I have nothing bad to say about the place, but it's your typical "premium on store bought ammo" kinda indoor range.

The old place was called Gunpowder Indoor Range. I used to shoot there.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I used to shoot at the old Gunpowder Indoor range a LOT.

I have been to H&M once. They insisted on fully metal cased bullets. I had only cast lead, so I said so long. They started telling me all these reasons why. I told them, I did not care about the reasons, I have not brought that type of ammo and I was not buying ammo from them.

After a while, they finally let me shoot.

Range is OK. I did not see any evidence of any supervision by an RSO or anyone.

I may go in the winter, when it is too cold to shoot a SLCFSA outdoor ranges, but that would be the only reason.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=60726&highlight=horst

Most of the people who won't support them, myself included, make the decision based on their old policies. I understand things changed, ironically (or not so ironically) once some competition sprung up, but I won't give them a dime.

They may have technically changed policies.....but they still try and ******** you by saying your ammo isn't allowed so you'll have to buy theirs. Ask me how i know.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    They may have technically changed policies.....but they will still try and ******** you into saying your ammo isn't allowed in order to try and get you to buy theirs. Ask me how i know.

They always wanted $$$$$$! for their shitty reloads. No thanks.

Feb 28, 2013
    Nobody else mentioned it so I will.

Only pistol calibers are allowed there, so no AR's or AK's.

You'll have to go to Freestate for that.

CarlosM

Mar 12, 2013
    Nobody else mentioned it so I will.

Only pistol calibers are allowed there, so no AR's or AK's.

You'll have to go to Freestate for that.

According to their website they do.

5.56 frangible
    7.62x39 frangible
    .308 frangible

I went there a few times, but once I discovered Freestate I never went back to H&M. I never felt comfortable there and it gets pretty tight when you have 3-4 people in a lame. I prefer Freestates's 2 per lane rule and their customer service.

CarlosM

Mar 12, 2013
    Then that must be new. They never used to.

Probably. When I last shot there a few years ago all their "AR" type rifles they had for rent were 22LR. and jammed a lot. Almost turned me away from firearms all together. Fortunately my teenage son insisted on going shooting and the rest is history. And expensive. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom