• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Guys,

I am measuring my chamber for seating depth to ogive on my first batch of reloads for the new Savage. When I use the OAL gage, I encounter "Soft" resistance at 1.960" and a hard stop at the lands at 2.080". The ogive is such that it kinda skids across the lands until it encounters hard resistance. Would it be OK to go with the longer measurement and back off .020?

I'll be starting with 26.0 grains of Varget.

Thanks,

ST.243

Praeger

Apr 7, 2014
    Howard County
    The "soft" resistance you feel could be the bullet entering the leade. It could also be a ring of carbon deposit, not uncommon at that point. With the Hornady tool itself, the inner plastic rod could be rubbing/binding against the outer aluminum tube. The inner rod has two very small ridges 180 apart that run the length of the rod which are from the molding process. They can easily be removed by dragging a razor blade (not pushing the blade) along the ridge until it is scrapped away. The inner rod should slide easily inside the outer aluminum tube.

Regardless, I would consider the "hard" stop the correct reading, and start at .020" off that point.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    The "soft" resistance you feel could be the bullet entering the leade. It could also be a ring of carbon deposit, not uncommon at that point. With the Hornady tool itself, the inner plastic rod could be rubbing/binding against the outer aluminum tube. The inner rod has two very small ridges 180 apart that run the length of the rod which are from the molding process. They can easily be removed by dragging a razor blade (not pushing the blade) along the ridge until it is scrapped away. The inner rod should slide easily inside the outer aluminum tube.

Regardless, I would consider the "hard" stop the correct reading, and start at .020" off that point.

Thanks, Praeger. I ended up going with a seating depth to ogive of 2.064" and everything went fine. No pressure signs or any other issues.

Regards,

ST.243

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom