• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    Had an occurrence yesterday that's gotten the old wheels trying to turn. I'd gone out and shoveled snow from one side of my driveway to the other, came in and was sipping a coffee and checking out the web when the front door banged open. (I've got it so weather stripped that you have to push it closed). Funny how ones mind tends to work, making a gross assumption I have one. I paused a msec to see what was coming in, second screenshot was of the dog sitting infront of the door and a) not going crazy and b) not moving fast to get behind my legs and bark. Apparently the wind had kicked the door open but my response and lack of 'tools' for an impending tragedy has caused me to think. And I'm curious how others here think they would do in a situation like that. Similar to what happened to Don a few months ago, my 'home defense' is in the safe in the computer room, three feet away, handy and ready, but it might as well have been miles away the good it did me. What if the wind had had a baritone voice? Even a shotty in the closet (4 feet) wouldn't have helped if the wind had a 45 with it, and my movement would have highlighted whatshername sitting there with an Alfred E. Newman look on her face, a perfect target.
    So, ideas/recommendations? What would you do in a situation like that, an open assault on your front door with you sitting there not imagining that? A lot of us practice being elsewhere in the house, hearing the assault and reacting from an area of coverage, but this is sorely different. Am curious.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Many people laugh when I tell them that I carry my Ruger LCP unless I'm in bed or the shower. I can't say I Have a perfect response planned, but at least I have some tools at hand if needed.

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    The keypoints that we tend to forget in our daily lives are:

Being Prepared- having the necessary tools handy. Some advocating having a weapon in each room, or conceal carrying while in the home or on your property.

Being Proactive- taking the time to shut and lock doors (and windows) behind us. Criminals love to be given the easy oppurtunity- an open door is just calling them. We also need to pay attention to our surroundings that could give us clues of possible danger.

I would have seen what was handy as a weapon- your cup of hot coffee could be used as a defensive weapon- you can walk out with it near your mouth (appearing to be in mid-sip) and fling it into the face of the intruder. Then you can attack or retreat (based on response & your confidence) to a safe place where a weapon is accessible If it was just a friendly neighbor or a kid, then you don't appear threatening.

Another thought to ponder- what happens if someone walked up on you while you were bent over shoveling snow? Would you fling snow in their face and then beat them with the shovel?

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Two thoughts here from my usual spot in the living room...

When I come in, the doors are locked behind me, deadbolts included. I also keep myself within arms reach of some response at all times, even in the shower or in bed.

Paranoid and prepared look a lot alike and people in those catagories live longer.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    +1 on the locked doors. My wife has a habit of forgeting to lock the front when she comes in. I replaced the locks with the ones that lock themselves. Now she gets mad when she locks herself out of the house.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I've struggled with this line of thought as well. Would I be one of those "gun nuts" for keeping a loaded gun in the living room in case of a front door break in?

Yet I read a story from last month where a young man broke into a home and beat to death a young child (like 3 if I remember?). No prior relation between the assailant and the family he assaulted.

It does happen and I do lock my doors when I'm at home. But I don't want to live in fear either. I don't have the answer to your questions but I've been thinking about this too.

STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    90% of the time I lock the door, deadbolt. This time... IRT weapons close by, what slammed me in the face (other than a few flurries through the door) was if Dipstick was in a foul mood and gunning, I'd be dead. Heck by the time I stand up and pull the 380 outta my pants (if I was carrying it then) he could still drill me. Even if he wasn't gunning at the time my actions would make sure he'd come to that decision.
    As to an assault while shoveling snow, as happy as I am to be doing that, walking up to me with an attitude wouldn't be a safe thing to do:D

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Two thoughts here from my usual spot in the living room...

When I come in, the doors are locked behind me, deadbolts included. I also keep myself within arms reach of some response at all times, even in the shower or in bed.

Paranoid and prepared look a lot alike and people in those categories live longer.

Amen. I'm almost always in position to greet an unexpected guest, whether it be with chips and beer, or a few hundred grains of precious metal. :)

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    Similar incident recently for me...
    1 am and the house alarm goes off! The only thing going through my bleary mind as I jumped out of bed is the time and distance between me and my HD shotgun (12 feet 1 closet door and 4 digit combo for the safe) Might as well have been the next state with as fast as my mind was moving and the crappy part was I knew it. In my mind I could see a goblin moving through the house and to the bottom of the stairs, the alarm is screaming at over 120dB, the dog is freakin out downstairs, my wife was asking me what she should be doing, my three kids are at the other end of the hall and they don't seem to be responding to the alarm at all (how can kids sleep so soundly). My mind spun but I kept moving until my wife pointed out that the alarm panel was saying the alarm source was the master bed room window.

ALL STOP!!!! What did she say...yeah the alarm code was for the window that I just walked past on my way to the shot gun!

So if you have an alarm sysytem take note, when the battery in a sensor fails the alarm will go off.

Moral of the story is that if that had been a goblin my current plan is not enough.

STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    Amen. I'm almost always in position to greet an unexpected guest, whether it be with chips and beer, or a few hundred grains of precious metal. :)

I'm allergic to precious metal, but let me know when you've got the chips and beer out!:party29:

1 am and the house alarm goes off! The only thing going through my bleary mind as I jumped out of bed is the time and distance between me and my HD shotgun (12 feet 1 closet door and 4 digit combo for the safe) Might as well have been the next state with as fast as my mind was moving and the crappy part was I knew it. In my mind I could see a goblin moving through the house and to the bottom of the stairs, the alarm is screaming at over 120dB, the dog is freakin out downstairs, my wife was asking me what she should be doing, my three kids are at the other end of the hall and they don't seem to be responding to the alarm at all (how can kids sleep so soundly). My mind spun but I kept moving until my wife pointed out that the alarm panel was saying the alarm source was the master bed room window.

ALL STOP!!!! What did she say...yeah the alarm code was for the wind that I just walked past on my way to the shot gun!

So if you have an alarm sysytem take note, when the battery in a sensor fails the alarm will go off.

Moral of the story is that if that had been a goblin my current plan is not enough.

My point exactly. It's not like on the boat, hear the alarm ring out and sprint for the sonar shack, here I'm not expecting anything, either in bed asleep or sitting on the computer writing replies on the MDS forum, and suddenly something happens. For me, I locked for a second. That could be a lifetime.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Home safety comes to a pratcial safeness for me.

If it's only me and my wife in the house othere is a handgun without arms reach. There are a few others inside the safe which she also has fired and knows the basics off.

I wouldnt go nuts and start blasting a door. It's very important to identify a target as a threat.

It's okay to think jonny dirt ball is going to kick the door, open fire, and kill you mid stride...but realistically they arent trained and most burglarers arent armed to begin with.

Now if we have kids in the house the rules change a bit....but I'll still take my chances.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County

ALL STOP!!!! What did she say...yeah the alarm code was for the wind that I just walked past on my way to the shot gun!

Similar situation but my wife had taken the dog out the front door and forgot to lock it and didn't close it properly prior to me turning the alarm on. At 1:00 am the front door opens from the wind and I scamble out bleary eyed with my hickory ax handle, having left the Glock in the side table. As I came to my senses and waited for the alarm company to call my 4-yr-old snuggled up into my lap at the table, scared witless.

2 things hit me broadside: 1) I left the gun in the bedroom and brought the stick?!?!? 2) My kids didn't know enough about the alarm to stay put for the 'bad guy' alarm and run the fire excape plan for the fire alarm.

Of course after alarm people called I completely cleared the house with the proper tools.

Then I had a come-to-Jesus later that day with the family and with myself. I spent some time while they were out and ran through a few drills just to be sure I had a REAL plan memorized. I've got a minivault for the pistol and I now practice opening it eyes closed twice every night before going to sleep. Then I had my wife turn the clock alarm on for 1:00 am and told her to kick me and tell me someone was beating on the door. She did and the plan worked or rather my brain worked properly. Now I just need to stay 'ready'.

As far as someone hitting the front door CQB style, you have to remember that they probably won't know your exact position. If they are professionals you are done, nothing you can do about it but you probably aren't a big target in the underworld or for TSA special operators at the moment. Otherwise, you should know where you have some cover, work with as much concealment as you have and keep moving. If all else fails, we have a technique in the infantry where you have a close ambush and no cover. It's called assault through. If they are going to do it, make them do it right. Don't forget your rebel yell or battle cry depending on your heritage. Works surprisingly well...

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Similar situation but my wife had taken the dog out the front door and forgot to lock it and didn't close it properly prior to me turning the alarm on. At 1:00 am the front door opens from the wind and I scamble out bleary eyed with my hickory ax handle, having left the Glock in the side table. As I came to my senses and waited for the alarm company to call my 4-yr-old snuggled up into my lap at the table, scared witless.

2 things hit me broadside: 1) I left the gun in the bedroom and brought the stick?!?!? 2) My kids didn't know enough about the alarm to stay put for the 'bad guy' alarm and run the fire excape plan for the fire alarm.

Of course after alarm people called I completely cleared the house with the proper tools.

Then I had a come-to-Jesus later that day with the family and with myself. I spent some time while they were out and ran through a few drills just to be sure I had a REAL plan memorized. I've got a minivault for the pistol and I now practice opening it eyes closed twice every night before going to sleep. Then I had my wife turn the clock alarm on for 1:00 am and told her to kick me and tell me someone was beating on the door. She did and the plan worked or rather my brain worked properly. Now I just need to stay 'ready'.

As far as someone hitting the front door CQB style, you have to remember that they probably won't know your exact position. If they are professionals you are done, nothing you can do about it but you probably aren't a big target in the underworld or for TSA special operators at the moment. Otherwise, you should know where you have some cover, work with as much concealment as you have and keep moving. If all else fails, we have a technique in the infantry where you have a close ambush and no cover. It's called assault through. If they are going to do it, make them do it right. Don't forget your rebel yell or battle cry depending on your heritage. Works surprisingly well...

Are you saying to scream like Howard Dean taking the White House?

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Great topic and I think about it all the time (nearly). Master bedroom, I'm covered. Basement, I'm covered. However, if something should go down while we were in the LR watching T.V., we'd be screwed as any unwanted entry would happen between us and my tools. I know I need to secure something in the LR with me/us, but have yet to come up with a good place for it.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I sleep like a rock even though I wake up more often in my senior years. Because I sleep so deep I don't keep the 5-shot revo in the night stand, but under my pillow and a 9mm under the mattress. When I get up the revo gets locked up and the 9 is taken to the first floor and hidden.

I live in Baltimore City and figure even though there are more home invasions, the population in the city drives down the odds of it happening. Still, I want to win/live if the SHTF.

The weak point in my house is the back door and windows, due to the lay of the neighborhood. My plan if someone comes in is to get a weapon and get out of the house. I would rather not have the hassle of killing a worthless dirtbag, but I will go for the gun first in case I get cornered.

In the summer when doors and windows are open I usually carry in the house. Most think I'm paranoid. I think they think, "It won't happen to me", but it's gonna happen to someone and I'm coming out of it alive.

No wife, no kids in my equation.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Great topic and I think about it all the time (nearly). Master bedroom, I'm covered. Basement, I'm covered. However, if something should go down while we were in the LR watching T.V., we'd be screwed as any unwanted entry would happen between us and my tools. I know I need to secure something in the LR with me/us, but have yet to come up with a good place for it.

My Saiga 12 is next to where I sit on the couch... I feel pretty safe with it there. No kids, two 120 lb dogs both very dependable to defend the house... Not gonna be a happy ending for a bad guy.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Are you saying to scream like Howard Dean taking the White House?

If it buys you 1-3 seconds, absolutely. That time can mean the whole ball game.

I had an operator prove to me many moons ago that if he is inside of 20 feet, he can take my gun from me before I can pull the trigger on him. Only caveat was that I can't pull the trigger until he moves. He repeated it a couple of times. The lesson there was not to wait. If there is a legit target, take it down. I could pull the trigger but the gun wouldn't be aimed at him at the time.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    I spent the majority of my time either on my way to work or at work where I cannot carry. It seems extremely paranoid to me to come home, for the few hours I am there to put a gun in my pocket. That is just me. As for locking the front door. My door is hollow, light and is surrounded by plastic windows all around. Locked or not I would have not problem going through that door without tools.

I have two young children and cannot have guns just spread out in the house and don't want to "forget" one in my pants either when I go to bed. Again that is just me.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I spent the majority of my time either on my way to work or at work where I cannot carry. It seems extremely paranoid to me to come home, for the few hours I am there to put a gun in my pocket. That is just me. As for locking the front door. My door is hollow, light and is surrounded by plastic windows all around. Locked or not I would have not problem going through that door without tools.

I have two young children and cannot have guns just spread out in the house and don't want to "forget" one in my pants either when I go to bed. Again that is just me.

Time for the hickory ax handle. Very light, very strong, has a good gripping handle. Hard to take away from the user. Good for plunging strikes and short enough to swing one handed or two. Also doesn't scare the neighbors like a long sword does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom