• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When I was buying, I saw the same reviews and decided to NOT buy the Hornady.

I ordered a PACT, but when it didn't show up in a couple of weeks, I called and was told they were 8 - 12 weeks to get more in. NOTHING on the website, NOTHING in the order confirmation, NO email from the company. I canceled the order.

I ended up with the RCBS Chargemaster.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

Accurate enough for fclass or precision stuff? Currently I'm using a tuned beam scale and the omega trickler and it takes a LONG time to load.

Wondering if the Chargemaster is a viable option?

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Accurate enough for fclass or precision stuff? Currently I'm using a tuned beam scale and the omega trickler and it takes a LONG time to load.

There is a pair of brothers over in Virginia that shoot Benchrest and they build the Herald Culver Powder Measures for reloading and there stuff is top shelf. I own the small Culver for pistol and small rifle cases and it is amazing in consistency, it will drop within a 1/10th of a grain each time. There equipment is not cheap but money well spent.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    There is a pair of brothers over in Virginia that shoot Benchrest and they build the Herald Culver Powder Measures for reloading and there stuff is top shelf. I own the small Culver for pistol and small rifle cases and it is amazing in consistency, it will drop within a 1/10th of a grain each time. There equipment is not cheap but money well spent.

I have a Scott Parker tuned scale but again takes FOREVER to trickle every single round. Chargemaster seemed perfect if its fairly accurate? I wold still trickle my precision stuff, but hunting rounds would be much faster.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I have a Scott Parker tuned scale but again takes FOREVER to trickle every single round. Chargemaster seemed perfect if its fairly accurate? I wold still trickle my precision stuff, but hunting rounds would be much faster.

Not starting a argument here but, Its nobody's time to waste but your own. In all the years I shot benchrest I don't remember seeing any tricklers on the benches behind the shooting line. But I did see a shitload of Harrels Culver high end powder measures. I was taught that a scale was used to check that your powder measure was throwing the charge you set it for and nothing more. If you purchase a high quality measure you don't have to sit and watch the balance beam float forever. Oh and if you did not need a high end measure like ' Harrells' Why does your boy Scott Parker sell Harrels Culver measures on his website ????

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    When I was buying, I saw the same reviews and decided to NOT buy the Hornady.

I ordered a PACT, but when it didn't show up in a couple of weeks, I called and was told they were 8 - 12 weeks to get more in. NOTHING on the website, NOTHING in the order confirmation, NO email from the company. I canceled the order.

most of my equipment is rcbs and I have not had any problems with them. but their dispenser combo is 350.00. which is out of my budget right now even with the club points I have. I really need a better scale and I was thinking it would speed things up a little if I got a combo kit

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It depends on how accurate YOU want to be.

Based on OCW and OBT theory, small charge weight differences should not make a difference in accuracy, IF you are on a node.

The Chargemaster weighs the charge to the 1/10 grain. So ultimate accuracy would be +/- 0.05 grain. But more likely +/- 0.1 grains.

It has been good enough for me to hit steel at 1200 yards with a .308.

My thing with those who weigh charges to 0.01 grains is, are you only using cases with EXACTLY the same internal volume? If not, what does weighing to that precision gain for you?

Last edited:

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Not starting a argument here but, Its nobody's time to waste but your own. In all the years I shot benchrest I don't remember seeing any tricklers on the benches behind the shooting line. But I did see a shitload of Harrels Culver high end powder measures. I was taught that a scale was used to check that your powder measure was throwing the charge you set it for and nothing more. If you purchase a high quality measure you don't have to sit and watch the balance beam float forever. Oh and if you did not need a high end measure like ' Harrells' Why does your boy Scott Parker sell Harrels Culver measures on his website ????
    I'm still new to the reloading game and to be honest I didn't even think about using a powder measure rather than a trickler. It takes me a long time watching the beam scale bounce around and looking for something to speed it up.
    It depends on how accurate YOU want to be.

Based on OCW and OBT theory, small charge weight differences should not make a difference in accuracy, IF you are on a node.

The Chargemaster weighs the charge to the 1/10 grain. So ultimate accuracy would be +/- 0.05 grain. But more likely +/- 0.1 grains.

It has been good enough for me to hit steel at 1200 yards with a .308.

My thing with those who weigh charges to 0.001 grains is, are you only using cases with EXACTLY the same internal volume? If not, what does weighing to that precision gain for you?

Right and that is my thought process as well. +/- .01 grains I would still be ok. Hmm something to think about.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    The scoops have come in really handy to speed up 30-06 loading for me. I use the scoop to get close on the scale, and trickle the rest.

I love the powder dispenser on my Dillon. Spot on time after time with ball powder. I hear great things about the Redding too.

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    I have one and it as been back to the factory once already as it would not calibrate. Still won't accurately and consistently throw a charge. I still have hopes of getting it working right, but at this point it is untrustworthy. I have a lot of Hornady stuff, and they generally have good products, but this is one I can't recommend.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm still new to the reloading game and to be honest I didn't even think about using a powder measure rather than a trickler. It takes me a long time watching the beam scale bounce around and looking for something to speed it up.

Right and that is my thought process as well. +/- .01 grains I would still be ok. Hmm something to think about.

Oops, meant those weighing to +/- 0.01 grains.

I am fine with 0.1 grains.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There are a couple of mods to make it work better.

When I am home, I can post the reprogramming instructions to make it dispense faster. Or you can Google them. But realize, the numbers given may need to be tweaked.

The other thing is the straw or pen mod. Plenty of info on the straw mod if you Google. then pen mod seems to work better.

I will post info when I get home.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    There are a couple of mods to make it work better.

When I am home, I can post the reprogramming instructions to make it dispense faster. Or you can Google them. But realize, the numbers given may need to be tweaked.

The other thing is the straw or pen mod. Plenty of info on the straw mod if you Google. then pen mod seems to work better.

I will post info when I get home.

Is this it? Bottom of page?

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/speed-up-your-rcbs-chargemaster/

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes. You can play with those 3 parameters to keep from over throwing charges, but not spend too much time in slow speeds.

Some people have found that raising the front of the machine by about 2 quarters thickness helps reduce over throws.

What happens is when it gets down to the really slow speed trickle, a bump of the dispenser drops a clump of powder and you are over by 0.1 - 0.2 grains. If I am watching, I can see that clump drop and know it will be over.

The straw mod helps. The pen mod helps more. I will post tomorrow or the next about the pen mod.

Oh, and WAIT until the unit beeps to tell you that is back in weighing mode before removing the pan. When the unit stops dispensing, it will show the desired charge weight, then after a few seconds, beep and show the actual weight.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Yes. You can play with those 3 parameters to keep from over throwing charges, but not spend too much time in slow speeds.

Some people have found that raising the front of the machine by about 2 quarters thickness helps reduce over throws.

What happens is when it gets down to the really slow speed trickle, a bump of the dispenser drops a clump of powder and you are over by 0.1 - 0.2 grains. If I am watching, I can see that clump drop and know it will be over.

The straw mod helps. The pen mod helps more. I will post tomorrow or the next about the pen mod.

Dang, Pinecone... four years later and I'm STILL waiting for those links to the straw and pen mods for the Auto Charge. :innocent0

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014

I built my own auto trickler that works like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACd3yt0J3Bg&t=1s

It has a much better resolution than the CM1500 or any of the other +\-.1 grain digital scales. I also wish they included parameter information with them too. I don't like my scales to self zero or do anything that I might not be aware of for that matter.

Like this for example.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmxBSOOL7Ks

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom